Customer Service 866.965.0400

Guy win GT-R Ebay auction with no reserve, Dealer won't sell it

Stryker

Won ebay auction at 55.1K for GT-R, Honda of San Marcos - MY350Z.COM Forums

A guy won a GT-R on Ebay from a dealer in TX on a No Reserve auction. Apparently the car sold for less than they expected ($55k) and now they won't honor the deal until he pays more.

He has already filed a lawsuit against the dealer for Deceptive Trade Practice

Pretty interesting story developing. I expect to see this over a few car forums in the next few days. Sounds like he has a solid case against them.

I believe I've seen this happen before, but I can't remember the outcome. I'd think that if you set an auction at "no reserve," then at the end, ya gotta give up the goods.

I went and read all the posts on the link. Thid dealer is gonna lose a ton of mula if he doesn't just honor the sale. The net is a powerful beast.

winning an auction is a legally binding contract... pretty sure if it was like a laptop you could get away with not giving it up...

a GTR yeah that is gonna be a big legal case

and someone def got fired already

I can recall 3 other times this has happened, most recently w/ a BMW M3 and from what I remember the guy ended up getting the car.

Althought, this guys only really saving $5k which is a small consolation when I realized that the "dealer prep" had already been done to this car -

FREE HOLOGRAMS!!

post-1263-136818053322_thumb.jpg

GREASY BROWN SILICONED TIRES, NO EXTRA CHARGE!!

post-1263-136818053334_thumb.jpg

So he won it for 55k and the dealership wants 59k. Wow this dealership is going to be in a lot of crap because of 4 thousand dollars. They are going to have to spend a lot more than that in lawyer fees. If they were smart they would take the 4k loss and be done with it.

I can recall 3 other times this has happened, most recently w/ a BMW M3 and from what I remember the guy ended up getting the car.

Althought, this guys only really saving $5k which is a small consolation when I realized that the "dealer prep" had already been done to this car -

FREE HOLOGRAMS!!

[ATTACH]7612[/ATTACH]

GREASY BROWN SILICONED TIRES, NO EXTRA CHARGE!!

[ATTACH]7613[/ATTACH]

:lolsmack::lolsmack:

So he won it for 55k and the dealership wants 59k. Wow this dealership is going to be in a lot of crap because of 4 thousand dollars. They are going to have to spend a lot more than that in lawyer fees. If they were smart they would take the 4k loss and be done with it.

That's what I was thinking, too -- And that's a lot of worldwide bad publicity over $4K... They're doing 200X that in damage to their image.

Something tells me $59k is their "we don't lose any money" price... the sticker on these is closer to $70,000 or more in most areas. They're probably just hoping he'd compromise and take the price so they can just call it a wash. I'm sure a few people are already in a lot of hot water for listing it without a reserve, now if it causes the dealership a loss they're really screwed.

Without setting a reserve, the dealership doesn't have a leg to stand on legally.

*EDIT* Looks like the internets are putting the screws to the dealership and they are going to honor the winning bid. I don't know if that is a done deal yet though...

Have you met the average car salesman? :lolsmack:

My friend and I were looking at a used GT500 for him we went over to it and salesman said " yeah they've done a good job with these" the have the new corvette motor in them."

^ carmax salesman.

Apparently the dealer has now honored the agreement. (someone got fired)

I'm not sure if this dealership will ever be able to get its image back. Now almost every review site (yahoo, yelp, etc.) has been inundated with bad reviews, many from people that have never personally dealt with the dealer. The dealer's Facebook page was trolled so badly that they had to close the account. This story has been on many blog sites such as Autoblog and Jaloponik, and countless forums. Even Motor Trend Magazine got involved. This dealers reputation is ruined, all because they wanted to haggle over about $4000.

My guess is that it was listed no reserve to entice bidders and expecting it to sell for more than $55k and it backfired.

I bet if the tables were turned and the car sold for $90k they would be all over the winner for their money ASAP!

Archived