Customer Service 866.965.0400

Drill Advice

Cygnus

Question

I'm looking to get a new drill for use with spot pads. After seeing the difference the corded drill made at the Barrett-Jackson clinic over the battery drill, I want to get a corded one. My battery powered drill is great for screws but just doesn't last for polishing. My question is how big of a drill would you guys recommend? I don't want to get something under powered, but I can also see issues getting something that has too much power.

24 answers to this question

I use my cordless drills every single day in my line of work. I go through at least one every year and a half or so. Not because I buy cheap, but because I simply wear them out. With that being said, I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for with cordless drills. I started with Dewalt for about 4 years straight. Absolutely love those drills! Never once let me down and continued to do exactly what I needed them for. I put my drills through daily abuse and the Dewalts are built to last. I found a buy one get one free deal on a Makita a couple years back and decided to give them a shot. They are amazing also! The Makita's have a bit less torque and aren't as "rugged" in the chuck, build, and clutch, but are quieter and lighter. Both seem to have outstanding capabilities that have met and exceeded my expectations.

Both will last you YEARS if you're only using them for detailing and the random jobs around the house.

Unfortunately it is.... :( Luckily though someone backed into my truck a week later and it just happened to be the side of the trucks bed there where dent was so they paid to fix it :D

Now I have painted on the drills "HAMMER" and "REGULAR" in big white letters

Oh man, I'm trying not to laugh, but it must have been quite a surprise! Glad it is fixed now.

Bruce

i prefer the corded when doing headlights and focusing on deep scratches. a cheap 30$ corded drill from walmart will get the job done for sure.

I dont know about Corded.... Not a lot of corded drills let you control the speed. Seems like that just makes it easier to burn a hole in the headlight (figuratively speaking).

Sounds like good advice, hope that's not the voice of experience speaking.

Bruce

Unfortunately it is.... :( Luckily though someone backed into my truck a week later and it just happened to be the side of the trucks bed there where dent was so they paid to fix it :D

Now I have painted on the drills "HAMMER" and "REGULAR" in big white letters

A word of advise though.... If you own a Drill and a Hammer Drill make sure you grab the right one before you start using the 4" Pads.

Sounds like good advice, hope that's not the voice of experience speaking.

Bruce

I use my cordless drills every single day in my line of work. I go through at least one every year and a half or so. Not because I buy cheap, but because I simply wear them out. With that being said, I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for with cordless drills. I started with Dewalt for about 4 years straight. Absolutely love those drills! Never once let me down and continued to do exactly what I needed them for. I put my drills through daily abuse and the Dewalts are built to last. I found a buy one get one free deal on a Makita a couple years back and decided to give them a shot. They are amazing also! The Makita's have a bit less torque and aren't as "rugged" in the chuck, build, and clutch, but are quieter and lighter. Both seem to have outstanding capabilities that have met and exceeded my expectations.

Both will last you YEARS if you're only using them for detailing and the random jobs around the house.

:iagree::iagree:In my line of work the Dewalt is your best drill you can buy. I like change, so I bought the Makita18v hammer drill and impact...and I i gotta say...the Makita doesn't come close to the Dewalt 18v hammer drill and impact.

I have all Craftsman Power Tools with 19.2v Ion Batteries.

I would say buy a drill that you can use for other things besides your car.

A word of advise though.... If you own a Drill and a Hammer Drill make sure you grab the right one before you start using the 4" Pads. :2thumbs: My 2 drills look almost the same.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917191000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

I've had the same one for a couple years now, i've never had an issue with it. :2thumbs:

I have all Craftsman Power Tools with 19.2v Ion Batteries.

I would say buy a drill that you can use for other things besides your car.

A word of advise though.... If you own a Drill and a Hammer Drill make sure you grab the right one before you start using the 4" Pads. :2thumbs: My 2 drills look almost the same.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917191000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

I have this one for my personal use and its never let me down. It also doubles as my project drill so its been used with all manner of bits for drilling out studs to run A/V lines, assembling things, installing things, etc... just keeps going. I've dropped it from the top of a roof, gotten it wet, left it outside accidentally, and it just flat refuses to quit.

http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_29705-70-DC720KA_4294857558+4294926871_4294937087_?productId=1082369&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_DEWALT_4294857558%2B4294926871_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_quantity_sold%7C1&facetInfo=DEWALT

Yep, that's the same unit we have.

Bruce

I bought this one to be a part of our demo kit and its been very impressive:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_300250-353-36618-02_4294936478__?productId=1243873&Ntt=bosch&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Tools_4294936478__s%3FNtt%3Dbosch

I have this one for my personal use and its never let me down. It also doubles as my project drill so its been used with all manner of bits for drilling out studs to run A/V lines, assembling things, installing things, etc... just keeps going. I've dropped it from the top of a roof, gotten it wet, left it outside accidentally, and it just flat refuses to quit.

http://www.lowes.com:80/pd_29705-70-DC720KA_4294857558+4294926871_4294937087_?productId=1082369&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_DEWALT_4294857558%2B4294926871_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_quantity_sold%7C1&facetInfo=DEWALT

I have both. Both B&D. I use the battery unit for the easy small jobs and with my ACE power stick. I use the corded for the larger harder jobs. I prefer the power of the corded.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Is your battery drill very old? My new DeWalt 14v last a long time & charges fast!:thumbsup:

It's a few years old now, but the battery hasn't been cycled much. I think it's mainly just underpowered for the job. It's a lower end B&D that I got mainly for putting together and taking apart some of my furniture. It was bought appropriately for that, not for spot buffing. So it's a right tool for the job type of thing.

I use a Dewalt that came with two battery packs. Gets the job done nicely.

Bruce

We also have a Dewalt, as well as a BOSCH. Both are lithium ion technology, which is simply awesome. Cost 3X the typical 24V technology, but hold power much longer, and nothing is worse than a cheap tool that doesn't do the trick!

;)

I'm looking to get a new drill for use with spot pads. After seeing the difference the corded drill made at the Barrett-Jackson clinic over the battery drill, I want to get a corded one. My battery powered drill is great for screws but just doesn't last for polishing. My question is how big of a drill would you guys recommend? I don't want to get something under powered, but I can also see issues getting something that has too much power.

Is your battery drill very old? My new DeWalt 14v last a long time & charges fast!:thumbsup:

Archived