Customer Service 866.965.0400

Washed truck...not happy.

Frid

Question

Just got done giving the truck a bath. After I took one of those surebright lights and scanned the entire truck seeing what defects I could find. Unfortunately I found a good amount of spots where scratches are now, front end grille, bumper that have been painted are disgusting looking. All and all definitely gonna have to do a detail on the truck where those spots are. Pretty mad as we just got done doing this a few days ago. They didn't show then and now all of a sudden they want to come out. As for the front I don't know what to do. So many chips on the bumper and grill and smears, etc. I might just go over them now with the PC even though its been only around 70 days since I've had them painted. It's just too bad to look at. Besides that it looks half way decent. Just gonna have to use my 50/50 alcho. and water to get the areas where scratching is tomorrow morning and might just do the whole front end. Srry for the ranting just irritating when I shined the light over it.

18 answers to this question

Yeah, I feel your pain. I have a teeny little car, that is notorious for bonnet and windshield chips because of the shape of the front end. My last one was all beat up and I spent a lot of time fixing and repairing. I just got a new one and bit the bullet and spent the money on a good clearbra. Guess I'll see if it makes a difference this time.

Annette

Yeah just got done. Swirls are going but the front end really needs to be repainted already. What a waste of money for the paint. Don't have the experience to correct it.

I hear ya on having a BIG black truck, it can be a PITA. But so worth when you get it right.

I am also going to have to paint my front bumper as it is hammered with pits and scratches.

One thing I ALWAYS have to keep in mind when I am detailing my truck, is the fact that it is a daily driver and it will never be perfect, however, it is in better shape then most black vehicles in my area with 5,000 miles. No one believes me that my truck has 138,000 miles on it.

price on that? I will probably dish out the money for new paint and clear bra. I'll be in korea for a year saving up. $400 extra each month :D.

I would like to hear what Dylan does to maintain his ride with chips etc.

Yeah, feelin ya on those rock chips. 33000 on my 08 and the painted piece undernieth the grill is always a huge target. Yours bieng lowered im sure helps alot. I use the paint pen(up close you can tell but far away not at all). Better than new paint every couple of months.

SO you can get them custom fitted? If so thats works out for me cause I have a gab in between my headlights and hood and it will be able to cover the grill down. Will look into that. Gonna go to my buddy tomorrow at ultimateaudio and get priced.

Once the clearbra has cured, it is pretty hard to detect. If I stand at a certain angle I can see it, especially because I know it's there. If you do the entire hood, then there is no line of course, but I only did about halfway up mine, which is pretty standard.

You can't wax over it, but you can apply synthetic polish to it.

Here's a pic that may help,

bottom_2.jpg

No need to apologize. We've all thought our cars were perfect until we put a good light on it. Then it 's crying time. :lolsmack:

yup....did this tonight, im working on corecting my DD and spend 3hours on the back hatch (stupid audi's and their curves, takes foreverrrrr) i was so proud of my self i could not believe the shine i had on there and i hadnt even addded Revive,MSW or Americana. I cleaned up for the night, pulled my truck in the driveway with the garage still open and headlights on and figured i would inspect my work....i had that co cky grin until i got to about 5 feet and just about burst into tears:help::lolsmack:

it wasnt until i went and wiped some residue off that i looked down at my *clean single soft MF towel and saw i nice spec of sand in it:help:...luckily its only on two flat parts next to the license plate and shouldn't take that much more to correct it back again...:mad:

Thats the problem with adams...you just want perfection and it becomes an obsession with having a perfect vehicle....i sometimes want it to be back to the way it was when my old methods were "good enough".....SIKE, im just kidding:lolsmack:i dont really mean that lol

what is a clear bra exactly?

ClearBra automotive paint protection applies the protective concept of the vinyl car bra, only in the form of a clear, razor thin film that protects vulnerable auto surfaces from roadway debris. It’s an auto paint protection system that prevents chipping of the paint and lights on your valuable automobiles. At only eight mils thick, ClearBra auto paint protection is composed of a self-annealing outer layer combined with an energy-absorbing under layer. This modern technology creates a trampoline effect against rock chips - a prized car owner's greatest worry. Tough and reliable, ClearBra also insures against bug damage, minor abrasion, and weathering.

I believe the clearbra on my MINI cost me about $400 or so, but I had it done when I had the windows tinted, plus we had my husband's MINI tinted and put clearbra on the rear bumper.

It is pretty common on the MINI to have it done since the car is shaped the way it is and is and the bonnet is so low it is a magnet for chips. Be aware that if you decide to go this route, like anything else, you get what you pay for. There are cheap versions out there that will yellow and crack or at worst can damage the finish. I got a recommendation from the local Maserati dealership and then found out the folks that did my MINI also do the clearbras for the Bentley dealership as well. I'm very happy with mine, it took about 2-3 weeks for it to totally form to my car and for any lingering bubbles to work out, but it looks great.

Annette

Yeah just got done. Swirls are going but the front end really needs to be repainted already. What a waste of money for the paint. Don't have the experience to correct it.

is it possible they're paint defects from when you painted the parts? if so, i would take it back to the place to have them re-do it all!

rock chips do happen, best protection is clear bra, bug deflector, or a paint pen! one of the reasons my DD's are never a dark color.

Archived