Customer Service 866.965.0400

squeegee

694doorbird

Question

Since I'm going to get rid of my chamois, what do you all think of those squeegee's with the silicon blades? I tried one on my little Ranger. It did a good job of removing the water. I then only had a little bit of water to dry with microfiber towel.

25 answers to this question

I like them. I have one of the original California Water Blades. I agree, it does a great job of getting a large amount of water off. I have used on the current rides and my old black '97 Tacoma. I would imagine that the silicone could mar the surface perhaps much like clay would w/o lube. I currently still use it because it is the best for removing heavy water. I follow that up with a MF, which soon will be an Adams white towel. Never tried the leaf blower or compressed air until getting here, but I like that as well to get all the last of the PITA water out of the cracks.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I'm sure other members will interject with their personal opinions, but there is no way I'd ever use one of those water blades on my paint. All it would take is one small particle between the surface and your paint to absolutely make a mess of things. Plus, drying with a WWMF drying towel and quick detailer is far more effective IMO.

A single WWMF can do an entire car or midsized SUV if your technique is right. Your final rinse should be a "sheeting" rinse: pull the nozel off of the hose and allow a heavy stream of water to SHEET the droplets off as much as possible.

Follow that with an air compressor or leaf blower to blow off as much as you can, also get all the water trapped in crevices, door handles, etc.

Finish with a heavy misting of DS and the microfiber drying towel.

Edited by Dylan06SS

I hear what your saying and agree that a small sparticle could do a number but I have yet to run into that. I hose down the blade before using it and run my fingers down it, rinse it again. If the car is just washed, I can't see how something like that could get introduced as long as the blade is clean and there is water on the paint. Actually glides right over it and i bet has close to the same if not less friction as the WWMF.

Now, this is just my opnion on it. I had it on a black vehicle and never saw any issue. I must have used that thing 100+ times. Never saw any defect. But if something did get lodged in there. Forget it. Same as with a MF I would think.

Lose the water blade...

I have two that I no longer use.

Adams Great White drying towel completely dried my wife's daily driver today in 5 minutes.

Could be a contender against the blade. Getting mine soon so I will give it a run. Quick is for me on the drying process.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I'm sure other members will interject with their personal opinions, but there is no way I'd ever use one of those water blades on my paint. All it would take is one small particle between the surface and your paint to absolutely make a mess of things. Plus, drying with a WWMF drying towel and quick detailer is far more effective IMO.

A single WWMF can do an entire car or midsized SUV if your technique is right. Your final rinse should be a "sheeting" rinse: pull the nozel off of the hose and allow a heavy stream of water to SHEET the droplets off as much as possible.

Follow that with an air compressor or leaf blower to blow off as much as you can, also get all the water trapped in crevices, door handles, etc.

Finish with a heavy misting of DS and the microfiber drying towel.

I agree 110% with Dylan! Throw the blade out, even if you haven't run into the dragging a particle across your paint "yet" you will and it's going make for a really bad day.

I hear what your saying and agree that a small sparticle could do a number but I have yet to run into that. I hose down the blade before using it and run my fingers down it, rinse it again. If the car is just washed, I can't see how something like that could get introduced as long as the blade is clean and there is water on the paint. Actually glides right over it and i bet has close to the same if not less friction as the WWMF.

Now, this is just my opnion on it. I had it on a black vehicle and never saw any issue. I must have used that thing 100+ times. Never saw any defect. But if something did get lodged in there. Forget it. Same as with a MF I would think.

I agree -- I use a california water blade but I'm very careful about keeping it clean... I wipe the edges off before I use it, and also after every 3 or 4 swipes. I've never seen it cause a scratch on any of my cars. As was said, you have just as much chance of picking up some debris on a towel as you do on a water blade.

When I was using the California water blade I never experienced a problem with it marking up my vette.

When I said to lose the blades I should have said try one of Adams drying towels.

I was blown away how easily it removed water from my vette.

When I wash the vette I do a final rinse with the nozzle removed so That I get a sheeting of water instead of a ton of water drops. I then back my vette into the garage and I start using the Great white drying towel.

When I used the 12" wide water blade I had to go over some area's several times.

With the towel You lightly pull the towel towards you and the water that was once there just gets COMPLETELY absorbed into the towel.

It is so easy to use and I feel it has less chance of marring the surface compare to dragging the heavier California water blade

I should add, too, that I use the water blade as a first pass to get the heavy stuff off and then use an Adam's waffle towel to get the rest. :thumbsup:

Agreed. Blade for the 1st pass only, MAYBE go over a section 2x. TOPS. Also making sure of cleaning the blade. Then I always used a MF towel. I have an Adam's drying towel en route, so I can't wait to give it a whirl. I don't if could put the blade down altogether. Been with me for 11 years lol.

Although, I have done everything by hand for 11+ years and now I own a PC, so I am always up for something that makes my job easier. :pc:

Methinks a Water Blade/WHite towel combo might be a killer setup.

I've had the California blade for a while, but have never really used it much. I did try it on the Charger last night. Waited until the driveway was shaded before I washed it. It did notice that it left water spots, to the point I had to rewet the car and dry it off.

Look at it this way, would you drag it over your paint if it weren't wet?? The water isn't offering any additional lubricity or protection so think of it in those terms. The water being present may give you a false sense that there is some barrier or lubrication between the paint and the blade, but there isn't... the water blade functions on the principle of PUSHING water off the paint... thus the water is not coming between the paint and the blade.

On the other hand using DS and a mf drying towel you have fibers that are designed not to scratch being aided by the DS abililty to lubricate. There really is no debate... the water blade is not AS SAFE as the DS+MF Drying Towel.

Of course, at the end of the day if it works for you then who am I to tell you otherwise... if the method is your preferred way stick with it.

3 Detail Advisors agree, so it must be true! :grouphug:

:2thumbs:

Pitch the chamois and use the Adam's white drying towel. Works better than the chamois. I have a California blade. It's okay in a pinch, but I never use it on anything other than the DD, and haven't yet used it on my new DD. :thumbsup:

I tried the California water blade on the Ranger this weekend. either it worked to good, or I didn't know how to use it. I could hear/feel the blade dragging the paint even though the truck was totally wet. i can see one of these towels everyone's talking about in my future.

I use a Griots foam rubber blade. It doesn't do nearly as good of a job removing water as the silicon but but it's softer on the paint and doesn't chatter. Could something get lodged under it? Sure...

I only use it to so the windows and any large water droplets. I have 4 or 5 drying towels... Those with DS works the bees knees IMO.:2thumbs:

Edited by Chewy