Customer Service 866.965.0400

White Lettering?

airhog

Question

Is an SOS pad just a kitchen scrubbing pad?

Yes and no. An SOS pad is steel wool with cleaning soap just like a Brillo pad. A kitchen scrubbing pad is sponge on one side, scrubbing material on the other, sometimes the kitchen pads are all scrubbing material. SOS pads are also made by Chlorox, which is why they work at cleaning, but remember, they're steel wool, so watch the rims. :cheers:

Yes and no. An SOS pad is steel wool with cleaning soap just like a Brillo pad. A kitchen scrubbing pad is sponge on one side, scrubbing material on the other, sometimes the kitchen pads are all scrubbing material. SOS pads are also made by Chlorox, which is why they work at cleaning, but remember, they're steel wool, so watch the rims. :cheers:

When I break out the SOS pad, it is used only on the white walls. However, they have to be extremely dirty in order to do that. The box I have was bought when I bought the Thunderbird in '01. I've used maybe three pads out of the box.

If you decide to go this route, use them on your letters and like Rich says, stay off the rims. A little VRT afterwards and you will have a big grin seeing how good they look.

This is why I buy black wall tires!:banana:

That's good because those blacks cars of your LOOK GREAT with black walls:2thumbs: I can't imagine them with white walls or raised white letters!!!!

On another completely different track I was watching Pinks on Friday for a bit. Someone with a GTO that looks like yours except it was silver had a Nitros backfire in the staging lane. It was bad enough where the hood flew 30 yards, the front of the car came completely off the car and the radio was blown out of the mounts. With all that damage all the owner said was this was Pinks. I bet after the cameras went away he was crying.

Westley's Bleach White gets my vote too. And if you have patio chairs that have that plastic strapping, Westley's will knock the black dirt right off of them. :cheers:

That stuff works great. When I was stationed in Alaska we had white rubber boots that we wore when the temps dropped below -20. Those things would get filthy after jumping in and staying in the field for about 10 days. Westleys would get those things really white again.

Rob

When I had white lettering (2+ years ago) on my tires I used a Mothers (I know not Adam's, shame on me) tire brush that was kind of curved to match the contour of the tire. Between that and Westly's white wall cleaner made those nice and white.

wheel.jpg

Rob

Use the SOS pad. Don't have to worry about chemicals eating away at expensive wheels.

I once spilled a little Westley's on the paint of my car many many years ago. Stained the paint, and it never came out. The stain was instant, didn't even get a chance to rinse it off.

Best thing EVER for white letters IMO.

Really just steel wool and some APC would probably do the trick.

Used to get my white walls clean on my '81 Olds Toronado... :thumbsup:

FYI: The white lettering is VERY thick so no issues with ruining it unless you're using a belt sander or something...

Chris

The alternative (and better aesthetic option IMO) is to turn your tires white side in and use a little black spray paint to hide them.

I personally think the white lettering is ugly and besides, why run around with a rolling advertisement for Goodyear on your car/truck?? Its not like they pay you for displaying the logo and its just another thing to worry about keeping clean.

Archived