Customer Service 866.965.0400

What did you do today?

3PedalMINI

Helped the wife with her horses and went to lunch. It was nice to take a break from painting. Got all the big stuff done. Just have baseboards and doors to do. It was one of those projects you just keep putting off, (because of volume) but eventually just suck it up, because you know it needs to be done. Glad I did it. The wife feels like she has a new house. Ordered a couple of ignitors for the pellet stove from Amazon. Just had a gut feeling it was going to die this season.

The house was built in 1939, Im assuming most of that wiring was from 39, but there is some new wiring my Grandpa did (he use to own it and has since 1962). We are upgrading to a 200 amp service (50 right now), which i way more than needed, but it was only a little more $ than a 100 amp service. We keep poping fuses all the time because most of the house it hooked to just one fuse, which is going to be fixed.

You may want to go with two panels for the house and divide it up more but not sure if you want to do that.

You may want to go with two panels for the house and divide it up more but not sure if you want to do that.

Why??? 30 spaces and 40 circuits and 200 amps is way more than enough.

Not certain if this is the "exact" panel that is being used. Just used it as an example. The Homeline series is typical from my experience that is used.

Square D by Schneider Electric Homeline 200 Amp 30-Space 40-Circuit Indoor Main Breaker Load Center with Cover Value Pack-HOM3040M200VP at The Home Depot

The parts are cheaper to.

Square D by Schneider Electric Homeline 20 Amp Single-Pole Circuit Breaker-HOM120 at The Home Depot

Square D by Schneider Electric QO 20-Amp Single-Pole Circuit Breaker-QO120CP at The Home Depot

Went to the dentist at lunch time for a cleaning. Came home after work and did dishes after dinner.

At dinner:

4 1/2 year old Caitlyn : "Papa."

Me: "Yes Caitlyn."

Caitlyn: "I love you Papa."

Me: "I love you too Caitlyn."

It just doesn't get any better than that. It made my day. :)

Worked my butt off! Lol I'm flat rate so I got 13.5hrs in today and only worked 8. Placed an Adams order with gallon on LIC, GWC slowly building up my stash lol and getting ready for the detailing season to start up. :-)

This is a video of my dog doing box work for flyball.... still got work to do on it but you get the drift

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OFoc9YS7aY&feature=youtube_gdata_player]diesel - YouTube[/ame]

What we will be doing by the end of summer hopefully!

Got up early and took the Charger into get emissions done. Was in the building for 10 minutes literally, come out to a white out. Hurried home, hate that car in the snow.

BBQ'd up some rib eye steak and wild caught sock eye salmon, along with baked potato, corn, and ciabatta bread. Now just wishing it were warmer outside. C'mon Spring.

Went to Jungle Jim's in Fairfield OH and enjoyed a nice day with the family.

I used to live about 15 mins away from there in Trenton Oh. I loved going to that place! I miss it too, not really any other place like it that i've found.

Why??? 30 spaces and 40 circuits and 200 amps is way more than enough.

Mine has 2 200 Amp Panesl (30 spaces in each panel my memory) which is half the house on one panel the other half is on the other.

You may want to see what your meter base is too since your doing an upgrade.

Mine has 2 200 Amp Panesl (30 spaces in each panel my memory) which is half the house on one panel the other half is on the other.

You may want to see what your meter base is too since your doing an upgrade.

Meter base has to be replaced as well to match panel in house. So if panel inside is going to be 200 amp, meter base has to be 200 amp as well. You can't fit 4/0 wire in a connection that on a meter base for example is rated at 100 amps and is designed for wire (aluminum) no bigger than #2. In Diggerdans situation it is less than 100 amps. If aluminum wire is used for feeder (run between meter base and inside panel) it should be 4/0 wire. If copper is used it should be 2/0, for 200 amp service. Copper however is considerably more expensive. An anti oxidant compound needs to be used at all service connections if aluminum wire is used for the feeder. Ideal NOALOX 4 oz. Anti-Oxidant Compound-30-026 at The Home Depot Aluminum wire isn't used anymore for anything more than the feeder (main run from outside to inside). Other wire is copper.

Nothing wrong with (2) 200 amp panels just is way over kill for the average home IMHO. I have 125 amps in my house (4000 sq. ft.) and have never had an issue. My appliances however are gas, except for dryer. In all reality if you have electric everything, (stove, water heater, dryer, central air, etc) 125 amps is plenty. And that is taking into consideration everything on and running, which I know never happens at my house. You have 30 spaces in your panel, but may have the ability to put 40 circuits in it. I know with the Square D Homeline series, the bottom 5 spaces (each side, 10 total) have the ability to use breakers that have 2 circuits but occupy 1 space. Square D by Schneider Electric Homeline 1-15-Amp 1-20-Amp Single-Pole Tandem Circuit Breaker-HOMT1520CP at The Home Depot There are a lot of different combinations available as well. Not just the one I used as an example in the link.

