Customer Service 866.965.0400

VRT for Chevy Avalanche cladding?

DCRANER

Question

I've used VRT on more than one avalanche and it does a great job of bringing life back into those large plastic panels.

Would you suggest cleaning with Dawn first, then the VRT on the cladding?

Would you suggest cleaning with Dawn first, then the VRT on the cladding?

No real need to use dawn versus just regular car soap unless you've got a lot of built up gunk on there from other trim protectors. If its really nasty I'd say take a soft brush (like one of the BHB fender brushes) and some APC cut down with water and give it a good scrub, just be careful near the edges so you don't hurt the paint.

No real need to use dawn versus just regular car soap unless you've got a lot of built up gunk on there from other trim protectors. If its really nasty I'd say take a soft brush (like one of the BHB fender brushes) and some APC cut down with water and give it a good scrub, just be careful near the edges so you don't hurt the paint.

O/k, then we have a game plan.

1. 2003 Avalanche has some chips from long trips, so probably to the body shop to spray the hood, etc.

2. Will need Adam's fine polish, etc. to give paint some new life. It's not bad now, just a little neglected. It's Arrival Blue, nice color.

3. Do all the cladding, top panels and side cladding with VRT.

4. VRT the 305 / 50 / 20 meats. :drool:

5. I'll take before & after pics.

Any suggestings on package of stuff needed; fine polish, buffer / pads, and so on. :rockon::cheers:

Really what you'd want to look at is this package if you're gonna work by hand -

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-99-adams-essentials-car-detailing-kit.aspx

If you wanna step up to the next level maybe you should look at the complete DA kit -

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-338-adams-complete-dual-action-car-polisher-kit.aspx

Of course the DA kit doesn't include the VRT, so if you need that you can simply add that seperately, even go with a gallon of VRT... seeing as you'll be treating all that avalanche plastic you could use the extra.

Make sure you post up pics when you're all done, arrival blue is by far one of my favorite chevy truck colors.

Really what you'd want to look at is this package if you're gonna work by hand -

If you wanna step up to the next level maybe you should look at the complete DA kit -

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-338-adams-complete-dual-action-car-polisher-kit.aspx

Of course the DA kit doesn't include the VRT, so if you need that you can simply add that seperately, even go with a gallon of VRT... seeing as you'll be treating all that avalanche plastic you could use the extra.

Make sure you post up pics when you're all done, arrival blue is by far one of my favorite chevy truck colors.

Thanks again, I'll also be doing at some point my 09 Vette, just for overkill.

I thought of the PC kit along with FMP, Americana Wax, and DS for upkeep. I have the wash stuff, wheel cleaner, window cleaner, etc.

O/k, I think I will order:

Complete dual action car polisher kit

Americana Wax

Gallon of VRT

And, I already have clay bar, so I'll clay the Avalanche, then FMP, etc. after the local body shop fixes a few nicks and probably re-shoots the hood. :cheers:

... even go with a gallon of VRT... seeing as you'll be treating all that avalanche plastic you could use the extra.

That's what I was thinking when I saw all the cladding. A guy at work has a Land Rover LR3, it has lots of cladding also.

Bruce

The VRT worked great on my Silverado's black cladding (ie the front and rear bumpers, tailgate protector, splash guards, door and tailgate handles) and it totally renewed the Truxedo roll up cover. VRT is the bomb.

The VRT worked great on my Silverado's black cladding (ie the front and rear bumpers, tailgate protector, splash guards, door and tailgate handles) and it totally renewed the Truxedo roll up cover. VRT is the bomb.

The worst portion are the flat panels covering the bed, they have that milky white look. I think it best to first scrub them with APC, maybe diluted?

Any thoughts?

The worst portion are the flat panels covering the bed, they have that milky white look. I think it best to first scrub them with APC, maybe diluted?

Any thoughts?

Always clean the area before dressing it - so using APC first (diluted or otherwise) would definitely be the way to go.

Always clean the area before dressing it - so using APC first (diluted or otherwise) would definitely be the way to go.

As I have not used APC before, would you suggest diluted or not, and I will use a mild scrub brush.

You can use it straight or 50/50: If it's discolored because of polish or wax residue, use it straight, otherwise go 50/50.

Great! My order comes today, the PC7424 kit. Gonna do my 09 Vette, and the 03 Avalanche after some minor repairs. :burnout:

Agreed, with that much faded plastic the end result should be pretty dramatic :2thumbs:

Yes, I plan on pics: Before, after washing with APC, then after VRT. As the truck needs a few touch ups at the body shop I may just take one panel and do that shortly to see the effect I hope to get. Thanks all.

I have always just scrubbed it good with the car wash then treated it. I'll have to try the APC, then treat.

If car wash has been working good for you I would hold off on the APC, its a stronger cleaner compared to the car wash and IMO should only be used if something is really dirty.