Customer Service 866.965.0400

1 Step VS. 2 Step

Justin_D

Question

My 2013 Accord coupe has what I would consider medium swirl marks, and I was just wondering if a 1 step could take care of it or if I should go for the 2 step. I'm fairly new to detailing so I don't want to get in over my head, but I also want the best results possible. thank you 

3 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Firebuff17 said:

What tools and polished do you have at your disposal? 

I have never used a 1 step but you will be amazed at what the orange coeecting polish and orange pad can do! 

He asks all the right questions. You can do a lot with a one step polish provided the right combination of tools. Pads have a huge impact on the cutting power.

Your question does need some clarification though. When you say one step, are you talking about a single step of polish?  Or a 1-Step that’s an all in one polish?

The all in one polishes are aimed at those detailing for dollars. Acceptable improvement and some protection all in one nice neat step. In order to do that, sacrifices are all around. It will never polish as well as a true polish. And never protect like a true sealant. It’s a land of compromises to get a bit of each in one bottle.

3 hours ago, Beemer said:

2 > 1

I’m not going to blindly agree with this way of thinking. Two steps isn’t better than one when a finer polish is all that’s needed. At that point you’re taking clear coat off for no good reason. Ideally you don’t want to lose more than 1/3 of the clearcoat over the life of the vehicle in order to keep UV protection at it’s best.

On dark cars, if we compound or even use a more aggressive polish, we always follow with finishing polish. On lighter cars it becomes less essential overall. 

The best way to begin is to find a spot that represents the most damage or the average damage to the paint and do a test spot. Just a 2’x2’ spot will do. Try the least aggressive and see if you’re happy. If not, move to the next step until you find the right combination of pad/polish or compound and then go to town on the entire vehicle. 

You ALWAYS want to go least to most aggressive. With time and experience with different damages and paints, you can look at vehicles and have an idea what they need.