Customer Service 866.965.0400

POLL: Machine Polishing vs. Hand Polishing

How do you prefer to apply polish and wax?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer to apply polish and wax?

• Hand with microfiber applicator pad
    • Machine with Gen1 Pad System
    • Machine with Gen2 Pad System

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Adams kit will work with a 7336 or a 7424, either way. Correct?

Absolutely, they really are the exact same polisher :pc::pc:

Never could figure out how they could call one the HD version just cause it had a longer cord :willy::willy::willy:

How long would you expect the unit to last?

I know Porter Cable is a good brand. I have a circular saw and drill that belonged to my Grandfather. They are both Porter Cable units.

Treat it right and don't drop it alot and I'm sure it will last as long as their other products :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Fine Machine Polish with Porter Cable. Hand wipe with Adams' Micro Fiber Towels..

Gen I pads but will go to Gen II soon. Start with Orange pad, move to White, and finish with Black Pads.

Finish with coat of Machine Super Wax.

That setup will last 6 or so months in the heavy driving season during the summer. All that is needed during that time, barring any unforseen mishaps, is my favorite pink Detail Spray !! :thumbsup:

Val

Edited by dvalentine

I've ALWAYS polished by hand but I got a PC kit from Adams so I will be going that way. I think I'll still hand wax it, but for the major cleaning and what not I will use the PC.

Chris

I've added the Machine Superwax to my lineup since I first responded to this poll so things have changed a bit. All of our vehicles are polished by machine (I've used the Gen1 pads last year and recently got a set of Gen2's that will be used this spring). The vette I will continue to wax by hand with the Buttery Wax because it stays in the garage. The daily drivers will get a coat of Superwax since none of them are garaged. Complete details for all daily drivers once it warms up, then weekly washes, a coat of Buttery Wax by hand every four to six weeks to maintain a deep shine, and of course Detail Spray in between as needed.

edit: Yay 300 posts, watch out Bill :lol:

Usually the PC with Gen 1 pads (I like the quick release, but I'll try gen 2 pads next time I wax). Anyhow, before a show I'll do a quick Buttery Wax by hand just to go over the body carefully and add some last minute gloss. BSG at the show.

Bruce

Edited by b_pappy

I didn't vote in the poll because it isn't really applicable to my situation. I have a Griot's Garage random orbital machine and use their pads. I use the Adam's Fine Machine Polish and the Machine Superwax. I get outstanding results with this process. I don't know if the Gen 2 pads will fit the Griot's machine. The Griot's machine uses the Velcro attachment system. Will this work with the Gen 2 pads?

Les

I didn't vote in the poll because it isn't really applicable to my situation. I have a Griot's Garage random orbital machine and use their pads. I use the Adam's Fine Machine Polish and the Machine Superwax. I get outstanding results with this process. I don't know if the Gen 2 pads will fit the Griot's machine. The Griot's machine uses the Velcro attachment system. Will this work with the Gen 2 pads?

Les

Is their backing plate 6" in diameter? If so, you are ready to rock! :pc:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hey guys i got a serious question..money is very tight now between school and the failing economy and my new purchase...do you feel as if you will see a huge difference between machine polishing/waxing versus hand polishing/waxing?

Usually the PC with Gen 1 pads (I like the quick release, but I'll try gen 2 pads next time I wax). Anyhow, before a show I'll do a quick Buttery Wax by hand just to go over the body carefully and add some last minute gloss. BSG at the show.

Bruce

I finally got around to use the Gen II pads, they are incredible. I quickly got over not having the quick release spindle, the velcro on the pads is just as nice. Gen II for me now.

Bruce

hey guys i got a serious question..money is very tight now between school and the failing economy and my new purchase...do you feel as if you will see a huge difference between machine polishing/waxing versus hand polishing/waxing?

I've seen great results achieved by hand, especially if you are doing more "maintenance" then having to undo years of abuse & neglect. That said, with a black Viper and a G37, I feel a Porter would be a wise investment, making the job easier & faster.

Bruce