I by no means am a licensed electrician. I did however buy the NEC and spent a lot of time reading it. Reads like a legal document. One of those books where at times you need to read something several times to understand. I did a service upgrade to my moms house from 60 amp to 125. There was no main shutoff without cutting the Electrical Companies tamper tag and pulling the meter. Didn't want to find out what the fine was. Call me stupid, but I did it all live. I had one shot to pass otherwise should would have had to pull another permit. The guy she hired to do it just kept getting a work in progress, to drag permit out. It was a disaster, and would have failed. I ripped out everything he had done and replaced and moved it. Inspection day I passed with no issues whatsoever.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/National-Electrical-Handbook-International-Electric/dp/0877659168/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361684472&sr=8-1&keywords=national+electrical+code]National Electrical Code 2011 Handbook (International Electric Code Series): National Fire Protection Association: 9780877659167: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Daniel. If you can find an insulation supply house to sell to you, it will be cheaper than going to HD or Lowes. Atleast that has been my experience. Another tip is check between the price of the faced and unfaced and determine if it would be cheaper for you to go with the unfaced and then pick up a roll of visqueen for the vapor barrier. And if your doing a ton of cutting pick up one of these. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-CONSUMER-10-113-Insulation-Cutter/dp/B00002X2IB/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1361756329&sr=1-2&keywords=insulation+cutter]Amazon.com: STANLEY CONSUMER TOOLS #10-113 Insulation Cutter Knife: Home Improvement[/ame] Does a great job. I found one locally then broke it and had to order another off of Amazon.

Another option for you would be to have someone come do spray foam insulation. It looks as though you have 2x4 walls so they would have to do the whole thing like in the video below. I have 2x6 walls and had all the exterior walls sprayed then insulated them with R13 batts. Without the sprayed in foam I could have used R19, but wouldn't have gotten the R-value that I did going the route that I chose with the sprayed in and fiberglass. Batts and foam would compress the insulation too much in your situation being your walls are 2x4. You would have to go with one or the other. The nice thing however is that it seals out all exterior penetrations. Just an idea.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFjxWdPPY1Q]Spray Foam Insulation - The Intelligent Choice - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by LFairbanks

Spray foam is the shiz! we have it in our house. our builder sprayed it after installing drywall, as well as on the inside of the roof instead of laying it in between the rafters of the ceiling. $60 electric bills and an attic that stays below 80 in the hot summer months!

Daniel. If you can find an insulation supply house to sell to you, it will be cheaper than going to HD or Lowes. Atleast that has been my experience. Another tip is check between the price of the faced and unfaced and determine if it would be cheaper for you to go with the unfaced and then pick up a roll of visqueen for the vapor barrier. And if your doing a ton of cutting pick up one of these. Amazon.com: STANLEY CONSUMER TOOLS #10-113 Insulation Cutter Knife: Home Improvement Does a great job. I found one locally then broke it and had to order another off of Amazon.

Another option for you would be to have someone come do spray foam insulation. It looks as though you have 2x4 walls so they would have to do the whole thing like in the video below. I have 2x6 walls and had all the exterior walls sprayed then insulated them with R13 batts. Without the sprayed in foam I could have used R19, but wouldn't have gotten the R-value that I did going the route that I chose with the sprayed in and fiberglass. Batts and foam would compress the insulation too much in your situation being your walls are 2x4. You would have to go with one or the other. The nice thing however is that it seals out all exterior penetrations. Just an idea.

Yeah i priced out insulation at a local insulation place and they were about the same as home depot so I just got everything there.

Isulation has been a pain in the but since the house was built in 1939 and the space between the studs are not the same. Some are 16", some are 18" some are only 4". So i have to cut all the insualtion to fit. I wish i could afford to have someone come out and do the spary foam, but Im doing everything myself.

For right now Im just insulating my kitchen since that is the room that i have completly torn apart. I am trying to figure out now exactly what to do with the rest of the house. I dont want to rip out the drywall in the rest of the house to do insulation. I know the local insulation shop has a process where they can drill a hole in the insulation and spray in a different type of foam insulaiton. I am also re-siding my house this summer. It has a layer of Asbestos/Cement insualtion, then cedar siding under that. Both are going to be removed and I may be able to do isulation in the rest of the house then. Either I will have someone do the spary foam where they drill holes, or I will removed the sheeting on the house and then insulate from the outside.

The ceiling is full of cellulose insulation which does a pretty good job but its a pain when you have to get up in the ceiling. I spent a couple hours this weekend playing in that stuff. Good times.