Customer Service 866.965.0400

Too Cold To Wax?

fkumro

Question

I have been wondering this for weeks now, is their a min and max temp for waxing? Currently I am preping the z06 for winter storage and I have been too busy to wax it on the nice days. The temps sit between 30-50 degrees and I was wondering if that is too cold to wax the car ? The temp could drop while I am waxing also, so the range is important.

-Frank

17 answers to this question

I have been wondering this for weeks now, is their a min and max temp for waxing? Currently I am preping the z06 for winter storage and I have been too busy to wax it on the nice days. The temps sit between 30-50 degrees and I was wondering if that is too cold to wax the car ? The temp could drop while I am waxing also, so the range is important.

-Frank

MAN - you must be one stud - willing to freeze yer keister off while waxing your car :) 30 degrees - holy crap :) :) :)

VERY good question though - will be watching this tread to see the answer (NOT that I would ever detail my car in the super cold) :)

MAN - you must be one stud - willing to freeze yer keister off while waxing your car :) 30 degrees - holy crap :) :) :)

VERY good question though - will be watching this tread to see the answer (NOT that I would ever detail my car in the super cold) :)

HAHA Thanks :lolsmack: I do have a couple screws loose to be waxing in those temps but my Z is my baby!!

Rich is right - you'll find it harder to get the wax to dry and haze over. Because our Buttery Wax is 50% carnauba which loves the sun's warmth (helps it cure) you'll find a longer wait time.

If possible can you wax in a garage?

As far as temps - I'll consult with our chemist to see what 30 will do!

I would be able to wax in a garage but its still going to be in the same temp range. Jack and Cokes or a good 6 pack always help to make cold days better :thumbsup: Thanks for looking into this for me!

Get a couple cheap floor heaters to warm up the garage a little? Might help, that is what my brother does in WA during the winter.

For whatever it's worth I find, at least in New England, that a little Jack Daniel's helps with the cool weather detailing. :cheers:

A good cigar helps too!

:iagree:

I've waxed in sub-30 degree temps with the Buttery Wax, no problem, for the record.:thumbsup:

Now you gone did and done it. :drool: I'll have to hit the smoke shop on the way home from work tomorrow. I've not tried that Punch you so kindly displayed. Hopefully the weekend weather will be nice. A nice stogie and a couple of Newcastle Brown Ales will heal me up from whatever work throws at me this week.....I hope. :thumbsup:

Now you gone did and done it. :drool: I'll have to hit the smoke shop on the way home from work tomorrow. I've not tried that Punch you so kindly displayed. Hopefully the weekend weather will be nice. A nice stogie and a couple of Newcastle Brown Ales will heal me up from whatever work throws at me this week.....I hope. :thumbsup:

Don't bother hitting the smoke shop, I'll bring you a few Wednesday :thumbsup:

The Punch Rare Corojos are my favorite ;) Second are the Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Signatures or Short Story. The Rare Corojos are outstanding, they are said to be medium to full bodied, and have the flavor of it, but they are not overpowering at all, VERY smooth and pleasant! With that Newcastle you are talking about, it is a match made in heaven (right next to an ice cold glass of Guiness!)

Heating a garage when you pull a 30 degree car into it can cause issues with condensation. It's not a good idea to do that. I waxed my car the other day in 38º weather with no issues using Buttery wax. Washing it on the other hand was fun! lol That's what he arm pit length felt lined gloves are for! :thumbsup:

I'm ordering a 12 x 22 enclosure for the back yard. I'm thinking if I further insulate and have two bullet heaters, I'm sure I can have it up to a decent temp within minutes. The car should heat up pretty fast. Maybe a half hour? I should be able to detail right through winter...