Customer Service 866.965.0400

Spotty glass

MrRaspberryJam

Question

6 answers to this question

That to me looks like it needs to be polished. I think I've heard around the forum that some  people use 0000grade steel wool and APC to try and attach some of the waterspots on the glass. But I can't speak to that process.

I would use a glass polish by hand. and for the B pillars, I would use Polish with the white pad and a swirl killer.

I'm one of those people that have used #0000 steel wool many times, mostly on windshields, but also on the side glass.  Plenty of lube, I like using car shampoo and then you find a small section and give it a try.   However, I would try Brilliant Glaze and Revive Hand Polish before I would go to #0000 or any of other items listed below.  I've had both of them take off marks that I didn't think would ever come out and unless it is etched, they tend to do very well.

Before going to #0000, I start with a alcohol or APC wash of the area, Dawn will also work on the windows to life any oils that might be there, just before careful to not get any of those on the body since it will mess with what you work you have done.  When you hit the window with alcohol or APC, if you see a rainbow effect, that generally means that there is a oil or petroleum based on the windows.  It tends to happen when vehicles are parked on city streets with heavy traffic based on the history of the vehicles that I've encountered this with.  

Then there is the miracle spray that's a bit of a pain to remove itself, but can get things off that you'd never image possible WD-40.  When I do WD-40, I like to use a cotton ball, spray a little onto it and then rub it over the affected area and immediately wipe if off with a throw-away shop towel.  I have never tried a pillar, so I don't know what the results would be with #0000, but if you decide to go that route, let us know how it works.  WD-40 and #0000 will clean up an old chrome antenna and make it look brand new.

If not of those item, then you're probably dealing with etching and will be looking at glass polishes and I have replaced pillar posts on vehicles being rehabbed that were messed up too bad.

Thank you guys for all the input! I’m going to remember all of this next time I’m at a job site I never thought of using steel wool. I think I might start bringing a small bottle of Dawn with me and add a little bit to my wash bucket to degrease then whole car before waxing or sealing 

38 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Thank you guys for all the input! I’m going to remember all of this next time I’m at a job site I never thought of using steel wool. I think I might start bringing a small bottle of Dawn with me and add a little bit to my wash bucket to degrease then whole car before waxing or sealing 

Dawn is not good for the rubber trim on cars. It will dry it out. Strip wash or APC mixed with car shampoo would be safer.