Customer Service 866.965.0400

Battery when cleaning engine bay

Laguna

Question

Do you disconnect it or just cover the parts or just leave it and don't shoot it directly with the hose?

Going to have to move my car about 25 ft. once I'm done washing it all, so a startup will be necessary most likely before it dries.

22 answers to this question

I'd still consider GM if they would have a recall on the LIM gaskets in the 3.4 motors. A decent looking vehicle like the G8 and they kill Pontiac and keep Buick.:rolleyes::explode:

BUICK has some pretty cool cars on the horizon though. I think that's why Pontiac went bye-bye. All they had was the me too cars with the exception of the G8 which was a one and only.

Chris

I learned a trick many years ago from my grandfather to prevent battery corrosion. If it's a normal daily driver, just place 1 or 2 pennies on the top of the battery near the center. After that, no more corrosion at all. I've done this for every car/truck I've owned and have never had the pennies fall off. Now, for my 4x4 off road truck, I just use a little silicon to hold them in place. This trick works great and is a real conversation piece when people ask my why the pennies are there.

1 spray bottle with leftover soap water from foam gun - 1 spray bottle rinse water plus mics rags & brushes, do it from day 1 - weekly thereafter and you'll never have a problem. Adams sponges cut to desired shapes to applt vrt ( lightly)

I usually cover all the ignition wires too, had problems previously with other cars where the positive battery line gets erosion and corrosion, just grease it up to prevent that.

battery_corrosion.jpg

:eek: I don't know how many I saw like that when I was at the body shop some years ago. Some people thought I was dumb using my own money, but I went next door to AZ and bought a can of batt. cleaner. I'm surprised that would even crank.:willy:

I usually cover all the ignition wires too, had problems previously with other cars where the positive battery line gets erosion and corrosion, just grease it up to prevent that.

battery_corrosion.jpg

Not much to add here, as others have said, no problem getting your battery wet.

I have both: 2005 Volvo XC70 and 2007 Dodge Magnum there Batteries are in the rear, Love it! Really thinking of putting the GTO's in the trunk now too, especially since removing the Stock Airbox for the Vararam CAI, would make it look more symmetrical in there.

The g8's have them in the trunk. I love it.

Not much to add here, as others have said, no problem getting your battery wet.

I have both: 2005 Volvo XC70 and 2007 Dodge Magnum there Batteries are in the rear, Love it! Really thinking of putting the GTO's in the trunk now too, especially since removing the Stock Airbox for the Vararam CAI, would make it look more symmetrical in there.

:iagree:

Here's what my wife's 7 year old van looked like after a wash, blow dry and spray vrt. Use compressed air to clean around the bolts and small cracks. Had never been cleaned before I got my products!

IMG_1844.jpg

:2thumbs:

Use a leaf blower on it when you get done and what ever left over water you have then wipe it down

:iagree:

Here's what my wife's 7 year old van looked like after a wash, blow dry and spray vrt. Use compressed air to clean around the bolts and small cracks. Had never been cleaned before I got my products!

IMG_1844.jpg

You guys should like this write-up. Just finished washing the car. Forgot to do the engine bay first, but that's ok. Going to do it now. Not concerned about drying the car since I'm going right to clay.

Just got back from the dealership and having my CAI installed. The techs wanted to know what I used to keep the engine bay so clean....:D

Only 2800 km on the car so far, but it was amazing to open the hood on Saturday to see how dirty it had gotten so fast.

You do not need to cover it or disconnect it. Just be careful that you don't soak your alternator or any ignition related parts and you will be ok.

Clean it up!

:iagree: And after it is clean keep it wiped down with DS so it will stay clean.:2thumbs:

Archived