Customer Service 866.965.0400

Opinions needed...

shane@detailedreflections

Question

Reaching out for opinions and thoughts...because sometimes other ideas come from nowhere and I like different visions people have. 

I’m considering wrapping my Lotus Evora. It’s orange with silver wheels as pictured here. 84802E2E-7461-433B-8DDA-C37CDE1C7528.thumb.jpeg.72af42c0af90438c91aab8b9a9512da9.jpeg

35F0576A-0C03-4AA2-BCD3-6969400A4F28.thumb.jpeg.06cb8b07ca1f28b906444726f25da208.jpeg

My initial thought was to wrap it matte orange with a gloss black roof, a posts and mirror caps. I think I’m stuck on the black bits. Maybe even the door handles as well. 

The wheels and badging are all going black for sure. The caliper color is to be determined.  

Then the Mrs. asked why not change it all? Despite the extra cost of wrapping door jams and sills...

Enter the idea of a color flip wrap. 

Matte Aquamarine

C62BA336-8DF1-4A00-A0FD-19F0C4E8FEB1.jpeg.15d174f60b8479e62509c3fa513d7790.jpeg

Matte Turquoise Lavendar

50262D3C-7BFD-40FE-9A48-5D38C2554AF3.jpeg.53f958a7dbde32cf3760280a2ed0e361.jpeg

Matte Ultramarine Violet

924079DD-ACD5-4241-956B-C8806BF2073D.png.9eaa551c3a9a56ab971d4c29a249c958.png

Matte Avocado

2E029849-F99B-42A7-9671-868FDCE4BB31.jpeg.26206af41293c4f2b9e0f5a2dd813bb0.jpeg

There’s so many options. I can pick from 3M, Avery Dennison and Oracal films. Like I said, definitely black wheels and emblems. I’m stuck on a gloss black roof, mirror caps and a-posts...maybe handles. That could be gloss carbon too as an option. Caliper color is open. And body color is open. 

The car will be coated in a vinyl specific ceramic when it’s done to lock everything in. 

Share some thoughts and ideas. I need help!

2 hours ago, RayS said:

I can't wait to see it completed, but I do appreciate you posting the process since it gives me an opportunity to learn a bit more about wraps.

You’re welcome. I wish I were more knowledgeable in their application. I’ve thought of taking the class but the cost and expenses make it most likely not worth my investment. Plus I feel it’s a skill you need to do daily to become proficient at it which doesn’t fit in my business model. 

Just seeing what’s done so far is exceeding my expectations of what I had in my mind. I think the car is going to look more aggressive than it did. It got a lot of attention when I’d have it out, and my gut feeling says this will make it get even more. I think even though the color is more subdued with the matte finish, the color shift will catch eyes and it’s subtle enough of a shift to not be overpowering. 

Seeing the gloss against the matte makes both elements really stand on their own and pop. The gloss “upper” of the car will be great. It’ll blend with the glass elements which are already tinted. And the gloss in the lower body will tie it all together. I can’t wait to see it once they put the center hood cover back on since that’s wrapped in gloss black as well. 

I definitely underestimated how much the matte and color shift would pronounce the body lines of the car. I don’t mean that in a bad way at all. The car has so many body lines that it lets your eyes soak it all in. 

The gloss calipers in the body tone color will be good to to draw your eyes in against The black wheels and having the “LOTUS” on the calipers in polished silver will make them stand out. 

Another addition may come in the form of 6mm wheel spacers for the front and 15mm wheel spacers for the rear. This brings the wheels closer to flush with the body. 

The last change we made too is on the back end with the taillights. There’s a chrome bezel that goes between the taillights and the bumper. With changing emblems to black, we are wrapping the chrome bezel on gloss black as well. The reverse lights have a little bit of chrome on them, but you have to completely remove the bumper to pull them and they’re recessed enough that I “hope” it doesn’t stand out. Unless Mike at ACI can find another way to get in there to wrap it. 

So anyway, there’s some thought process in how we decided on each element of the car. It’s definitely easier helping put a vision together for a client than it is with your own vehicle. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve second guessed each decision leading up to this. Colors. Matte. Gloss. Color shift. Accents. The list goes on. 

Edited by shane@detailedreflections

And it’s finally coming together. This week the wrap will be done and the calipers painted. 

Monday we are going down to ACI Dynamix to ceramic coat it and it’ll be home Tuesday. 

The vision is becoming complete. It totally changes everything about the car. 

0B0C01E6-5F27-44D4-A8EF-674E650BC0D5.thumb.jpeg.f784e8a09899f24e91d8f0471f2579be.jpeg