Customer Service 866.965.0400

Protection from bird etching?

GLBL WMR

Question

What would be the best way to protect from bird bomb etching? I applied two coats of the Buttery Wax, however I am still getting etch marks. Also, would the Swirl and Haze Remover be effective in removing existing etch marks?

22 answers to this question

What would be the best way to protect from bird bomb etching? I applied two coats of the Buttery Wax, however I am still getting etch marks. Also, would the Swirl and Haze Remover be effective in removing existing etch marks?

Either that or you need to the clay the spot and that should get rid of it. Aldo it is good to detail spray so you can clean it off the car when it happens.

Either that or you need to the clay the spot and that should get rid of it. Aldo it is good to detail spray so you can clean it off the car when it happens.

I didn't know that claying was effective on etch marks since the clear is actually damaged.

I use the detail spray and microfiber towel to remove the bomb as soon as I notice it, but I'm asking what I can do to prevent etching from occurring, because pretty much every bomb leaves an etch mark. Is it possible that the mark actually isn't affecting the clear/paint and that the mark is in the coat of wax?

The detail spray will remove some of it, but you will most likely still see a rim or ring where it was. Use the Swirl and Haze Remover on a micro and give it a good rub. You may have to use it several times depending on how long the stuff was on there before you got to it, but it will come off. Then a little bit of buttery wax or some detail spray and you should be good to go. :cheers:

Bird droppings = acid, and left sitting for any period of time will etch into the clear coat unless cleaned ASAP.......I carry a bottle of alcohol and water mix with me when out and about :)

The birds must have it in for you.......as for protection,you might have a use a cover:(

Edited by jjwvette

Bird droppings = acid, and left sitting for any period of time will etch into the clear coat unless cleaned ASAP.......I carry a bottle of alcohol and water mix with me when out and about :)

The birds must have it in for you.......as for protection,you might have a use a cover:(

Seriously, I try to park away from trees and do whatever I can but I can't get away from the bird crap. So not even the Americana or Machine Wax can offer protection against etching?

Seriously, I try to park away from trees and do whatever I can but I can't get away from the bird crap. So not even the Americana or Machine Wax can offer protection against etching?

It can but not much though. It acid in the bombs.

I would recommend Adam's car wash mixed with water in a sprayer: The reason to stay away from quick detailers is that #1 - they do nothing to neutralize the acid found in bird poop; #2 - quick detailers act as a simple polymer sealant, so using a QD will essentially spread the acid around and then seal it up; #3 - Bird poop often contains dirt and bits of gravel (birds eat it to help with digestion), so using a car wash solution, which is a much better surfactant than detail spray, will reduce the chance of marring the finish when you clean it off.

I would recommend Adam's car wash mixed with water in a sprayer: The reason to stay away from quick detailers is that #1 - they do nothing to neutralize the acid found in bird poop; #2 - quick detailers act as a simple polymer sealant, so using a QD will essentially spread the acid around and then seal it up; #3 - Bird poop often contains dirt and bits of gravel (birds eat it to help with digestion), so using a car wash solution, which is a much better surfactant than detail spray, will reduce the chance of marring the finish when you clean it off.

Never thought of that. But it is a great way to take car of the problem great idea frank.

The detail spray will remove some of it, but you will most likely still see a rim or ring where it was. Use the Swirl and Haze Remover on a micro and give it a good rub. You may have to use it several times depending on how long the stuff was on there before you got to it, but it will come off. Then a little bit of buttery wax or some detail spray and you should be good to go. :cheers:

:iagree::iagree:

I've used SHR and MP to get mine off and they both work depending on the severity of the poop.

I thought it was the protein in the poop that caused the issues. Like bugs... Been wrong before though...

I have several coats of Americana on mine and still get the etching.

The Baron beat me to it as usual.

The biggest thing is to get it off the paint as quickly as possible. If it sits, bakes in the sun, or just is left alone its going to eat ever deeper into your clear.

Of course not all of us carry a spray of DS and CW+Water in our rides... in a pinch what I do is set the DS sprayer to 'stream' and use that to knock as much loose as I can before wiping. I then switch over to 'spray' and remove the remnants. As Frank mentioned you have to be wary of fine particulate, including seeds and gravel.

I got hit with one the other day, it was either dropped by a Condor or the sparrow that let it go died b/c I swear theres no way an average sized bird could've passed this much matter without dropping dead.

I got hit yesterday by a bird who must have been eating berries. Went from the windshield, over the roof and down the back glass. That bird was full of it. Fortunately it happened a block from my house and I got it off quick. Again, speed is the key. :2thumbs:

Frank, Dylan, et al,

What concentration of Car Wash would you recommend for spraying? 1 oz. per 2 gallons? more? less?

Thanks, Mike.

A capful per 2 gallons, so in a spray bottle, you'd only be looking at putting in 2 or 3 drops. The water should just barely look pink.