Customer Service 866.965.0400

Here we go again...Blue painters tape

BrianT

Question

Sorry for all the questions but I have a week off and I can't wait to start. Anybody taping off anything they don't want buffed or is it not a problem? I don't want a lot of white left over polish on my plastic. I will be using the PC.:pc:

A lot of people tape off around the doors, and hood and stuff like that so it does not get in the cracks...

I don't think the plastic is that big of a deal, I have heard just using a generous amount of VRT before hand, then when you are done, you can remove the excess..

It's good practice to tape off the trim and windshield wipers so you don't sling any polish onto them. If you do get polish on the trim, it's easy enough to clean off with some APC - the PC won't cause permanent damage to trim. A rotary on the other hand...:willy:

This is probably necessary if you are using a high speed rotary buffer and want to avoid burning moldings, slinging product, or tearing up emblems

This should not be a problem for most PC or orbital buffer users though

A lot of people tape off around the doors, and hood and stuff like that so it does not get in the cracks...

That's what I do, and I also tape off moldings because they can stain easily if SHR gets onto them. I use Scotch 233+ tape, not the blue one:

00001980.jpg which you can buy from 3M's website for like $3 a roll. I figure the green tape is better for cars because it's the same tape pinstripers use (only wider of course)

That's what I do, and I also tape off moldings because they can stain easily if SHR gets onto them. I use Scotch 233+ tape, not the blue one:

00001980.jpg which you can buy from 3M's website for like $3 a roll. I figure the green tape is better for cars because it's the same tape pinstripers use (only wider of course)

You can get it at this place in all different sizes :cheers:

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Masking_Tapes-3M_233_GREEN_MASKING_TAPE.html

Bill , Thanks , appreciate that site . Quality tape is expensive but very well worth the price . When I tape a car for all over paint job I use a lot of tape , so just have to add that to the price of job. If I cheat on the quality of tape , it has a tendency to come loose when I go past it with the paint gun and the creates a real mess .

Bill , Thanks , appreciate that site . Quality tape is expensive but very well worth the price . When I tape a car for all over paint job I use a lot of tape , so just have to add that to the price of job. If I cheat on the quality of tape , it has a tendency to come loose when I go past it with the paint gun and the creates a real mess .

No problem Mike :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

They seem to process orders quick and ship fast too :cheers:

Edited by C6Bill

I have been able to find the green 3M tape at most auto parts stores in the paint area. And I have also found it sticks better than the blue, and is not a problem to get off. It keeps polish from dumping down the seams, but I remove it from the seams before waxing. :pc:

I'd say 1/2" or 3/4" depending on how big your panel gaps are. I use the 233+ green tape, 3/4" width, to keep from staining black plastic or getting polish stuck in the gaps

This is probably necessary if you are using a high speed rotary buffer and want to avoid burning moldings, slinging product, or tearing up emblems

This should not be a problem for most PC or orbital buffer users though

:iagree:

I'd say 1/2" or 3/4" depending on how big your panel gaps are. I use the 233+ green tape, 3/4" width, to keep from staining black plastic or getting polish stuck in the gaps

Thanks Gerry I might have to pick some of this up for my first full detail with Adam's stuff.

I just picked some up at Wesco Autobody. Wesco is a body supply store. The 1/2" rolls were $3.15 and the 3/4" was $3.85. See if you have a Wesco or any other body supply shop.

I just picked some up at Wesco Autobody. Wesco is a body supply store. The 1/2" rolls were $3.15 and the 3/4" was $3.85. See if you have a Wesco or any other body supply shop.

Never heard of them but I'll keep my eye out now. I'm sure I'll find it in a local store. Thanks for the help.

I like the green stuff !!!!!

web.jpg?ver=12415547090001

lol I see that. My gf even got a kick when I showed her this. I plan on getting the 3/4" green stuff from 3M if and when I do. What's the major benefit of using tape? It saves time in the long run how, or product? I get idea behind it just not sure if it's something I'll get in the habit of doing.

lol I see that. My gf even got a kick when I showed her this. I plan on getting the 3/4" green stuff from 3M if and when I do. What's the major benefit of using tape? It saves time in the long run how, or product? I get idea behind it just not sure if it's something I'll get in the habit of doing.

The 3/4 inch is perfect. I used it this time cause I am doing a 3 stage polish.

There are two main reason I know for doing it. There may be more ;)

1) saves you from getting polish and dust in the cracks that take forever to clean up later

2) the clear can be thin around the seams and this can keep you from getting too close and burning through

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: