Customer Service 866.965.0400

Challenger SRT sells for $29K on eBay

JoeSyko

Hah, wife caught me reading the Challenger forum, her reaction was pretty funny. (Nothing against Dodges, I think she was just concerned there might be another car coming home)

Anyhow, interesting story, keep us posted, hope he gets the car.

Bruce

Seems this happens a couple times a year where a dealership half *** gets into ebay selling without knowing what they're doing and tries to wiggle loose.

Lets be honest here... if the guy had bought for what they wanted and changed his mind would they have let him walk? Nope.

if the guy had accidentally hit the '0' key one too many times and bid 290,000 for it would they try and hold him to it? Probably.

Its a legally binding contract to some extent. If he wants to hire a lawyer and pursue it he can. The problem is after legal fees and all the effort hes probably gonna have to put forth it'll make up the difference in MSRP that he saved.

According to the Ebay listing ,on March 11,2010 the dealer made a revision concerning a reserve price, while the auction did not end until the 12th. It would be interesting to know what that revision was and if in fact a reserve was placed. Just wondering

Guest Luke Warmwater

Bidder tried to take advantage of an obvious mistake. This is what's wrong with America today. Let it go.

Guest Luke Warmwater

You go to McDonalds and order a $5 meal. You hand the clerk a $10 and she mistakenly hands you back $15, change for a $20. If you're honest you hand it back and explain the mistake. If you're a bottom feeder then you put it in your pocket and her mistake is your win. Sorry, it was clearly a mistake and the bidder knows it. That's the country we live in these days apparently.

Ok so we should all pay 10k dealer mark up because that's right?

I don't care if they screwed up or not the car sold and the bidder in in the right. They wouldn't hesitate to screw anybody out of 5-10,000 so I feel no sympathy for them.

Infact there is a 2006 300srt at my dealer with 39,000 miles and let's be honest it's worth maby 21-22,000 right. They want 29,000 + tax and Id bet my life savings they would take it and the buyer gets screwed.

Did you pocket the mistaken change?

Nope, I have even gone back in if I do not look at my change until I get out to the car, or I am in the drive through and have already left. Lets face it we all make mistakes. In this challenger case I hope they can come to a mutual agreement. A great deal for the buyer and the dealer not completely losing their behinds. From a marketing perspective though if I was the dealer I would give the guy the car at a lose because this story has pretty much gone viral and is all over the internet. Most people are going to side with the car buyer, the "little guy", who is seen as being pooped on by a car dealer, the "big guy". I would not want this bad publicity. The dealer and the buyer were supposed to have a meeting today. I have not seen any update to it yet though.

Archived