Customer Service 866.965.0400

What weight are the super plush towels.

Crooz1n

Question

I have a couple but the cost is prohibitive. I am trying to find out the weight as in 550 g/m2 or whatever the actual weight is. This figure seems to be a standard for determining the "plushness " of a towel. This way I can compare apples to apples if I decide to buy a different brand to try.

Don't get me wrong I love Adam's products and use a bunch of them. I've even been accused of being like a drug dealer. Giving other Vette owners a "taste" for free, usually DS ,VRT or window cleaner while at a show or event, then telling them where they can get their next fix.

But I have to be aware of where I spend my money too. Hence the desire to see if I can find a comparable towel at a more reasonable price.

I don't want to be difficult about it but if the numbers are important then I think they should be on the product description. In another post Dylan says the 2 important factors when looking at towels are the ratio i.e 70/30 75/25 80/20 and the weight in g/m2.

From Dylan's post in another thread:

"The ratios tagged on each towel refer to the amount of polyester vs the amount of polyamide... since polyester is cheaper the Chinese made junk towels tend to have a ratio of 80/20 or worse. What does this mean to you?? Higher polyester content means less plush, which means more likely to scratch and swirl up your paint. "

"Now there's fiber count or weight... your typical cheap towel will have a weight somewhere in the range of 200g/m2 (give or take) where as a quality towel like Adams is in the neighborhood of 600g/m2 or higher... at around 350g/m2 you're safe to use it on your paint, but any lower than that you run the risk of inducing swirls. The higher the weight or density of the fibers the better it is at trapping and removing potential swirl inducing contaminants thus making it safer for dusting etc. "

I think the confusion may be coming in from the type of weight we're discussing... there are 2 "weights" that can be implied here - the physical "what does it show on the scale" weight and the weight as defined by the number of fibers in a given area. Rather than pounding out a LENGTHY technical post I'll simplify for you - our towels are constructed of the highest quality/softest material currently available (or that we're aware of) and constructed in a manner that we feel maximizes that materials effectiveness as well as the end-user experience. Much in the same way we always want our chemicals to smell pleasant, we want our towels to be pleasurable to use - afterall if you're going to spend hours in the garage with something it should offer more than just function... it should be enjoyable to use as well. I think our towels do that.

The DVD test that was outlined in the thread you pulled those quotes from is an excellent gauge of the materials - should you feel the need to explore other towel options that test should be able to easily define for you what is safe for your paint and what is not, but keep in mind material is only part of the equation... how its assembled plays a big role in the experience. I love our towels by simple virtue of the fact they are SO over the top... a doubled up MF towel!! Its just so luxurious and nice to use I can't envision using anything else - and after buying many competing towels to test against I can honestly say ours is one hell of a stand-out piece among the many choices out there.

I had asked one microfiber supplier once why their towels switched from 70/30 to 80/20. They said the base cloth was still 70/30 and made in Korea but then sent to China for finishing (cutting, edging) and had to be labeled 80/20 when finished.

Yea, edging plays a roll in the defined ratio. Our towels are completely made in Korea, none of that "well the material came from Korea, but then we paid a 5 year old in China $0.13 a day to stitch them together" stuff for us thanks!

i wish there was a little cheaper alternitive to use on door jams and inside and stuff. I LOVE my double plush for my paint. nothing else touches the outside of my car anymore!

Waterless towels!! I use them for all my 'utilitarian' tasks like door jambs, interior wipe down, etc. I saturate my door jambs with WW to get all the grit wetted and then use a couple of waterless towels to wipe them clean. My double plush are exclusively reserved for use on the painted panels and delicate interior parts like radio displays and gauges.

If the Waterless Wash towels are soft enough to rub on my paint with Waterless Wash, why aren't they soft enough to rub on my paint with the Detail Spray?

Has nothing to do with softness.

With waterless wash you are ONLY cleaning... you want an absorbent towel to pick up and pull away the dust and grit as well as remove the cleaner once its done its job.

With Detail Spray you have a different additive with the gloss enhancers that you want to spread out and allow to work on the finish. By using an absorbent waterless towel with DS you don't give it a chance to do that. The plush towel spreads the DS out, allows you to buff it to a shine.

Plush towels are better for the removal of dried on or cured products like polishes and waxes.

If the Waterless Wash towels are soft enough to rub on my paint with Waterless Wash, why aren't they soft enough to rub on my paint with the Detail Spray?

They are. Any type of runny liquid can be used on the Waterless Wash towels. That's my preference as the super plush towels tend to drink up and push around runny liquids. That's why I only use the plush towels for waxes and polishes.

Thanks Dylan and Junkman for setting me straight. This is what a like about the Adam's forum, I can ask a question on here and not get a smarta$$ answer. The answer I do get will have information to back it up. I hate when people tell me don't do that or don't use that and not give a reason why. At least on here people have "been there, done that" and know what will happen. Thanks for all your help and don't mind my all questions in the future. I got learn how to use my Adam's product the right way.

Happy to help... between myself, AJ, Adam, and the countless other pros and hobbyist detailers here there is a lot of expertise and personal experience to draw from.

Thanks Dylan and Junkman for setting me straight. This is what a like about the Adam's forum, I can ask a question on here and not get a smarta$$ answer. The answer I do get will have information to back it up. I hate when people tell me don't do that or don't use that and not give a reason why. At least on here people have "been there, done that" and know what will happen. Thanks for all your help and don't mind my all questions in the future. I got learn how to use my Adam's product the right way.

... I know Junkman would never use a towel with a tag sewn on.

... and it took me using the towels that you are probably using in order to figure that out.

Here's what you have to understand. I only speak from experience. I don't recommend a product because it has the Adam's label on it, I recommend a product because I have used it and I can prove that it works. If Adam released a product that I thought sucked, trust me, Adam would be the first to know it. Ask him, I do not bite my tongue. As for those towels you are using, you have nothing to compare them too. If you had a Adam's towel to feel side by side with the ones you have, the difference will be so obvious. At that point, your understanding will come full circle.

One thing to note. If a competitor's product is better for the situation that you are staring at, or there is a product that Adam's doesn't carry, I will gladly recommend it. Adam's products will easily address 95% of the stuff I see but it isn't what I would recommend for a dealership body shop to use when taking dents out of quarter-panels and repainting them. I use the product that addresses the issue that I am staring at. That's why I tell people that it is not a question of what product is better, it is a question of which product is best for you and your situation.

If you realized how brutal those towels are to your paint, you would start using them for shop towels. That's what they are for me. Once you get your Adam's towels, I bet that they will become the same for you. ;)

Chris, I wasn't saying to buy that brand over Adam's. It's just what I'm using until I order a bunch of Adam's towels. I know that this is an ADAM'S Forum, not a XYZ brand Forum. From what I seen in the videos the Adam's towel are way better than anything out there. Like they say, you might pay a little bit more, but it's worth it.

Thats cool! You will love our Adam's MF towels!!:thumbsup:

Chris, I wasn't saying to buy that brand over Adam's. It's just what I'm using until I order a bunch of Adam's towels. I know that this is an ADAM'S Forum, not a XYZ brand Forum. From what I seen in the videos the Adam's towel are way better than anything out there. Like they say, you might pay a little bit more, but it's worth it.

I did find some plush M/F towels, they're probably not as plush as Adam's through (I don't have any Adam's towels to compare) The towels I found are 80/20 and made in China for a wax company that has been around for a long time. They have a tag that is sewn on to them. Which brings me to a question for you guys. If I can pull the tag completely off, would that towel be OK to use? I know Junkman would never use a towel with a tag sewn on.

Do what you will, but I offer you this info:

Tags: Sewn in tags are a NO NO! The tag itself as well as the thread used to sew it into the seem are both potential ares for scratches and swirls to appear. Simply ripping the tag off doesn't alleviate the problem in most cases as the seem will still have hard nylon thread there. Just say no to sewn in tags.

Hot wire cuts: Towels produced in bulk are typically hot wire cut by the thousands leading to hard scratchy edges. The materials that compose a microfiber are man-made and melt at high heat, so by utilizing hot wire cutting these edges are melted into solid hard plastic like pieces. The melting and heat can impact the towels as far as a 1/4" or more into the face of the towel leaving you with very scratchy fibers.

