Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Boost application gone wrong

.Griff.

Question

I had my car ceramic coated at the start of the year - IGL Quartz for any of those familiar with that product.

As a result, I'd been looking at something like Gyeon Cure or CarPro Reload to use as a maintenance/top-up LSP after every 3rd or 4th wash before deciding to give Adams Ceramic Boost 2.0 a try. I'm conscious that CB has been improved in the new iteration but there's doesn't appear to be anything on the bottle to confirm that's what I've received. I'm in the UK so it wasn't ordered directly from Adams.

Long story short. I washed the car with Adams Shampoo, rinsed with my RaceGlaze DI filter, blow-dried the panel gaps, mirrors etc and ensured the paintwork was dry before applying CB as per the instructions in the shade. However, no matter how careful I was the paintwork is covered in smears which I just can't seem to shift.

What's the best method to rectify this? Please be mindful this isn't me bashing the product, simply something went wrong with the application and I'm not sure how to safely remedy it. 

Edited by .Griff.

There is a possibility too much product was applied.  I found a little goes a long way when applying to dry paint.  Too much spray and I got slight slight streaking that was noticeable on my black paint.

I've used it twice now (applied to dry paint and applied to wet paint after washing) and find it much easier to use if I use it like detail spray after washing the car while the paint is still wet and apply it while drying the vehicle panel by panel.

1 hour ago, .Griff. said:

Ah thanks. It's definitely 2.0 I've got then as I followed the "For use with Ceramic Coatings" instructions to the letter.

Any idea why it went wrong and/or how I rectify it?

Do you have any Adams Brillant Glaze? If you do apply that to the areas that appear smeared/streaked. Like Parad0x said less is better. I have a black truck that is coated. I use only 1 spray per panel. 

Edited by Thorsager

24 minutes ago, .Griff. said:

I had my car ceramic coated at the start of the year - IGL Quartz for any of those familiar with that product.

As a result, I'd been looking at something like Gyeon Cure or CarPro Reload to use as a maintenance/top-up LSP after every 3rd or 4th wash before deciding to give Adams Ceramic Boost 2.0 a try. I'm conscious that CB has been improved in the new iteration but there's doesn't appear to be anything on the bottle to confirm that's what I've received. I'm in the UK so it wasn't ordered directly from Adams.

Long story short. I washed the car with Adams Shampoo, rinsed with my RaceGlaze DI filter, blow-dried the panel gaps, mirrors etc and ensured the paintwork was dry before applying CB as per the instructions in the shade. However, no matter how careful I was the paintwork is covered in smears which I just can't seem to shift.

What's the best method to rectify this? Please be mindful this isn't me bashing the product, simply something went wrong with the application and I'm not sure how to safely remedy it. 

The best what to tell if it’s CB 2.0, is to reference the label below. The label changed slightly with CB 2.0 production.

E4B236F2-2C0B-4766-920A-B960107C6929.jpeg

2 hours ago, .Griff. said:

If I were you I’d stick with IGL Premier for your coating.

8 minutes ago, Ls1transam said:

If I were you I’d stick with IGL Premier for your coating.

If life were that simple.

A, I'm in the UK. I can only find one place that sells it.

B, Their website is as reliable as a chocolate teapot (It's not even loading right now)

C, I've waited three weeks for a reply to two emails trying to order it.

So yeah, my first plan was to use Premier but due to the aforementioned, I decided to try ACB 2.0 instead. 

We had a similar discussion last month on here about telling the difference. Here's the thread, but bottom line, if it says to use on glass, it's 2.0. I it says not to, it's 1.0. So @Amiguel6, both of yours are actually 2.0. It's not unusual for labels to change with the same formulas...the key with CB2.0 is use on glass or not.

@.Griff., you can also check the lot number on the bottle - do either of yours have one?

Edited by falcaineer

It says can be used on glass and there's a lot number printed on the bottle, guess that confirms it's 2.0

I must have used too much in that case. Maybe "generously" isn't the best word to use on the instructions. 

Edited by .Griff.

5 minutes ago, .Griff. said:

It says can be used on glass and there's a lot number printed on the bottle, guess that confirms it's 2.0

I must have used too much in that case. Maybe "generously" isn't the best word to use on the instructions. 

Out of curiosity, what's the lot number?

Another tip is not to let it sit and work panel by panel. It doesn't need to cure. Spray on, then wipe off. If available, you could also use a couple towels so one doesn't get soaked with it.

Edited by falcaineer

7 minutes ago, falcaineer said:

Another tip is not to let it sit and work panel by panel. It doesn't need to cure. Spray on, then wipe off. If available, you could also use a couple towels so one doesn't get soaked with it.

That's exactly what I did. 

I had two 600GSM edgeless buffing cloths, used one to apply ACB and one to buff it off doing a panel, or a section of a panel for larger areas (roof, bonnet) at a time.

18 minutes ago, .Griff. said:

That's exactly what I did. 

I had two 600GSM edgeless buffing cloths, used one to apply ACB and one to buff it off doing a panel, or a section of a panel for larger areas (roof, bonnet) at a time.

Gotcha. Like you said, maybe just applied too much. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it, and others may chime in to lend more advice.

