Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to clean a Dirty Great White Drying Towel?

Goatman06

Question

Hello, i was just wondering how to properly clean a GW Towel, you know how sometimes you wipe to low and get a smear of dirt or some matter on a towel and it leaves a stain. well i just wash them in detergent with no fabric softner and i let them air dry. My question is that is there anything that you can use to try to safely remove the stain without affecting the performance of the towel? thanks alot Bob.

You might spray some APC on the dirty spots before washing!:xfingers:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I agree with Chris, and just keep doing what you've been doing. And I wash mine in HOT water. Be sure you're using liquid detergent too. :thumbsup:

:iagree: I spray them with a 50% APC solution and wash in hot water with a second soak cycle. This method even works to take the stains out of the waffle towel I use with WCW.

Hot water isn't really a good idea. The individual polyamide and nylon fibers that make up microfiber can melt (just like plastic) and close the cell structure that makes them soft/absorbent or cause fibers to bind together making the towels far less effective.

Stick to warm water and you'll get much more life out of your towels.

Hot water isn't really a good idea. The individual polyamide and nylon fibers that make up microfiber can melt (just like plastic) and close the cell structure that makes them soft/absorbent or cause fibers to bind together making the towels far less effective.

Stick to warm water and you'll get much more life out of your towels.

Can't say I agree with you Dylan. I want my towels as clean as possible. I'm not planning on keeping them for life. Hot water breaks down the chemicals and waxes in the fibers and that leaves them cleaner. And as many micros as I've used over the years, I've never found them to change in texture from washing in hot water. I'm sticking with hot and I'll buy new ones when I need them. JMO. :2thumbs:

Can't say I agree with you Dylan. I want my towels as clean as possible. I'm not planning on keeping them for life. Hot water breaks down the chemicals and waxes in the fibers and that leaves them cleaner. And as many micros as I've used over the years, I've never found them to change in texture from washing in hot water. I'm sticking with hot and I'll buy new ones when I need them. JMO. :2thumbs:

I go with warm and here is why...

the "hot" setting on most washers will pump water at a temperature of approximately 130* or higher (variables like distance from your hot water heater can come into play here as well), the warm setting will use water at 80-90*... more than enough to losen wax, polish, or other residues trapped in the fibers without potential damage.

I go with warm and here is why...

the "hot" setting on most washers will pump water at a temperature of approximately 130* or higher (variables like distance from your hot water heater can come into play here as well), the warm setting will use water at 80-90*... more than enough to losen wax, polish, or other residues trapped in the fibers without potential damage.

We'll just agree to disagree on this one Dylan. :2thumbs:

I've used HOT for a little over a year on mine every time with no seen issues. I am cheap and don't have my water heater cranked up like some.

I too use APC to spray them first. I've also used pre-treater with OK luck. The WCW are hard to get perfect but they come out pretty good.

Chris

Hello, i was just wondering how to properly clean a GW Towel, you know how sometimes you wipe to low and get a smear of dirt or some matter on a towel and it leaves a stain. well i just wash them in detergent with no fabric softner and i let them air dry. My question is that is there anything that you can use to try to safely remove the stain without affecting the performance of the towel? thanks alot Bob.

Edited by Corners

Still good info and appreciate the detailed response.

I agree, but I just hope he isn't expecting a response from Bob. Also, since it's no longer 2009, you can probably substitute the new MF Revitalizer for APC.

You do realize the date of this thread, and that based on his profile the Bob you're addressing hasn't logged into the forum in over a year, right?

Nope, didn't have a clue. But it's taken care of. Tks for the heads up.

I agree, but I just hope he isn't expecting a response from Bob. Also, since it's no longer 2009, you can probably substitute the new MF Revitalizer for APC.

The MF Reviatalizer won't hold a candle to the APC when it comes to thoroughly cleaning extremely dirty towels. Been there, tried it.

The MF Reviatalizer won't hold a candle to the APC when it comes to thoroughly cleaning extremely dirty towels. Been there, tried it.

Well I'll keep that in mind then, I just figured that since it was specifically designed for it, that the Revitalizer would be the thing to use now that it's available. And you didn't have to erase your whole post. As stated, it was good information. I guess I was just wondering how a three year old post made it to the top.