I did find some plush M/F towels, they're probably not as plush as Adam's through (I don't have any Adam's towels to compare) The towels I found are 80/20 and made in China for a wax company that has been around for a long time. They have a tag that is sewn on to them. Which brings me to a question for you guys. If I can pull the tag completely off, would that towel be OK to use? I know Junkman would never use a towel with a tag sewn on.

I had asked one microfiber supplier once why their towels switched from 70/30 to 80/20. They said the base cloth was still 70/30 and made in Korea but then sent to China for finishing (cutting, edging) and had to be labeled 80/20 when finished.

I don't want to be difficult about it but if the numbers are important then I think they should be on the product description. In another post Dylan says the 2 important factors when looking at towels are the ratio i.e 70/30 75/25 80/20 and the weight in g/m2.

From Dylan's post in another thread:

"The ratios tagged on each towel refer to the amount of polyester vs the amount of polyamide... since polyester is cheaper the Chinese made junk towels tend to have a ratio of 80/20 or worse. What does this mean to you?? Higher polyester content means less plush, which means more likely to scratch and swirl up your paint. "

"Now there's fiber count or weight... your typical cheap towel will have a weight somewhere in the range of 200g/m2 (give or take) where as a quality towel like Adams is in the neighborhood of 600g/m2 or higher... at around 350g/m2 you're safe to use it on your paint, but any lower than that you run the risk of inducing swirls. The higher the weight or density of the fibers the better it is at trapping and removing potential swirl inducing contaminants thus making it safer for dusting etc. "

I can't answer your weight question but I have to say that these are the softest, nicest MF towel that I have ever used. You will have to look long and hard to find a nicer towel!:thumbsup:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#f3f4f5><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="59%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="46%"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=redheading1 align=middle colSpan=2>NEW Adam's Double Soft Premium Microfiber Towel</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" align=middle colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" align=middle colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=2><FORM id=AddToCartForm_494_537 style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px" name=AddToCartForm_494_537 onsubmit="return validateForm(this) && AddToCartForm_494_537_Validator(this)" action=addtocart.aspx?returnurl=showcategory.aspx%3fCategoryID%3d5%26SEName%3dmicrofiber-products method=post></FORM>

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Ready for a revolution in Microfiber technology? This ultra-premium towel is lint-free, and is constructed of TWO of the finest microfiber towels made. Our nicest towel ever!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD background=/images/box_06.gif></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Heavy! Our towels weigh 190 grams each. (Realize, we are looking for the highest quality microfiber, and not the heaviest. Our towels are made of the most premium microfiber currently available.)

I just did some math, and tell me if this is correct: 40x40 cm = 1600cm2.

1 Meter = 10,000cm2. There are 6.25 of our towels in a square meter.

Does that mean our towels are 1,187 grams/ meter? (I'm not a math genius, so please correct me if I'm wrong!)

:2thumbs:

(Incidentally, I can't embed videos on my wife's Mac, but have no problems on the PC. I embedded yours Ryan!)

I had a doc with the exact weight and can't find it... I'll post once I find it again... basically its the most dense towel that can be feasibly manufactured for us. You'll be hard pressed to find a heavier weight towel, and certainly not one thats 2 undyed towels back to back.

that is what i love about my white microfibers! they are so plush! just like my TP!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN9gVBsKCCU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN9gVBsKCCU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

i can't get the durn video to embed!

I have a couple but the cost is prohibitive. I am trying to find out the weight as in 550 g/m2 or whatever the actual weight is. This figure seems to be a standard for determining the "plushness " of a towel. This way I can compare apples to apples if I decide to buy a different brand to try.

Don't get me wrong I love Adam's products and use a bunch of them. I've even been accused of being like a drug dealer. Giving other Vette owners a "taste" for free, usually DS ,VRT or window cleaner while at a show or event, then telling them where they can get their next fix.

But I have to be aware of where I spend my money too. Hence the desire to see if I can find a comparable towel at a more reasonable price.

Don't know the weight, but I can tell you they are the best towels I've used. I purchased towels from everywhere. I love to test things out and these are by far the best. Super plush and they remove every type of product with great ease.

Archived