Customer Service 866.965.0400

Good thing Toyota didn't take this approach...

3BVert

GM recalls 1.5 million cars, trucks with heated wiper fluid

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/06/gm-recalls-15-million-cars-suvs-pickups----fire-hazard-with-heated-wiper-fluid/1

Remedy: Dealers will permanently disable and remove the heated washer fluid module. An updated page for the owner manual will be provided and inserted in the owner manual to document that the feature has been permanently disabled and removed from the vehicle.

Here's a nice feature for your vehicle... Umm... Strike that!

Hey, at least you're getting $100 bucks back! :lolsmack:

I actually skipped right over that part of the article. My Tahoe would have been affected but we didn't get the heated washer fluid option. When I read it I jumped down to the Remedy section. At least they are compensating. I just found it funny that they are saying "Screw it. We can't fix it. Just take it out and update their owner's manual" (and give them $100).

What I'd like to see is a recall for all the W bodies (our Impala, GP's, etc) to get a new lower intake manifold gasket replaced. It leaks a quart every other week, and I can't afford to have it fixed. That's one reason I'm getting a Ford someday. Done with GM. :mad:

HEATED washer fluid? Uhhhhh....why? Here's my reason for the question: When you blast your heated fluid on the windshield (presumably to melt ice)...don't the wipers also activate? But if there is ice, won't they also be frozen to the winshield, therefore making it difficult to move them, possibly messing up the blade or the movement motor?

Or am I missing something?

HEATED washer fluid? Uhhhhh....why? Here's my reason for the question: When you blast your heated fluid on the windshield (presumably to melt ice)...don't the wipers also activate? But if there is ice, won't they also be frozen to the windshield, therefore making it difficult to move them, possibly messing up the blade or the movement motor?

Or am I missing something?

You are right in all of your assumptions. I wonder why GM felt the need to heat the washer fluid. Those of us up here in the north know to use winter washer fluid in cold weather and the bug juice in summer. The summer stuff has no alcohol and freezes at 32 degrees, says so in inch high letters right on the label. The winter blend has alcohol and is good to -30 degrees fahrenheit, therefore negating the need for a heater. Plus if you live up north you know better than to hop in the car and turn on the wipers if you're in icy conditions. After all that's what the ice scraper is for. And you're right, you'll tear up a wiper blade or two if the motor is strong enough.

Archived