Customer Service 866.965.0400

POLL: Machine Polishing vs. Hand Polishing

How do you prefer to apply polish and wax?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer to apply polish and wax?

• Hand with microfiber applicator pad
    • Machine with Gen1 Pad System
    • Machine with Gen2 Pad System

^ thanks for your fast response..i am thinking the same as well i might just have to hold off on ordering it for a little while...sometimes patience is better...if anyone else has any input towards my decision please chime in thank u all

-john

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a rotary and wool to correct swirls and other paint marring, to clean up the haze from compounding I use the rotary with either a wool polishing pad or foam polishing pad and to finish the paint, I use the rotary with a finishing foam pad to maximize the gloss lastly.

If I need to use a paint cleaner, I use my dual action polisher with a finishing pad. If I am using a wax I generally will use the DA with a finishing pad. If I am using a sealant, I will generally apply those by hand since they tend to be watery.

• 3 weeks later...

I use the PC and it has been fantastic, it saves so much time I have 5 cars to do and they all look GREAT! The Vettes look the best I think though, I have a question though how long do the second gen pads last, it seems my orange pad has seperated around the ring on the back? Am I doing something wrong? The white and the black pad are fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Polish by machine: Flex 3401 99% of the time or a Makita rotary if there's some serious correcting to be done.

Sealants I only apply by hand so that way I can take it nice and slow and triple check my work :2thumbs: Good waxes also go on by hand (literally) or with a foam applicator pad if I'm using cheap stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always waxed and polished by hand.

Ever since seeing Junkman2008 video(s) I'm going to start using the Porter Cable 7424.

I like the exercise and the sunshine while working outside however the shine that Junkman gets with the 7424 is unbelievable:glasses:

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I prefer gen 1 with the porter cable and by hand around lights & handles etc. I occasionally will hand wax with Americana (great product ) but i really like the Machine Super Wax (my cars are outside all the time.

I've just recently got my 7424XP kit and haven't used it yet. Which pads come with it, Gen 1 or Gen 2? And what's the difference?

Thanks

The only pads that Adam's sells are the Generation 2 pads. You can't get the others anymore.

What the Junkman says is of course true! I will add that getting a set of the 4" focus pads is highly recommended. They come in VERY handy whether used on a drill or on the PC.

Chris

Quote:

Originally Said by Chewy

What the Junkman says is of course true! I will add that getting a set of the 4" focus pads is highly recommended. They come in VERY handy whether used on a drill or on the PC.

Chris

A must have!

I left those, my Foam Gun, & Bucket Roller for Holiday & B-Day Gifts! :lolsmack: