Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brilliant Glaze over Americana Paste Wax

fastimes

Question

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and new to the process of layering premium detailing products.

I have original single stage paint on my 72 Corvette. The paint job is a 15 footer at best, but it's on the car so I tried to enhance it the best that I can.

I started with a strip wash, clay bar and orange correcting polish. That really brought the paint back to life.

I protected that with Americana wax, and routinely touch-up with Adams detail spray.

I recently purchased a bottle of Brilliant Glaze. It's been a while, so I applied another coat of Americana Paste Wax. A day later, I tried the Brilliant Glaze on a section of the hood, to see if I could give the shine a little bump..

I shook the BG,  put a very small amount on the red hex applicator and applied it to the hood. The Brilliant Glaze almost seemed to "melt" the paste wax.  Is this normal? Did I not wait long enough for the wax to "cure"? I'm hesitant to do the rest of the car.

Any advice is appreciated.

7 answers to this question

What do you mean by melt? Any pics? BG can be used on top of or under wax, and is perfectly safe to do so. I'm actually wondering if maybe the haze if leaves behind, which is normal and is removed with a microfiber towel is what you perceived as adverse effects on the wax?

I use Brilliant Glaze over Americana on a regular basis.  After putting it on the vehicle and waiting a few minutes, it will take on a hazy look.  Once it nice and hazy on the entire panel that is when you should grab your clean microfiber towel and buff it off, I prefer a borderless gray.  Once you've completed the entire vehicle, take another clean single soft and go over it again to pick up any places you missed or put on a little thick.

The vehicle should really pop for the next 2 or 3 days and then the effect of the BG will pretty much be gone.

Brilliant Glaze, I've found, will degrade wax it's put over, but slowly over several applications. After polishing I'll lay down a coat of Brilliant Glaze, then apply two coats of wax. Before taking the car to shows or cruise-ins, I'll lay down another coat of Brilliant Glaze over top of the wax that's on the car to give it increased pop and clarity. The solvent in the Brilliant Glaze will remove the wax, but it takes several applications to do so.

On 5/24/2020 at 11:31 AM, fastimes said:

Thanks for the replies!

I guess I applied the products backwards! BG first, then Americana Wax.

Under for Longevity of the Brilliant Glaze

Over for extra pop for a weekend.

Both work, it just comes down to the effect you are after and your personal preference.