21 minutes ago, .Griff. said:

IMG_20190223_140318.jpg

Thought it might include a date, but guess not. At least you know it's 2.0 now, though.

1 minute ago, falcaineer said:

Gotcha. Like you said, maybe just applied too much. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it, and others may chime in to lend more advice.

I think that's what it boils down to. Too much.

However, I'm a bit stuck now as the paintwork looks awful in certain light. Do I just put up with it and wait until x amount of washes later and re-apply properly or is there something I can do in the meantime? 

20 minutes ago, .Griff. said:

I think that's what it boils down to. Too much.

However, I'm a bit stuck now as the paintwork looks awful in certain light. Do I just put up with it and wait until x amount of washes later and re-apply properly or is there something I can do in the meantime? 

That's a full on, traditional coating, right? If so, a few ounces of APC added to your normal wash bucket, or Strip Wash, should remove it without any adverse effects. There are lots of others on here, too, but I'll tag @shane@detailedreflections since I know he works with other coatings just to make sure.

Thanks @falcaineer  We haven’t worked with IGL coatings directly, so I can’t speak directly as to compatibility. 

Ceramic Boost can become very streaky if it’s overapplied. You have a few options in my opinion. 

One is to do a strip wash like was suggested. A few ounces of APC in a wash bucket with soap will help to remove it. 

Give your vehicle a decent clay bar treatment might help pull any other contaminants off as well. 

Some photos of the afflicted areas is a good idea that may give us some more insight as well. If you could post some, we might have further input. 

22 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

Thanks @falcaineer  We haven’t worked with IGL coatings directly, so I can’t speak directly as to compatibility. 

Ceramic Boost can become very streaky if it’s overapplied. You have a few options in my opinion. 

One is to do a strip wash like was suggested. A few ounces of APC in a wash bucket with soap will help to remove it. 

Give your vehicle a decent clay bar treatment might help pull any other contaminants off as well. 

Some photos of the afflicted areas is a good idea that may give us some more insight as well. If you could post some, we might have further input. 

Thanks for the input.

I'll take some photos tomorrow when the light is better and update the thread.

It definitely looks like the application of too much product. It’s either that or a ton of really bad high spots which you would have noticed before now given how bad they are. 

I would use a fresh microfiber and maybe some APC and see if that helps to lift it or level it out. 

If that doesn’t work, strip wash it and see how it looks. 

34 minutes ago, shane@detailedreflections said:

It definitely looks like the application of too much product. It’s either that or a ton of really bad high spots which you would have noticed before now given how bad they are. 

I would use a fresh microfiber and maybe some APC and see if that helps to lift it or level it out. 

If that doesn’t work, strip wash it and see how it looks. 

Thanks Shane. I'll try and rectify it on Tuesday and report back.

Just to clear a few things up in regards to the labels - the label itself does not designate whether it is Ceramic Boost 1.0 or 2.0, and I do apologize for the confusion.

We have only been bottling and shipping the updated 2.0 version of Ceramic Boost since late July 2018, so any order placed after then is 2.0, despite the label differences. We do make changes to the labels from time to time, but it's possible that we still had some of the old label rolls that were used on newer bottles, especially if we were running low on labels - we order the labels from a third party company and sometimes they may take a while to be printed and shipped.

If the boost application is still relatively fresh, I would recommend to spray one mist of Ceramic Boost into a clean microfiber towel, spread it over a small area of the streaking product, and then immediately wipe over the area again with a second clean plush microfiber towel. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then I would move to a few drops of Brilliant Glaze, and then finally a more aggressive product like APC.

Cheers Dan, you probably realise this already but in case not I was the guy you were conversing with directly via email.

Using a microfiber block and spraying ACB 2.0 directly onto that I can remove the streaks albeit in small 6" x 6" sections at a time. Intensive, time consuming and monotonous but it seems to do the trick.

I just applied the Adam''s ceramic coating and did the ceramic boost afterward. I have noticed some smear marks.  If I buff hard they seem to come out.  So is it safe to spray the All Purpose cleaner right onto the paint?  Should you spray it in the micro fiber towel and buff the paint?  I may give the strip wax a shot also. Will any of this remove, damage or impact the application of the ceramic coat?

All in all. I am still happy.. Getting the few smear marks out would be nice, but I will work on it.  I did get a few compliments on my paint at the car show today which was always nice after the work.

Thanks

Edited by vcordaro

1 hour ago, vcordaro said:

I just applied the Adam''s ceramic coating and did the ceramic boost afterward. I have noticed some smear marks.  If I buff hard they seem to come out.  So is it safe to spray the All Purpose cleaner right onto the paint?  Should you spray it in the micro fiber towel and buff the paint?  I may give the strip wax a shot also. Will any of this remove, damage or impact the application of the ceramic coat?

All in all. I am still happy.. Getting the few smear marks out would be nice, but I will work on it.  I did get a few compliments on my paint at the car show today which was always nice after the work.

Thanks

APC is safe, but it will remove everything but the coating. You'll need to reapply whatever was there like Boost. You could also try BG to try and level it out.

1 hour ago, vcordaro said:

Thanks

Smear marks sound like high spots in the coating application. Try some brilliant glaze on it if it’s newly applied to see if that works, otherwise use some finishing polish to knock it down and reapply the coating.