Customer Service 866.965.0400

Russo and Steele Car Auction Damages

AZGTO

Question

22 answers to this question

Apparently from what I'm hearing on our local gto forum is that some of these owners of the cars did not have insurance on them or the coverage lapsed recently...

That is really rough. I guess if these cars had been stored in a garage and never driven they could have been covered by another insurance policy, but when they are taken out of the garage and being stored somewhere else they would not be covered.

Very similar to what happened at Carlisle a couple years ago. I know that Carlisle took care of everyone that had damage to their cars. During the Barrett Jackson show, they were talking with insurance reps about the damages, and they all said that they were there and ready to handle all claims.

Those pics just make me sick to my stomach. What a shame, but there is no protection against weather.

Man, those photos went on and on forever. Seeing the damaged Pantera pained me. And what the heck happened to THIS? Looks more like the work of and an angry wife than that of a fallen tent pole!!!

Basically the poles were still attached to the tent and as the wind whipped the tent around the poles were like a barrage of huge baseball bats being whipped around then when the whole thing came down the wind continued to lift and drop the top so it just pulverized the cars.

A lot of destroyed dreams and lifetimes of hard work were lost there... very sad.

We spent a good chunk of the day yesterday wandering the aisles at Russo and the damage to some of the cars is just unspeakable. Things like 1 or 65 Road Runners that had SEVERE damage on every panel, split window corvettes with the window smashed out and the interior flooded, original GT350 Mustangs that took a big pole to the hood... it was ugly.

From all reports it seems like there will be a lot of finger pointing until the matter is settled out, the auction won't want to take responsibility, the tent company is somewhat liable, insurance is going to dodge as much as they can (as insurance often does) under "act of god" type maneuvering.

I'd think its safe to assume that people with specialized collector car insurance (Hagerty, etc) will probably get full market value for their rare cars, but guys with one offs, one of a kinds, or super collectible restos won't be so lucky if they had standard insurance.

I'll get some of the pics up when I have a chance today.

Archived