Customer Service 866.965.0400

WW yes or no?

kchisarik

Question

I have a new black car, I work a lot during the week so washing will only happen on weekends. Is it better to WW through the week once or twice between "real" washes, or just leave it, deal with the dirt that occurs as a DD and two bucket wash once a week?

I can deal with a little dirt if only washing using two bucket is best for my paint in the long run.

I have read that WW will scratch, even if done properly using the JunkMan techniques....

Thoughts?... and thanks!

15 answers to this question

It depends on who you ask. Junkman will say nothing but the two bucket system, which is the safest way to go. However you'll find a bunch of threads of successfully using Waterless Wash without scratching:

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10447

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12848

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8198

I'm sure Chris will chime in soon as he has both a black GTO and a black G8, granted they aren't daily drivers, but I'm pretty sure Waterless Wash is one of his favorite products. I'm personally not scared of using Waterless Wash in between regular washes, but I have a white car, and some would consider that cheating.

I use the WW only on the front end to clean the dead bugs off. I have used it on the hood a few times and with a black car I will not do it again.

I wash and detail my car every weekend with Adams bubble bath foam gun and give her a nice rub down and detail the engine.

2e1250a3.jpg

WW will not scratch...but your towel and/or technique might.

The risk of scratching when using WW is reduced once the car is properly sealed with MSS and protected with a coat or two of wax as there will be a barrier between your towel and your paint. I regularly use WW on my medium/darkish blue paint and that car rarely gets washed the regular way. It's a weekend toy and stays inside, so we're not necessarily comparing apples to apples, but I don't have any problems with WW scratching or swirling.

As others have already stated, the risk is even further reduced, but certainly not eliminated, if you just wait and do a proper two bucket wash.

Black is indeed tough and does take more time, effort, and attention. Seal it up, protect it, and practice good technique.

- Darryl

I think I will hold off for bucket washes on the weekend and wait to WW until I get a few coats of sealant and wax on her and get a feel for exactly how tempermental the paint is. I think that makes sense, hopefully, great tips all thanks!

I think I will hold off for bucket washes on the weekend and wait to WW until I get a few coats of sealant and wax on her and get a feel for exactly how tempermental the paint is. I think that makes sense, hopefully, great tips all thanks!

Good choice.

Being black and a DD my guess is it will get to dirty to properly use WW consistantly.

Technique and common sense trump product... when I'm on top of it, I can maintain my truck with a daily (sometimes multiple times daily) wipe down of waterless wash and never see a bit of damage, but if improperly used, or used when the car is too dirty it can happen.

So the real thing to ask yourself is if you can stay on top of the upkeep or if its just easier for you to do a 2 bucket wash 1x a week. Its always going to be the safer choice, just comes down to whether or not you can deal with how it will look in between.

Technique and common sense trump product... when I'm on top of it, I can maintain my truck with a daily (sometimes multiple times daily) wipe down of waterless wash and never see a bit of damage, but if improperly used, or used when the car is too dirty it can happen.

So the real thing to ask yourself is if you can stay on top of the upkeep or if its just easier for you to do a 2 bucket wash 1x a week. Its always going to be the safer choice, just comes down to whether or not you can deal with how it will look in between.

:iagree:

That's the $1M question right there... when is a car considered "too dirty" for any type of waterless wash? It's a [true] grey area that's a matter of personal preference/ interpretation.... you say "tah-mar-toe" I say "to-may-toe."

Stick to the method that's served many for many years with much success... a two bucket wash!

That's the $1M question right there... when is a car considered "too dirty" for any type of waterless wash? It's a [true] grey area that's a matter of personal preference/ interpretation.... you say "tah-mar-toe" I say "to-may-toe."

There's no rocket science to it at all. I give a very defined measuring stick to determine when dirty is "too dirty" in my Waterless Wash videos. All the guess work has been removed.

Oh hot ****, THE Junkman replied to my thread!

Funny thing is for the first time ever I think I look forward to washing on Saturday mornings!

One more question (ok thats probably a lie), any benefit to using a pressure washer in the wash process over a regular old hose and spray nozzle?

I have a black car also and here in PA I haven't seen a drop of rain for three weeks! The car is a daily driver and lives outside. I enjoy a two bucket wash, but I have been keeping the dust off the car with WW for the last few weeks and I don't have any swirls. Technique, a gentle touch, proper MF towels and as Dylan stated, not using WW on a car that is too dirty will help you maintain the finish with WW when you just don't feel like pulling out the buckets! Happy detailing... :D

Archived