Customer Service 866.965.0400

Why Bicycles?

Adam

When I was 8 years old, bicycle detailing was my thing. I would disassemble a bike, gasoline-soak the bearings and chain, polish the metal with Brasso, polish and wax the paint, replace the brake and derailleur cables, etc.

Since I had a paper route after school, I knew where the old bikes were laying around, rusting. When it came time to collect the monthly tab for the Orange County Register, ($4.75,) I'd ask if they had plans for their old Schwinn on the side of the garage, etc.

Typically, they did not, and when I offered to buy the bike for a few dollars, most customers would just let me have them! The bikes were always in need of some work, had flat tires, rusty chrome, destroyed seats, etc.

I would take the bikes home, and take them apart to get them shined up! By age 10, I had taken over the tin tool shed in the yard, and with the help of my Dad, built a few shelves, and turned it into a mini bike-workshop. I'd create bicycles from remnants of several others, and sell them to friends for cheap.

I learned very early after sanding, priming, and repainting a few bikes: Paint is only original once, and having a nice old Schwinn with decent original paint was always better than a bike with perfect new paint, which never looked as good as the original. (I was using rattle-can Krylon paint, so it wasn't nearly the automotive-quality paint used in Chicago on the classic Schwinns of the 30's-80's.)

They stopped making Schwinns in Chicago in 1981. (Unfortunately, manufacturing went to 'The Orient' from there.)

It was bicycles that got me into detailing, and today, it's Schwinn Bicycles that is my hobby. Here are a few pictures of some of the bikes that I waste time cleaning and detailing these days. If you have an old Schwinn, and are interested in selling, or need parts, restoration tips, etc, post here or email me!

Here are a few choice photos of some Classic American Schwinns. Noteworthy for sure, the photo of my Aunt Patty, who is a coistered Nun, riding a 1967 Scwhinn Miss Teen in Carlisle this year! She was in heaven!

Another image while working at the bike shop for parts at age 11 in San Juan Capistrano, CA. (they would let me assemble bikes for parts, usually handlebar tape, brake cables, etc.

We all have a sickness, and besides detailing vehicles, collecting and detailing old Schwinn's keeps me out of the bars, and opens the opportunity to take many bicycle collecting trips. Sorry the photos are all different sizes, haven't figured that out yet!

-Adam:)

Edited by Adam

That picture of your aunt looks like it was taken right outside the Carlisle gate? I'll never forget how many bikes you had in the basement of your house in Carlisle. Unreal! There are a lot worse addictions you could have for sure. Those are really nice. :2thumbs:

It's funny how a hobby can lead to a career. That is basically what happened to me. When I was young I was interested in ham radio and wound up getting a job working in the electronics field.

People that have jobs doing what they love are happier and more productive. Follow your dreams! :cheers:

That picture of your aunt looks like it was taken right outside the Carlisle gate? I'll never forget how many bikes you had in the basement of your house in Carlisle. Unreal! There are a lot worse addictions you could have for sure. Those are really nice. :2thumbs:

:iagree:I've got problems, but at least they can be stored easily, and sold quickly without getting killed! This was right outside of Gate 3 Rich, you are right, and I'm still storing bikes there. :)

It's funny how a hobby can lead to a career. That is basically what happened to me. When I was young I was interested in ham radio and wound up getting a job working in the electronics field.

People that have jobs doing what they love are happier and more productive. Follow your dreams! :cheers:

I agree with you Jub, it's great to do for a living what you do for a loving! Sounds like you and I are amongst the lucky ones!

Funny, your story takes me right back to being an 11-year old kid living in northern California (Walnut Creek). Only for me it was Mongoose BMX bikes; trying to take them apart, make them better, replacing the coaster brakes with free-wheel axles and caliper brakes, etc. I must have spent 1000 after-shcool hours there in the side yard, next to the garage, tinkering with bikes and loving every minute.

Now it's a Vette in the garage and the free time is harder to come by, but when I've got the car up on jackstands and my hands covered with grease, I'm still that little kid loving the process of taking things apart and trying to make them just a little bit better.

Thanks for the post -- it's great to learn about that side of you. :cheers:

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
With three older brothers, I never had a new bike. But I didn't miss it either cause one of them always had a new car to sneak out in. :D

Let's find you a pair of classic Schwinn's at the Spring Carlisle Show Rich!:banana:

Funny, your story takes me right back to being an 11-year old kid living in northern California (Walnut Creek). Only for me it was Mongoose BMX bikes; trying to take them apart, make them better, replacing the coaster brakes with free-wheel axles and caliper brakes, etc. I must have spent 1000 after-shcool hours there in the side yard, next to the garage, tinkering with bikes and loving every minute.

I love it! I grew up riding BMX dirt as well and your post brought me back! I grew up in huntington beach where we had this 5 mile X 5 mile field and we would dig jumps all day, sometimes days, just to ride, for years we did this. While everybody else was surfing, we had our own little private world. I would on a monthly basis, swap out my free wheel that had been soaking in solvent for a month just because I liked the feel of it compared to a dirty crusty one. Of course that need for modifying only gets worse with age.....Thanks for your post!

I love it! I grew up riding BMX dirt as well and your post brought me back! I grew up in huntington beach where we had this 5 mile X 5 mile field and we would dig jumps all day, sometimes days, just to ride, for years we did this. While everybody else was surfing, we had our own little private world. I would on a monthly basis, swap out my free wheel that had been soaking in solvent for a month just because I liked the feel of it compared to a dirty crusty one. Of course that need for modifying only gets worse with age.....Thanks for your post!

