Customer Service 866.965.0400

Spring Cleaning

airhog

Question

What is the best way to thoroughly clean my daily driver after a harsh winter with salt from the road, cold temperatures and lots of snow? I was thinking of first bringing it to the self serve car wash and blasting off all the dirt and grime. Any suggestions?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Thanks.<o:p></o:p>

• Answers 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

One thing is what kind of car are you trying to detail?

If its a truck I would go to a self wash place and take the soaper and rinser and the brush and clean the axles and pressure wash all around the undercarriage. A steam cleaner works great too. Just try and rinse the salt off of everything. Really make sure to clean all the chemical off. Some degreaser does wonders also. A MILD degreaser like Simple Green or even simple green's degreaser (or Adam's but Adam's GWC and APC is expensive).

I would imagine you could do most of that to a minivan. Well I don't know actually, is it really low? I would just make sure and clean out all the fenders and the wheels (behind them too) to get rid of all the chemicals and/or salt that was on the roads. I would also make sure to clay bar the whole car after all of this exposure to winter grime.

This winter there were many days it was very slippery on the roads and more sand and salt was put down than other years so I will do an extra thorough wash. The van sits pretty tall and there is lots of wheel well showing so I will clean them very good and spray some Invisible Undercarriage Spray on after. Any more helpful tips, tricks or advice for me?

Thanks.

Pay a little extra attention to the door sills and inside the door jambs. Lots of guys forget to wash, dry and wax there and end up with problems later on. And all along the bottom around the car. That area takes the most hits when it comes to salt and cinders. :thumbsup:

Pay a little extra attention to the door sills and inside the door jambs. Lots of guys forget to wash, dry and wax there and end up with problems later on. And all along the bottom around the car. That area takes the most hits when it comes to salt and cinders. :thumbsup:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Is clay bar a good idea in the spring or should I wait for summer?

It's a good idea anytime if the vehicle needs it. If you haven't ever done it, or it's been awhile, chances are it should be done. Do it AFTER you give the car a good washing but BEFORE you do any polishes or waxes. :cheers:

Take a plastic bag (like a sandwich bag) and put your hand in it. Rub your hand over the car. If it feels rough or sandy, then you need to clay. Just a little detailing trick.

Make sure you knead your clay first to warm it up and make it softer before you use it. :2thumbs:

Whenever it needs to be done is best. I personally don't put any product over my paint at all (except maybe for Detail Spray) when I need to clay bar. Our rigs that spend their lives outside and go over mountain passes need it done biannually at least.

One is usually more than enough. Just use half of the bar first, put the other half away in case you drop the first one. kneed it real good to soften it up and just follow the video and you'll be all set :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

As long as it doesn't get too contaminated clay can be used over and over.

Anymore suggestions/tips/tricks for spring cleaning? The more I know the better because I will be starting a complete spring cleaning soon because the weather is warming up.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Anymore suggestions/tips/tricks for spring cleaning? The more I know the better because I will be starting a complete spring cleaning soon because the weather is warming up.ffice:office" /><o:p></o:p>

For post winter cleanups for my customers, I focus heavily on the undercarriage, wheel wells/suspension components, door jambs, engine bay, and all rubber seals. I leave no stone unturned to ensure road salt isn't hiding anywhere!