Customer Service 866.965.0400

do i need a machine polisher?

gregory

Question

its summer time in south fl. but in a few months It'll be fall and will be cooler down here and I need to get my black super duty truck's paint looking good. was looking at some machine polishers are these a needed thing is there a benfit to having them? over hand polishing or just speed and a better finish..

was looking at the flex is that a decent one? thanks

25 answers to this question

Machine polishing will *USUALLY* give you better results(need to make sure you have the proper technique), less stress on muscles and joints, and is usually a little faster to do.  They are not a necessity, but if you want your paint to look the best it can be then I would suggest getting one.  From everything I read on here the flex is a great machine, I can not vouch for it though as I have only used a PC.  Good luck if you decide to go with a machine and remember to post pics when you are done!  :thumbsup:

I think everyone needs one...or two...or three!  LOL  Yes, in my opinion, it is a must have especially with the size of your vehicle.  It will be much faster/easier and I feel give you better results than hand polishing. 

All of your choices that are available are 'decent/good' nowadays.  The Flex is a nice unit, however it is of the 'forced rotation' variety and many may feel that it may be better suited to someone with more experience 'behind the wheel' of a polisher.  I would feel better swaying you in the direction of a true DA machine.

Hope this helps!

Let's start with saying there is nothing wrong with hand polishing but you're never going to get the correction power and finish you will by machine. The speed is an added bonus.

Next the flex 3401 I assume is what you're talking about and 80% of the time that is my go to tool. The forced rotation along with the oscillation is great along with its correcting abilities. The cyclo as sold by Adams I have little first hand experience with but have heard great things about it. The porter cable is also a commonly used entry level polisher. The combo for me though is the flex 3401 with microfiber and foam pads along with Adams 2 step will correct quite a bit. I follow polishing with revive by hand. Then liquid paint sealant, brilliant glaze and Americana.

Once you go machine, it is hard to go back.  The tremendous amount of time saved, along with the decreased stress on muscles/joints in having to work on larger and multiple vehicles makes it a no brainer.

I've never let my vehicles go to the point where I need major correcting, and I'm very careful in washing/drying techniques in helping to reduce introduction of damage.  I have a PC, and as a "maintenance" polisher and sealant applicator, it fills my needs.

If you are looking for perfect paint, only a machine will do that. Unless your hands can move at 9800 rpm, get a machine. I said in the past that I would never put a machine to my car, now that I have 3 machines, I could not get the results I do with a machine. I also do detail work on the side so it's a must, but to spend $129.00 on a PC plus pads,product, around $200.00, you will never look back !!!!

The GG6 is a great machine, plenty of power.

I also recommend either the 3" GG machine or a PC7424XP equipped with a 3.5" backing plate so it can do dedicated tight area duty with 4" pads.  I have the latter (PC with 4" plate and GG6 with 5" and 6" pads), and no complaints and can tackle all that I need with relative ease.

thanks guys.. now its time to start looking and comparing.. I am the type who likes to have things to make my life easier and do a better job so its not big deal for me to spend the money. hell I spent 7k on a stainless steel ride on spreader and sprayer to take care of my 42k sq foot yard. spreads fertilizer and sprays for bugs.. man that was a great investment..

so spending a few dollars on a machine is no big deal for me.. and yes I want the paint to pop whats the point in having a black truck if you can't show it off..

I have 2 PC7424XPs, one for 4 inch pads, one for 7 inch pads, but my favorite, the Flex machine I bought a couple of months ago!! Its about a third faster in time and cuts better than a PC 7424xp. Its a pain to switch pads all the time thats why I have dedicated machines to do different jobs. Although you can get 4 inch backing pads for the Flex, I find when using 4 inch pads your are usually working in tighter areas and you dont need the power as much, so the PC is fine. The PC does a great job dont get me wrong so maybe start with a PC and get used to using a machine, then step up to the Flex. The Flex takes a little more time to get used to so use what your comfortable with. I have no expierence using a Cyclo machine but I hear they are a nice machine as well.Wait till your neighbors see the results with a machine, and they will be asking you to detail their car !!!! Kinda pays for itself  :pc7424: !!!!

Where can I buy a 4" back plate for the 6" GG that will work?  I really don't want to invest in their 3" maching until I get comfortable using the one I am getting today.

The Adam's 4" Focus pads work great for this, but I see they are not showing the D/A adapter for those pads.  Phil at Deailers Domain is an Adam's dealer and has 3" backing plate that works perfect with the Adam's pads. 

Where can I buy a 4" back plate for the 6" GG that will work?  I really don't want to invest in their 3" maching until I get comfortable using the one I am getting today.

I bought the 3.5" Lake Country backing plate for the 4" Adams pads since I like the backing plate to get close to the edge of the pad, the Adam's plate for the 4" pads is approx 2 7/8" so it leaves a little more space than I would like.  Phil @ Detailers Domain sells the Uber 3" backing plate as well which is also 2 7/8".

For what its worth, you could totally go to Harbor Freight and drop $50 on their 6" random orbital (its a clone of the PC7424XP) and just throw a smaller backing plate on that for dedicated tight correction jobs, and still be saving $35 on the GG3.

The Adam's 4" Focus pads work great for this, but I see they are not showing the D/A adapter for those pads.  Phil at Deailers Domain is an Adam's dealer and has 3" backing plate that works perfect with the Adam's pads.

Thanks Mike. I contacted Phil at Dealers Domain and ordered the Uber back plate for the Adam's 4" foam pads that will be compatible with my Griots 6" polisher.

Plugged in and used my new GG 6" orbital yesterday for the first time! After claying I inspected my '10 Lexus ES350 and decided to go ahead and use some left over AIO polish I had using the white pad. After buffing, I then used another clean white pad with Adam's Finishing Polish. Using a machine definitely speeds up the process. Loved it. Once I complete my detail I'll post some pics.

Edited by gapwedge