Customer Service 866.965.0400

Car Covers -- Good or Bad?

wong600

Question

Hey Guys,

I regularly use a Mopar cover for my Dodge Charger, especially after detailing to keep it looking good longer (my garage is kind dusty).

It's a good quality car cover, but do you think all the covering and uncovering is scratching my paint? (micro-scratching at least)

Better not to use it? Just wash regularly?

19 answers to this question

So Junkman, I have to clarify: if you can't cover after driving or being out in the open for an hour, why cover at all?

I would never be able to cover my car because after I wash it, I wanna drive it!

I agree. I wouldn't cover at all in those situations. The main reason I have a cover is during the winter and if I wash the car at night because I'm going to be cruising the next day.

The reasons that I do the things I do concerning paint are not because of what I have learned, they are simply common sense. If you think it through, it all simply makes common sense. :thumbsup:

As long as your car is clean and no dust is sitting on the paint, you will have no issues with a quality car cover. So when is you car clean? Right after you have washed it. If your car has sat outside for an hour, it is no longer clean. If you drive it, it is no longer clean. This is the rule I follow and my cover creates ZERO scratches.

So Junkman, I have to clarify: if you can't cover after driving or being out in the open for an hour, why cover at all?

I would never be able to cover my car because after I wash it, I wanna drive it!

hey mark,

what make lift do you have?

How high are your ceilings?

I am going to buy one this spring.:2thumbs:

hi chris, the lift i have is sold by teclifts.com. My garage has ten foot ceilings but i think 9 foot would be fine. The sales person said to measure the height of the two cars and add eight inches for the minimum height required.

Here is a few more pics of the lift and car covers. Sorry can't really get great pic of cover. :)

Thanks David! My car stays in the garage so I have no need for an outdoor cover. My cover is made by Cover King. :thumbsup:

vette_cover.jpg

That's the bag for the cover hanging on the mirror.

I thought you had put tow mirrors on the vette :jester:

How much did that cover run you?

Hey Junkman! love your videos.. thanks for all your help.. I'm working on my car when I can, applying your methods :)

What is the brand of your "quality car cover?"

Thanks David! My car stays in the garage so I have no need for an outdoor cover. My cover is made by Cover King. :thumbsup:

vette_cover.jpg

That's the bag for the cover hanging on the mirror.

I HAVE THE "DUSTOP" COVER FROM CAL CAR COVER FOR MY VETTE. ITS SOFT, THICK, AND FITS VERY WELL. I THINK PEOPLE DAMAGE THEIR PAINT FROM IMPROPER REMOVAL AND STORAGE. JUST MY OPINION, HOPE IT HELPS. :)

I CAN POST A PIC OR 2 IF YOU WOULD LIKE :thumbsup:

Post up those pics Mark.:glasses:

I HAVE THE "DUSTOP" COVER FROM CAL CAR COVER FOR MY VETTE. ITS SOFT, THICK, AND FITS VERY WELL. I THINK PEOPLE DAMAGE THEIR PAINT FROM IMPROPER REMOVAL AND STORAGE. JUST MY OPINION, HOPE IT HELPS. :)

Yeah, a pic would be great!

I agree with the Junkman. That is the only time I cover my car. As soon as I am finished rinsing it, I pull it in the garage to dry it. Once I have complete it I cover it. If I take it out for any reason, I do not cover it when I get home, unless I clean it again.

As long as your car is clean and no dust is sitting on the paint, you will have no issues with a quality car cover. So when is you car clean? Right after you have washed it. If your car has sat outside for an hour, it is no longer clean. If you drive it, it is no longer clean. This is the rule I follow and my cover creates ZERO scratches.

:iagree::welcome: David! :thumbsup:

A little trick I use. I bought two king size flat fleece sheets and my wife sewed them together end to end. Cut a hole for the antenna. I put that over the car before I put the heavy cover on. And in the summer, it's my cover to keep the dust off.:thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum David!

:welcomebanner::welcomebanner::welcomebanner:

Archived