Customer Service 866.965.0400

self healing paint

xlr8rvette

Question

12 answers to this question

Do a search "self healing paint" on internet. Several listings. Nissan is suppose to offer it this year as an option in Japan. When I first heard of this I sent emails to a few companies offering to let them use it on the black Vette.....received no replies (darn )

I recall seeing a piece on that a while back. It looked pretty cool, but the story said that it would only work for something like 5 or 6 years. So while it would be great for a DD that you're not going to keep forever, I got the impression that it wasn't going to be great shakes for high-end or classic cars.

Guess we should start looking for a new product to fix paint that doesn't need to be fixed!

Self-healing paint: http://www.leftlanenews.com/infiniti-ex35.html

The EX comes standard with Nissan's new "fluid finish" technology. The specialized paint has been tested in Japan on the X-Trail crossover, but the EX marks the first time the technology is available in America.

Minor scratches in the clearcoat disappear in hours or days thanks to an elastic resin that flows back into shape after being damaged.

More:http://motorpinion.com/self-healing-paint-finally/

Self Healing Paint…Finally!?

EX2.jpg

You read it right, self healing paint! We have been waiting ages for this on our cars. Is it finally here on the new Infiniti EX and FX? Answer, Kinda’. Infiniti calls their new product the Infiniti Scratch Shield. However, it is not the paint that is the “miracle” news here, it’s the clearcoat. Infiniti claims the clearcoat is able to repair fine damage such as fingernail scratches and swirl marks from washing. The clearcoat is able to restore the surface close to its original state while maintaining the car’s gloss level over time. Using a special highly elastic resin, the Scratch Shield process can take anywhere from one day to a week depending on the ambient temperature and depth of the scratch . This resin is combined with a conventional clearcoat to increase its flexibility and strength. The Scratch Shield will not be able to repair damage that gets past the clearcoat and into the paint.

Think of it this way, when it is warm enough out, the clearcoat can become just flexible enough to “stretch” back to its original shape. Guess up here in New England, we will have to wait a while in the winter for the technology to do its work. On the other hand, I do have a couple of questions. How will the body shops cope with this brand new product used on only one vehicle brand in the US. More importantly, how much will it cost to get body work fixed?

Edited by Adam

This is the first I am hearing of this so I did a quick Google search and it appears the finish is only good for three years according to the NISSAN press release (did not find anything after 2005). This would be a show stopper for me.

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2005/_STORY/051202-01-e.html

:iagree: Yea, I think that's the same article I had seen a while ago. Good for just 3 years? Not worth it to me.

I think we need to look at this not as a negative thing in terms of low durability and such, but as a major step forward in the progression of auto paint. I would imagine this is just showcasing what may become standard in later years, only with the durability and lifespan of paint we have currently!