Customer Service 866.965.0400

What did you do today?

3PedalMINI

Matt this statement caught my attention, with it being January. Hopefully they didn't tell your parents it was good to go come spring. And told your parents they would come back and charge the system when it warms up.

"Air conditioner charging should not be performed when outdoor temperatures are below 55"

IMHO if it is 55 degrees outside I still wouldn't do it. I would wait till outdoor temps were atleast 70 or better. I went the rodeo with 2 different HVAC companies where I live one being my own system. The other a family members system that I knew wasn't charged but they told her originally that it was good to go. I told her to not even turn it on. Due to her circumstances I knew what they did was wrong. They ended up fixing it.

You're correct. They are coming back once it does warm up to do a charge and to test the system fully to make sure it operates properly come spring time. Right now we are enjoying the fireplace heat! :2thumbs:

Oh and for what I did today, I received an email and my project for the G8 community is coming along very, VERY well. I can't wait to show this one off!!! I should have some goodies sent over to me by the end of this coming week. If I get permission from the company that is heading up this project with me I'll see about posting up some photos. Maybe... :jester:

Today I went replaced the wax seal on my toilet because it was leaking. Gross. Found out the entire sub floor in my bathroom is rotten and needs to be replaced. Looks like my plans to remodel my kitchen are going to have to wait until I remodel my Bathroom first. I also found out that the floor in my kitchen slopes, and there is also a large section of rotten sub floor as well.:mad:

Ah the joys of owning a 80 year old house that has been neglected for the last 50 years. Good times.

Plans for the house over the next year or so:

Completely Gut and Remodel Bathroom

Completely Gut and Remodel Kitchen

Replace all interior and exterior doors

Replace flooring in living/dining with fake hard woods, new carpet in both bedrooms, and tile in kitchen and bathroom.

Replace fuses with breakers

Replace much of the wiring

Insulate all exterior walls, floor, and ceiling (right now the only insulation in the entire house is cellulose insulation that was blown into the ceiling).

Replace the cracked Asbestos/Cement siding with new siding

That looks like quite list. Hopefully you have someone to give you a hand. In the process of doing a lot of that at moms house. She however is on a cement slab, so no chance of rotting floor. Have new power and about 3/4 of the house rewired.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the office where I couldn't resist the front end of the lot being unplowed AND empty:

IMAG0485.jpg

Sorry for the dirty (outside) window and cel phone pic, but you get the idea. :willy:

After working the morning I met my wife and twins at a local private school for an open house. We liked what we saw but more importantly the twins cried when it was time to leave saying "I want to stay in school!" We then went to lunch. Abby and I ordered breakfast and Mama and Caitlyn ordered lunch. I couldn't help but over hear the couple next to us bragging on how nice their red Explorer looked. :confused: Lo and behold guess who was parked a spot away from me, yup the red or should I say swirly red Explorer.

Pardon the cel phone pic, it didn't pick up the drip marks down the door or the tire grease sling marks.

IMAG0487-crop.jpg

Edited by sportredmistress

Went to the Harrisburg new car show today--it's getting pretty sad as there are only about half of the manufacturers that used to be represented--on a positive note, met some of the Blue Moon Cruisers there, a few that were at the Fall Clinic.

Then washed the Subie for the first time in I'm sorry to say wayyyyy too long. It still looks pretty good, I've been neglecting the old girl.

Got the weekly allergy shot. Did some grocery shopping. Washed the truck and put on a coat of Americana. Swept out the garage, picked up dog poo. That one is always fun. Fed all the animals, including the wifes horse. A chore I typically don't do. And cleaned the pellet stove. I felt like it was a productive day. Not as lucky today as yesterday however. Found 40 bucks in the gutter yesterday...:2thumbs: But still a good day.

Went to the Mecum auto auction in Kissimmee. Only about 2200 cars to be auctioned over the 6 day event! We went inside to watch the auction for about an hour and there was over 1.5 million dollars bid during that time. Some of the bidding was perplexing - a 72 LT1 convertible 'Vette went for $105,000. The next car was a 63 Split Window injection struggled to get $95,000. Lots and lots and lots of Corvette's were the to be auctioned, with several coming from collections. This auction drew mostly muscle cars, with a lot of Camaro's available.

Picked up a rental because my TBSS is in the dealer for some work but I couldn't stand the blurry vision out of the windshield in the rain. So when I got home from work I cleaned/clayed/sealed the rental's windshield to fix that problem.

The next person who gets this truck will have a crystal clean, slick windshield. :D

thought about getting a job and closing shop after these two larger jobs finish up and not taking on any new clients....The AV world and its customers are seriously burning me out :mad::(

Sorry to hear that Brendon. I don't envy anybody really that has their own business. It is a lot of work. And it doesn't end when you go home. I show up punch in. Do the job. Punch out and go home. And I get 6 weeks of vacation and don't have to worry about falling behind.

Sorry to hear that Brendon. I don't envy anybody really that has their own business. It is a lot of work. And it doesn't end when you go home. I show up punch in. Do the job. Punch out and go home. And I get 6 weeks of vacation and don't have to worry about falling behind.

Yeah, I need some time to think about it more, its a decision i cant make in a day or week. Come August 5th il will have been in business for 6 years. I made it though economy tanking (barely) and legitimately started this business my senior year of high school.

i have half of a degree in business from comunity college and im thinking im going to have to go back. I dropped out when i was swamped 4 years ago and then the economy tanked. I wasn't able todo my school work and im pretty sure ill have to redo alot of my classes.

I gave up my dream of going to William & Marry to pursue my dream of owning an AV company. Going into it i was well aware of the ups and downs and how hard it is to truly run a successful business. Most everyone looks at a business thats successful and think to them selves "Man it was an overnight success" what they dont see is the years and years of blood sweat and tears that goes into it to get to that point.

Im at a point in my life where i either go forward and this will be my lively hood for the rest of my life or I wind down operations slowly and hope that maybe i could go to college at W&M and not be that "old weird guy" :lol:

My customers are mostly great but im in a business where after i leave a job site im not "DONE" I have to be there to service the system or answer questions or get the programming redone because a macro was off or 3 months after installation the TV falls out of sync etc etc. My industry also is in a state of "fish out of water" Nobody is confident this industry will be able to sustain an actually livelihood in 3-5 years.

I sometimes think i made a huge mistake until i talk to someone my age and they just got out of college with 400k in debt, cant get a job and the only job they can find is working at a fast food joint. Then i think to my self i made the right move. IDK, i need to do some soul searching.

Its not so much the service that gets me its the constant battles with manufactures sending defective pieces and the customers that price shop any and everything and then fall off the back of their chair when the estimate comes in. I don't even give model numbers or line by line pricing any more to try and circumvent it. I also get tired of explaining why my hourly rate is higher the the trunk slammer thats bidding the job and customers that dont understand that for every 1 hour of billable time there is 2-3 hours of non-billable time behind the scenes.

this has been in the back of my mind for a awhile now and every day i grow sicker and sicker of my industy. I love the AV world, i just HATE what BB,Amazon and Walmart have done to my industry. Ive never compared my self to them, or my clients. I have some insanely wealthy clients that 8 years ago would have spent 100k on a system, now they think they can get the same thing for less then 10 grand :willy:

Sorry for the rant. Can you get me a job at UPS? :jester::2thumbs: im tired of staying up until 2:30 am doing estimates/book keeping/bills :lolsmack:

Edited by 3PedalMINI

No classes today, and enjoyed a decent day of not doing much. Yesterday spent 5+ hours on homework. Tomorrow morning back up at 6 for an hour drive to school and another long day of classes and homework.

In need of a "why college is good" motivational speech right now.

Washed the G8 and discovered that the black edgeless towels are AWESOME! In my advancing senility I had left my singlesofts upstairs in the closet and instead had the black towels in my kit. :confused: Since I'm sometimes Captain Lazy I thought "what the heck" and used them to wipe off Detail Spray. The finish looks great.:thumbsup: Once again, Adam's FTW!:banana:

I also discovered my new employee's husband is a professional paint and body man with 20 years in the business. We now have another super clean vehicle in the parking lot and I welcome the competition, bring it on!