Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing Forged Wheels Continues...

BRZN

Question

Another six hours was spent this week on these used CCW SP550's I got professionally polished earlier in the fall. They're still not perfect, and I'm beginning to wonder if perfection on forged raw aluminum wheels is even possible. They do look better, and every time I lay my hands on them I learn something new.

Monday, late afternoon I began on the left front wheel.

IMG_6831resize_zps35fb68cf.jpg

I've learned it's much easier to polish these being off the ground, or off the car. So out comes the floor jack.

IMG_6832resize_zpse85fc450.jpg

And up she goes.

Safety first!

IMG_6833resize_zpsc75b6542.jpg

Off with the wheel

IMG_6834resize_zps0fa230c3.jpg

Fronts are 19x8.5" with a 2" lip

There's some hazing in the barrels I've not addressed yet. I plan to try a Nano Coating on the barrels later this winter and want to get them as close to perfect as I can before I seal them over.

IMG_6836resize_zps857640cf.jpg

IMG_6837resize_zpsf9a0f5fc.jpg

Tools to start with

IMG_6835resize_zps6207ae32.jpg

Metal Polish #1 and #2 using the 4" blue foam metal pad on my cordless drill where I could, and the 4" blue foam metal pad on a hand adapter in tighter spots. I'd wipe off the heavy residue with an edgeless utility towel and buff with an all purpose towel.

Two passes with Metal Polish #1

IMG_6838resize_zpsd5d4d908.jpg

IMG_6839resize_zps1ad7c4c7.jpg

IMG_6841resize_zps050e0ab4.jpg

Not too shabby! I decided to switch to a 4" red foam glaze pad to work the Metal Polish #2. The blue pad was leaving its own marks due to its aggressiveness. The red wasn't leaving the same.

Now, since the wheels were going to be off, I decided to work the faces and lips some more.

IMG_6843resize_zpsdc26d00d.jpg

The lip is much easier to polish with the wheel on the car and the tire off the ground so the wheel can be turned.

IMG_6846resize_zps1e370a1e.jpg

01LFDoneresize_zpsd2b5d991.jpg

Tuesday evening I did the right front.

There is a recessed grove where the lip meets the spokes, I just couldn't get into very well. I figured I'd try one of these on the right front wheel.

IMG_6847resize_zpse9d83fe3.jpg

Wished I wouldn't have, but again, without trying I'd never know. The foam on the Power Cone and Power Ball is too aggressive for raw aluminum. The Power Cone left holograms where it touched the metal. I ended up working those marks out by hand with Metal Polish #1 and an edgeless utility towel.

I didn't use the cordless drill on the faces of the spokes on any of the remaining three wheels. Just an edgeless utility towel to work the polish, another to wipe off the heaviest of the residue and an all purpose towel to buff to a shine.

IMG_6848resize_zpsc01f39a4.jpg

Wednesday evening the left rear was tackled. Same thing, up in the air and wheel off for easy access.

IMG_6850resize_zps4fb22f89.jpg

The rears are 19x10" with a 3" lip.

IMG_6851resize_zpseabe57e2.jpg

IMG_6852resize_zpscb86a1f0.jpg

03LRDoneresize_zps358c0117.jpg

IMG_6856resize_zps27c6062a.jpg

The right rear was done Saturday morning. I pulled the car out into the natural light, once finished, and could still see a bit of hazing on the lips of the right side wheels. This morning I jacked the right side up and took care of as much of the haze I could see inside the garage.

15 answers to this question

Looking good... soft aluminum for wheels looks fantastic, but it can really cause you to tear your hair out trying to keep them polished. I did raw aluminum once - NEVER AGAIN! LOL

The hoops on the truck wheels is aluminum and I'm already regretting that decision. Once the coating is dialed they may be getting one final polish, coating, and then I'll be done with them for awhile.

Edited by The Shine Doc

Looking good... soft aluminum for wheels looks fantastic, but it can really cause you to tear your hair out trying to keep them polished. I did raw aluminum once - NEVER AGAIN! LOL

The hoops on the truck wheels is aluminum and I'm already regretting that decision. Once the coating is dialed they may be getting one final polish, coating, and then I'll be done with them for awhile.

Well that explains the haircut!

Great job on the wheels!

Edited by GXPaycheck

Nice! Now, go get them clear coated! Haha.

No! If I ever get these right I may have them Ceramic Coated.

Now seal them

Soon...

Hmmmmm. Your car would look awesome with CTS-V big brakes on it and those wheels!

2013 I bought the wheels.

2014 I bought a new suspension. To be installed in January...

2015 Plans; CTS-V BBK!

THOSE NEED OPTI COAT NOW'

Otherwise I'd die trying to keep them clean.

At this point that's what's going on the barrels, still a bit more work on the lips and spoke faces, going to keep them raw for a while yet..

For the hazing you have a couple of options. Either wetsand and use a slightly stronger polish like Mothers... Or grab a set of cotton buff wheels and the correct polishing compounds. You will get much better results that way.

Adam's makes a great metal polish for finishing, but it can't handle heavy stuff very well.

I have always found truck wash's to be a great resource for polishing stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions Kyle, but I'm way past wetsanding!

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/23540-my-turn-restoringpolishing-billet-aluminum-rims/

I have been using Mother's brand of Billet Aluminum polish. It's a paste and is more aggressive than Adam's Metal Polish #1, but doesn't finish down as well as Adam's Metal Polish #2 does. The hazing still remains.

The hazing I bring up can only be seen with a light source being shined directly on the lip, or face of the wheel. I'm overly particular and want these near perfect. I've got another hour in both front wheels since this posting with another type of towel, specifically purposed for soft metal, and might have finally gotten the haze out using Metal Polish #2 and this towel.

Thanks for the suggestions Kyle, but I'm way past wetsanding!

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/23540-my-turn-restoringpolishing-billet-aluminum-rims/

I have been using Mother's brand of Billet Aluminum polish. It's a paste and is more aggressive than Adam's Metal Polish #1, but doesn't finish down as well as Adam's Metal Polish #2 does. The hazing still remains.

The hazing I bring up can only be seen with a light source being shined directly on the lip, or face of the wheel. I'm overly particular and want these near perfect. I've got another hour in both front wheels since this posting with another type of towel, specifically purposed for soft metal, and might have finally gotten the haze out using Metal Polish #2 and this towel.

I must have missed that thread. Any info on the towel you used to get the fine stuff out? I am curious for my own uses.