Customer Service 866.965.0400

First time using foam cannon

Chevy_Salon

Question

It`s 29 degrees F. and today was my first time using a foam cannon, so this was also a learning stage for me too. The cannon worked flawlessly. The only problem I had was getting the whole truck washed with my wash mitt before all the soap runs off or dries. I tried to be quick but it`s still too much. Will it work to foam and wash half the truck at a time? I went as fast as I could so I can dry the truck before water spots can set in.

You guys with trucks, could you post your methods on how do the foaming, washing and drying your truck?

I also need to get a shut off valve for my hose so I don`t have to keep making trips to the spigot to turn the water on and off when taking the hose off the pressure washer. Doing this has slowed me down some.

9 answers to this question

I always start with my wheels on my Silverado, then I will rinse the entire truck with the power washer, followed by a complete foam, followed by two bucket wash. If using a ph neutral soap it will not matter if it dries on the paint. Rinse off all soap after contact wash and dry as usual with your favorite drying aide. I haven't had any issues with the method

If you stop by your local Ace hardware you can pick up a good set of Brass quick connects and grab the matching shutoff from the Adam's site and that will help a lot.  If you like the upper end equipment, then look at something along the lines of Eley hose reel and quick connectors.  Of course, you want to make sure you have a good rubber hose that won't kink and will stand up to dragging on the pavement.  Yes, Adam's has you covered on that one also.

As for doing large vehicles, I did a quad-cab, Chevy diesel dually, long box that was Black during the spring in South Carolina.  The sun can dry the shampoo rather quickly and the thing that I have found is to use the shade as much as possible.  I always make sure that as much of the vehicle is in the shade as possible and where the sun is hitting the vehicle, that will be the last part sprayed and first part wiped down.    

If you do get a place that has dried, just go over it again with the wash mitt being real wet and it will revive the shampoo and then you should be good.

4 hours ago, 5.3Ecotec said:

I always start with my wheels on my Silverado, then I will rinse the entire truck with the power washer, followed by a complete foam, followed by two bucket wash. If using a ph neutral soap it will not matter if it dries on the paint. Rinse off all soap after contact wash and dry as usual with your favorite drying aide. I haven't had any issues with the method

I wash my truck the same way you described. The soap did`nt really dry, it mostly ran off to the point where it does`nt look like soap was applied. So, I was a little worried it was going to cause problems.

22 minutes ago, RayS said:

If you stop by your local Ace hardware you can pick up a good set of Brass quick connects and grab the matching shutoff from the Adam's site and that will help a lot.  If you like the upper end equipment, then look at something along the lines of Eley hose reel and quick connectors.  Of course, you want to make sure you have a good rubber hose that won't kink and will stand up to dragging on the pavement.  Yes, Adam's has you covered on that one also.

As for doing large vehicles, I did a quad-cab, Chevy diesel dually, long box that was Black during the spring in South Carolina.  The sun can dry the shampoo rather quickly and the thing that I have found is to use the shade as much as possible.  I always make sure that as much of the vehicle is in the shade as possible and where the sun is hitting the vehicle, that will be the last part sprayed and first part wiped down.    

If you do get a place that has dried, just go over it again with the wash mitt being real wet and it will revive the shampoo and then you should be good.

I just ordered a shutoff valve from the Adam`s store. You calmed my nerves where you said if the soap does dry, I can go over it again.  I started out early in the morning doing this, but the sun started to peak around the corner of my house and I started to panic and rushed things a little. Next time I`ll be more prepared.

Adam's car shampoos (except for Strip Wash) are pH neutral, so no need to worry if it dries. But a couple of thoughts - wash the wheels and tires and exhaust tips first. Then, when you wash the car, rinse the shade side first, apply the soap to the sunny side first, and rinse in the same order. That way the soap provides a barrier as long as possible, reducing the chance of water spots. You can also use something like Detail Spray, CS3 or Graphene Detail Spray to help with water spots. Another great option is to use the deionzier for the final rinse. Washing in the morning and evening are best, too.

To answer one of your questions, yes, you can wash half an half. But there are some methods to use to wash it all at once. As you said, being prepared before you start is key. Adam goes over that and more in the videos below.

When Chris wrote his note about 4 hours ago it was only 71 at my house and usually Sumter is about 2 degrees less than the Columbia area.  I hope you got your vehicles washed today.  I do have to agree with Chris, it needs to be at least 45 and sunny before I wash in the driveway, anything less than that gets a waterless inside the garage.

12 hours ago, RayS said:

When Chris wrote his note about 4 hours ago it was only 71 at my house and usually Sumter is about 2 degrees less than the Columbia area.  I hope you got your vehicles washed today.  I do have to agree with Chris, it needs to be at least 45 and sunny before I wash in the driveway, anything less than that gets a waterless inside the garage.

I would have if it wasn't going to rain all day today, LOL!