Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Tesla Model 3 - What to use for glass?

billchurch

Question

New Tesla Model 3, a lot of glass on this car. 

No sealants or glass prep has been done yet. Tesla says don't use rain-x on the windshield because of possible chatter (I wouldn't use Rain-X ever) but was looking to seal/protect the glass all around (including the windshield)

Trying to make sense of the options from Adams:

ADAM'S NEW CLEAR VISION GLASS KIT

• Adam's Tough Glass Towels
  • Adam's Clay Mitt
  • Adam's Aerosol Glass Cleaner
  • Adam's 8oz Glass Boost

ADAM'S WINDSHIELD PROTECTION KIT 

• Glass Cleaner 16oz 
  • Glass Boost 8oz 
  • Microfiber Glass Cleaning Towels (2) 
  • Visco Clay Bar Refill Packet

Seems like the major differences here are the clay mitt vs the clay bar..

Then there's the ADAM'S GLASS SEALANT which seems like it should be used before the boost but after the cleaner/clay...

So in my mind, the order is:

• Clean/clay with either the mitt or the bar
  • Sealant
  • Boost

And probably then use the boost during regular washes?

Questions are:

• Kit with the mitt vs the clay bar -- worth the $25 difference
  • My order of operations seem right
  • Is there a kit I'm not seeing that has the Cleaner/Clay/Sealant/Boost/Towels all in one

Thanks,

Bill

9 answers to this question

First off Welcome Bill! :welcome:

The clay mitt is 'reusable' vs. the clay bar which must be replaced when it gets dirty.  But the clay mitt is more aggressive than bar.  Not a problem if you only plan to use it on glass, but something to consider if you plan to remove contamination from the paint. 

I would recommend picking up some Rinseless Wash to use as a clay lube.  You can easily go thru a 16 oz. bottle of Detail Spray on a whole car vs. a few ounces of Rinseless Wash (mixed with distilled water).

Okay, good to know... Honestly I'd much prefer to get new clay vs something thats reusable.

Good tip on the rinseless wash as well.

So seems like for the glass getting the ADAM'S WINDSHIELD PROTECTION KIT and adding the Glass Sealant might be the way to go here.

The windshield protection kit, plus Glass Sealant is an excellent combination.  I use the sealant about once every 3 months and then use the boost every few weeks.   The longevity of the sealant will depend on the weather, wiper usage and whether or not you leave the vehicle outside all the time. 

For the inside of the windshield, I use Brilliant Glaze, it absolutely works wonders and is a product you can use in many locations and for different surfaces. 

I use the glass sealant on my Model S windshield and never have chatter. For the glass roof, I purchased a glass coating (another company since Adam didn’t have one last year) but today, I would use the spray coating on the roof and b pillars to help keep those cameras clean. Oh, and a bit of glass sealant on the backup camera really helps too.

Edited by Tim

14 hours ago, RayS said:

The windshield protection kit, plus Glass Sealant is an excellent combination.  I use the sealant about once every 3 months and then use the boost every few weeks.   The longevity of the sealant will depend on the weather, wiper usage and whether or not you leave the vehicle outside all the time. 

For the inside of the windshield, I use Brilliant Glaze, it absolutely works wonders and is a product you can use in many locations and for different surfaces. 

Wow, Brilliant Glaze on the interior glass? Interesting...

On 3/16/2019 at 12:57 PM, Tim said:

I use the glass sealant on my Model S windshield and never have chatter. For the glass roof, I purchased a glass coating (another company since Adam didn’t have one last year) but today, I would use the spray coating on the roof and b pillars to help keep those cameras clean. Oh, and a bit of glass sealant on the backup camera really helps too.

Hello! I jist got a mode S and want to install the windshield sealant. How did you lift up the vipers?

Here's a tip on wiper chatter after applying a Glass Sealant. Clean the wiper blade by wiping with Windshield Wiper Fluid, then apply the Sealant to the wiper blades and wipe with a paper towel.

On 6/14/2020 at 9:59 AM, Mike99 said:

Hello! I jist got a mode S and want to install the windshield sealant. How did you lift up the vipers?

you can’t fully lift the wipers. On the service menu, toggle the wipers to service mode. That will bring them about half-way up the window. With them in that position you can get the lower part, take service mode off and finish the windshield. 

In case you haven’t used wiper service mode yet, you must turn the wipers off on the stalk first.

PS so don’t try to pull the wipers to pivot away from the windshield, they don’t move more than an inch or so from the windshield.

Edited by Tim