Customer Service 866.965.0400

Results from prototype testing

JJ1o87

Hey guys! I was fortunate enough to receive the prototype pads that utilize a cordless drill as per the infinite generosity of our fearless leader Adam! I tested these pads on two spots on my car. The first scratch I've had on the car for as long as I've owned it. I have a feeling I took delivery of the car with this scratch on it and idiot me never saw it. The second scratch happened as a result of people probably not paying attention to where they are walking and brushed up against my rear 3/4 panel.

Culprit #1:

resize1.jpg

resize2.jpg

Culprit #2:

resize3.jpg

resize4.jpg

My car is absolutely filthy because the weather here in NYC is nuts. It will rain for three days straight and we'll be blessed with one gorgeous day only to have more rain for another few days. Typical because I received the new foam gun and all those goodies two weeks ago and have yet to try it out. :willy:

But I digress. Anyway, I sprayed down the area on the edge of the hood with detail spray to make the area clean. I then misted the orange pad with detail spray and put some Swirl and Haze Remover on the pad.

resize5.jpg

I then went to town on that sucker. I was very careful not to use full speed on the drill as I did not want to screw my paint up. I maintained a steady speed and pressure and buffed it out. I noticed immediately that the middle of the scratch for the most part was gone but the edges still remained. Another interesting thing happened. The orange pad disintegrated a little bit and it rained orange fuzz for a few seconds. Here's a pic: note how torn up it got.

resize6.jpg

I went back over the scratch with some Fine Machine Polish on the white pad.

resize7.jpg

After wiping away the residue from the Fine Machine Polish I decided to try the orange pad again to see what else I could remove. On the second pass the middle of the scratch was invisible, but again the edges remained. I then repeated the step with the Fine Machine Polish on the white pad. After that, I whipped out the orbital buffer. I hit that scratch with the orange pad (SHR) followed by white pad (FMP) and concluded with black pad with (MSW). Here is what that scratch looked like after I finished playing around:

resize8.jpg

resize9.jpg

resize10.jpg

In conclusion I am happy with the result. The problem is that the edges of that scratch were actually chipped so the only real way to make that disappear is to fill it with some touch-up paint. Also I'm a tad bit surprised that the orange pad disintegrated on me a little bit. Not sure why this happened but ok lol.

Onward to the rear 3/4 panel! I basically repeated the exact same process as I mentioned before except I only used the cordless drill for one pass with the orange pad instead of two. Here is what that scratch turned into:

resize11.jpg

resize12.jpg

Perfection! I only put my finger there to show you where the scratch was. Again, I want to thank you Adam for hooking me up with these pads. Shine on everyone! :thumbsup:

Edited by JJ1o87

It looks like a bit of 3000 grit and water would have helped reduce the scratches to the point where the pad and SHR would have worked a bit quicker. I ran into this the other day and used the 3000 grit and then the PC and it worked great.

The end result was the same so congrats!

It looks like a bit of 3000 grit and water would have helped reduce the scratches to the point where the pad and SHR would have worked a bit quicker. I ran into this the other day and used the 3000 grit and then the PC and it worked great.

The end result was the same so congrats!

Thanks man - I don't have the testicular fortitude to attempt wet sanding yet tho!

Thanks man - I don't have the testicular fortitude to attempt wet sanding yet tho!

It's A LOT easier than most think...

It looks like someone opened the hood with the wipers up by the looks of that scratch but it's hard to tell on the web... lol

Chris

Hey Jeff, thanks for the write-up! I'm also surprised the Orange Pad flaked away. Did you use any Detail Spray when polishing? :confused:

Sorry, and I'm going to send you a new Orange Pad in the mean time.

Thanks again for the write-up!

Hey Jeff, thanks for the write-up! I'm also surprised the Orange Pad flaked away. Did you use any Detail Spray when polishing? :confused:

Sorry, and I'm going to send you a new Orange Pad in the mean time.

Thanks again for the write-up!

Absolutely, I always spray the pad down with detail spray before I put Swirl and Haze Remover on it. The interesting thing is that I used the yellow and white pad as well and they held up fine. So I'm assuming it was an isolated incident. Not sure, but the pad got a little torn up. Glad I could help you guys out!

Great to know, and that's something to look closely at in the future, and when we sell the Orange Pads, we may want to offer them in 2-Pk's.

Do you think that your Orange Pad is ready for the garbage Jeff?

We need to get this product combo dialed-in before offering it officially. Again many thanks for your input and write-up Jeff!:bow:

Great to know, and that's something to look closely at in the future, and when we sell the Orange Pads, we may want to offer them in 2-Pk's.

Do you think that your Orange Pad is ready for the garbage Jeff?

We need to get this product combo dialed-in before offering it officially. Again many thanks for your input and write-up Jeff!:bow:

I would totally sell em in two packs. I'm not sure if its ready for the garbage, but if I were a customer that just bought that i'd be peeved to say the least lol. It probably has a few more uses left in it tho. Here's a pic of it after I cleaned it up with APC:

IMG00079-20090412-1346.jpg

IMG00080-20090412-1346.jpg

IMG00081-20090412-1347.jpg

IMG00082-20090412-1347.jpg

My orange pad actually split a bit on the side, it looks like someone took a razor and split the edge but it still works fine. (adam don't you dare try and send me a new one, I'll send it back :lolsmack:). I don't know if you could maybe make the orange pad just a bit more robust? Just an idea.

Well, I tried my pads with the drill today. I don't have the MSW or the FMP, so I just used the Swirl and Haze Remover and Buttery Wax.

I had a major scratch on the left headlight cover. A pinecone dropped from the tree and hit it. The white dots are just dust.

000_1931.jpg

000_1932.jpg

So I hit it once with the S&H and the orange pad, then once again with the white pad.

000_1934.jpg

000_1935.jpg

I repeated the process three times total,

000_1936.jpg

000_1937.jpg

then buffed it with the black pad and Buttery wax.

000_1938.jpg

000_1939.jpg

000_1940.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's sure not what it was. I still have to detail the whole car and get rid of the residue and swirls, but it looks much, much better. I tried the process on some hairline scratches that I've had on the door and roof of the Vette for almost 6 years from a piece of carpet that fell from the rafters. I thought they'd never come out, but they're nearly invisible now.

I had no problem with any of my pads. The orange pad looks fine. But this is a pad I just got about two weeks ago, so if there were any changes made since Jeff got his, that could explain a lot.