Customer Service 866.965.0400

A way to apply Americana

shad2009

Question

25 answers to this question

I was curious enough to try and rub some wax on with my bare hands. That stuff went on so thick in spots and I couldn't smooth it out at all. It was a total waste of time and effort...total joke.

After applying wax with my PC and grey pad...I can't imagine doing it any other way. I got such a smooth, uniform coverage area that removal was easy and the finish was great.

I do love me some Top Gear UK :lol:

It's definitely my favorite show, but after being awakened by Adam's, I cringe every time I see the paint on the cars they drive.

Here's a video that happens to demonstrate the hand application technique. The detailing segment starts about 2 minutes in.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YzmCPv73HCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wait what? Don't you usually apply it by hand? Is this like a joke thread or something? I am so confused, and the painkillers I am on right now are not helping. What do you mean by hand?

By hand as in breaking off a chunk of wax, rubbing it on your hands, then rubbing your hands on the paint. Its a gimmick regularly demonstrated with super high dollar waxes.

The "hand" application method is greatly over exaggerated to have some kind of benefit in order to create some kind of mystique around the process.

"OMG! LOOK! He's rubbing it in with his bare hands!!"

Some companies tell you that the heat of your hands activate special enzymes in the wax, others will tell you that the heat of your hands creates an ideal viscosity for application, while others won't tell you why at all and just want it to be a mystery.

The real reason (I suspect) is that it causes you to waste a lot of wax and thus you'll be buying it more frequently. Try a "hand application" of Americana... see that theres no benefit, realize that you just wasted about 3oz of wax, then go back to the applicator wiser for your experience :D

well put sir...i thought his way was kinda weird anyway because the wax he was using was ina tub smaller then the americana...i'm thinking it was just for that shot...but oh well, to each his own...he makes the money to buy more lol

Why would you ever do this? There is no benefit. Paul Dalton does that to increase the 'WOW" factor. After all, when detailing professionally, presentation is key to making your client feel comfortable.

Im with Dylan here, its just a waste of wax.

The "hand" application method is greatly over exaggerated to have some kind of benefit in order to create some kind of mystique around the process.

"OMG! LOOK! He's rubbing it in with his bare hands!!"

Some companies tell you that the heat of your hands activate special enzymes in the wax, others will tell you that the heat of your hands creates an ideal viscosity for application, while others won't tell you why at all and just want it to be a mystery.

The real reason (I suspect) is that it causes you to waste a lot of wax and thus you'll be buying it more frequently. Try a "hand application" of Americana... see that theres no benefit, realize that you just wasted about 3oz of wax, then go back to the applicator wiser for your experience :D

kool...i just thought it was crazy applying a coat of wax with your bare hands...never knew you could do it

I've done it before and I would recommend trying it on a really small car if you are going to try it :lolsmack:

Archived