Customer Service 866.965.0400

Route 66

Sooners

Just got back yesterday from a week long road trip. One of the highlights was taking old Route 66 from Oklahoma City to Amarillo, TX. We stopped at a couple museums and to eat, but it's about a 3 hour drive taking the interstate. Taking Route 66, it took us over 9 hours to get there.

Play this while scrolling down...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx1cTI0tUtI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx1cTI0tUtI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The first couple of pics are driving down the original Route 66. Notice how narrow the road is and there are no dividing stripes. This is the scenery for most of the road. Funny thing is that you can see I-40 pretty much the whole way. At some points, it's maybe a quarter of a mile away, and at others it's within spitting distance.

Third pic is of Lucille's gas station. Those aren't the pumps that were used when it was last open, but she ran the station for over 50 years until she died (I think it was around 2003). She was known as the Mother of the Mother Road.

The last two pics speak for themselves. The GTO was there to greet you as soon as you walked into the museum. I know many on here will appreciate that car.

The first four pics are from the museum. The first one is of an old oil dispenser that pumps out a quart with one turn.

The last one was really cool. This was up in the Texas panhandle in a small town. It was the first Phillips 66 gas station in Texas and was built in the 1920s.

Very cool. I never realized how basic and narrow it is!

Yeah, I was surprised as well. Of course, we only drove part of it in OK and TX, but it was the same the whole way. We watched a video in the museum, and it said that around 85% of the original road is still available to drive on from Chicago to LA. Based on the video, it sounds like the road is pretty much the same all the way. It said one of the characteristics of the road is how the edges are slightly raised and curb like. I have many more pictures of the road, but they're all pretty much the same. Only time the scenery changed is when the road ran through the various towns.

Driving on the original road is pretty cool. Several years ago the Thunderbird club of OK all met in Joplin, MO and drove route 66 to OKC. We stopped in Tulsa as that is home. I prefer to take the slow road from Tulsa to OKC over the turnpike!!

Hey Joey, Hope you don't mind but his thread needed music... I added some in your post.

Chris

No problem. Here's a few more pics of the road. On the second, you can see I-40 off to the left. The last one is a strange looking house we passed by.

Archived