Brother Draper! So, did you race in the ABA BMX circuit at all? What kind of bike did you ride? We had a track along the bike path in San Juan Capistrano, however, my table-top jumping skills were weak, at best. Couldn't muster up the huevos to jump 10+ feet in the air like the other nut-bags out there. ;)

Still, my bike was always cleaner!

Brother Draper! So, did you race in the ABA BMX circuit at all? What kind of bike did you ride? We had a track along the bike path in San Juan Capistrano, however, my table-top jumping skills were weak, at best. Couldn't muster up the huevos to jump 10+ feet in the air like the other nut-bags out there. ;)

Still, my bike was always cleaner!

Adam! I had a couple really aggressive friends into racing. I made it to the Yorba Linda track once when I was 13 or so and decided it wasnt really for me, it felt like a mosh pit but you were on wheels, always worrying if the guy next to you was going to take you out going around the burm, I guess I wasnt enough of a douchebag to really be good at it!

My style was more of hang out with your friends and build up some nice doubles or style jumps about head high at most from bottom to top, but nothing where you would kill yourself, highest up I jumped was probably 15 or so feet. It was scary, but after digging all day, youre sort of forced to jump or else your friends would either chase you down and beat you up or never let you forget you pussed out! Some guys down there were so, how can you say this, had no sense or had no imagination at all, by the time I left the scene, these guys were building just the biggest most amazing doubles ever where if you didnt time things properly, you probably would kill yourself! Yeah huntington back then, I dont know about now, had a lot of scrappy type of guys that would ride BMX all day until they physically couldnt pedal anylonger and would limp back home.

A few years ago, I visited that place and it was all fenced off getting ready to develop homes. It was located on the east side of PCH across from Bolsa Chica St beach. Sad its gone..but I have my memories.

Still have my bike though, all rusted and flat tires, will never get rid of her, I have bled too much on it to just throw her away. It was a S&M Challenger, the company named it after the shuttle that crashed. A humorous company in the naming of their bikes if you know about them. They specialize in dirt jumping for the most part.

Were there trails in your area?

Edited by DanDraper

I thought I was the only twisted one that had a bicycle and car detailing fetish! I am glad I found this place, now I know that I am not alone. I think I spend as much time detailing my bike as I do my car.

I have a 2008 Waterford SR-33 that is custom painted to match my car. I sent decals to Waterford and had them placed under the clear coat as well. 1220658195.jpg1220658040.jpg

Adam and colleagues,

What wonderful photos and anecdotes. I, too, was brought into auto detailing by way of bicycles. It's very inspirational to see what others have done with their youthful passions. Thank you for sharing.

Best,

Dave D.

I thought I was the only twisted one that had a bicycle and car detailing fetish! I am glad I found this place, now I know that I am not alone. I think I spend as much time detailing my bike as I do my car.

I have a 2008 Waterford SR-33 that is custom painted to match my car. I sent decals to Waterford and had them placed under the clear coat as well. 1220658040.jpg

I love it! Nice work Dave. Waterford is doing a great job maintaining the quality of the Chicago-land built bicycles. Great to see a bicycle maker that retains old world integrity. VERY cool that they applied your Vette logo as well.

:thumbsup:

:) I still have my Schwinn Sports Tourer that was purchased with paper route money in 1971. It's still like new.

Dave.

Right on Dave! Do you have any photos of your Schwinn??

Adam and colleagues,

What wonderful photos and anecdotes. I, too, was brought into auto detailing by way of bicycles. It's very inspirational to see what others have done with their youthful passions. Thank you for sharing.

Best,

Dave D.

Where did you grow up Dave, and what's your bicycle detailing history/ story?

Hello, friends!

I grew up in central California, near Visalia. I couldn't afford a really decent bike until college, when I was able to buy a yellow 10-speed Nishiki. I read everything I could lay my hands on and frequented the bike shops in and around Berkeley. I didn't have the required athleticism to compete in racing, but I took a fancy to touring. A friend and I toured the west coast from San Francisco to Vancouver, B.C., and returned to tell the tale.

I've used my bikes mostly as daily transportation, and, wanting them to look nice, read about 'detailing' (as opposed to 'washing') bicycles. It was quite a revelation to learn how a clay bar could improve a finish! When circumstanced required that I have a car, I was determined to keep it up.

It was a Dodge Intrepid, and one of the posters suggested I try Adam's Polishes VRT for the enormous dash. I watched the videos included with that purchase and have enjoyed a relationship with the company since then (about two years now).

Thanks for the quality products, instruction, and now, community of detailers.

Best,

Dave D. (Stutz)

Hello, friends!

I grew up in central California, near Visalia. I couldn't afford a really decent bike until college, when I was able to buy a yellow 10-speed Nishiki. I read everything I could lay my hands on and frequented the bike shops in and around Berkeley. I didn't have the required athleticism to compete in racing, but I took a fancy to touring. A friend and I toured the west coast from San Francisco to Vancouver, B.C., and returned to tell the tale.

I've used my bikes mostly as daily transportation, and, wanting them to look nice, read about 'detailing' (as opposed to 'washing') bicycles. It was quite a revelation to learn how a clay bar could improve a finish! When circumstanced required that I have a car, I was determined to keep it up.

It was a Dodge Intrepid, and one of the posters suggested I try Adam's Polishes VRT for the enormous dash. I watched the videos included with that purchase and have enjoyed a relationship with the company since then (about two years now).

Thanks for the quality products, instruction, and now, community of detailers.

Best, Dave D. (Stutz)

Very cool Dave, how long was your bicycle tour? I'd love to do that, and when our child (children??) get old enough, taking a family tour would be incredible.

Thanks for being here, and I'm always glad to have a bicycle sicko as a customer and friend!

-Adam:2thumbs: