Customer Service 866.965.0400

removing sealant to clay

nooner

Question

I have heard to use dish soap to revome wax, but what if your car has a sealant on it? Does anyone have any tips on how to revome polymer sealant? If I try to clay my car with this sealant on, is it even doing anything to the paint, or is it simply rubbing clay on a sealant?

The only thing I can think of is to use some polish of some type and polish away the sealant, but how aggresive do i need to get (since I can't see the sealant to know if it is removed or not I can't go with the least agressive and move up). Is Fine polish good enough with an orange pad, or do I need to use SHR and a yellow pad?

I didn't know about detailing because I stumbled on junkman's site after sealing my car. I hear a new car should need to be clayed, but right now mine passes the plastic bag test. But is that my paint passing the test, or just the layers of the sealant?

15 answers to this question

<table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" align="left" valign="center">Z-CS Clear Seal

</td></tr></tbody></table>true polymer synthetic protectant

Edited by bigred vette
Competitors link

The CS is just a polymer, so I don't see why the Dawn wouldn't cut right through it. I'm assuming you're going to clay it too after the wash to get rid of all those contaminates you sealed in under the CS. Shouldn't be a problem.

Sealant won't 'seal' contaminants on to the clear coat my friend. Using a clay bar to remove contaminants will, however, leave small 'holes' in the protective layer.

Also, it's usually a good plan to polish after using a clay bar, and polish will typically remove your sealant.

If it's time to clay, I'd suggest it's probably time to polish and wax and/or re-seal your finish.

My $0.02 :thumbsup:

Sealant won't 'seal' contaminants on to the clear coat my friend. Using a clay bar to remove contaminants will, however, leave small 'holes' in the protective layer.

Also, it's usually a good plan to polish after using a clay bar, and polish will typically remove your sealant.

If it's time to clay, I'd suggest it's probably time to polish and wax and/or re-seal your finish.

My $0.02 :thumbsup:

So you are saying if my car passes the plastic bag test, then it is good? If it needed claying, then I would be able to feel the contaminants "through" the sealant?

So you are saying if my car passes the plastic bag test, then it is good? If it needed claying, then I would be able to feel the contaminants "through" the sealant?

You got it Justin! You only need to clay a car when it's contaminated. Usually, after a few thousand miles, you will want to clay a car, or, if it sits outside days, nights, or both, clay every month.

Claying is only necessary when the finish is rough, and if you cannot detect surface contamination, skip it!

Some cars, like Corvettes, SUV's, and Mini Coopers (to name a few) get the rear of the vehicle contaminated quickly. Seems brake dust, exhaust soot, and road grime stick well to flat surfaces. The flatter the rear of the vehicle, the more frequently it will require a clay job.

Corvettes from 1984 - 2010 have the 'flattest' rear ends, and require a clay job every 500 - 1K miles.

-Adam:2thumbs:

Just my two cents here (and I have to believe this is has been mentioned elsewhere on the forum before) but, Procter & Gamble's website says that Dawn dish washing liquid is not recommended for car washing. While I even used it often many, many years ago (on a white Pontiac Trans Am with the big "chicken" on the hood :)) when working for P&G in Cincinnati, I'd take their formulation chemists at their word this time. The product is undoubtedly different now than it was when first created and certainly comes in more concentrated forms

Quoting their current website:

"Can I use Dawn to clean things other than dishes?

Dawn is so effective in cutting grease on dishes that over the years, consumers have used Dawn on other greasy messes around their homes, from cleaning kitchen messes like grease build up on the stove range hood to oily spots in the garage. Dawn is not recommended for window cleaning, car washing, body wash or washing hair."

http://www.dawn-dish.com/en_US/questionsaboutdawn.do#other_things

No Dawn for me anymore. I'll stick with a car wash or other product formulated specifically to remove wax/sealants from car surfaces (if not claying or correcting in some form prior to wax/sealant application).

Sorry if this is redundant. Just my opinion, I could be wrong............

See ya. :hi:

This thread looks like it will be leading up to a couple of new Adam's products! Will there be a pad cleaner and wax remover in the near future? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

When I had to strip the wax from my Taurus, I just did a quick pass of Revive polish by hand. I don't see the need for a dedicated wax remover. It says on the bottle already it removes wax

Speaking of Taig and his concoctions, maybe a RP/water mix as a spray-on wax remover?