Customer Service 866.965.0400

So I machine polished my corian counter tops. (pics)

chrisguga

We bought our house about a year and a half ago and it was built in 1934, but was completely gutted and redone nicely 3 years ago. The counter tops were looking pretty dull and were pretty scratched up so I decided to try and spruce them up. I read online that you can wet sand and then machine polish them so I figured I'd give it a go.

I treated this much like I would treat a car, partially for the fun of it and partially to make sure I got the best results possible.

Washed it with Dawn to get it really clean:

IMG_7534.jpg

Clayed with Adam's clay and detail spray:

IMG_7535.jpg

Various IPA wipe downs during the process to check my progress:

IMG_7536.jpg

Brought in the halogens to make sure I can see exactly how much progress I'm making:

IMG_7540.jpg

I usually have some wine, beer, or a liquor drink while I detail my car so I figured it was only fitting:

IMG_7568.jpg

Used my tape to protect the back splash and get a nice 50/50.

IMG_7570.jpg

Some of the equipment:

IMG_7572.jpg

Soon realized I'd need to do a little wet sanding to get the defects to a satisfactory level. The guides online recommended starting at 180, but I chose to go 600, 1000, and then 2 stages of polishing with wool and 105 handled the polishing marks.

IMG_7575.jpg

And there were some marks left by the 1000 grit:

counter1-1.jpg

But I must say that after the wool, orange/orange and white/white, it came out pretty darn well. This is after an IPA wipe down with zero sealant, wax, detail spray, etc. I cleaned both sides of the tape with the wipe down, btw.

counter3.jpg

I then decided to try various types of protection so I masked off 4 areas.

Left to right, nothing, machine super sealant, Americana, buttery wax:

IMG_7586-1.jpg

All 4 squares looked the same except the Americana left smudges of wax that I couldn't get out except with an IPA wipe down so that wasn't the best choice for this application. All squares looked the same, but I'm going to use the super sealant applied with the grey pad once I finish the whole thing.

Example of Americana that couldn't be wiped off of the counter without IPA. It's the second square from the bottom:

counter2.jpg

Thanks for checking out the thread. This whole process took about 3 hours for this one area because I wet sanded, took pictures, and learned as I went along. I figure I can finish all the rest of it and around the corner towards the stove and oven in another 3-4 hours or so.

Pretty crazy difference, I would have never though to polish countertops!

I'm using my Adam's products more and more around the house. I went around a few days ago using Super VRT on whatever that even half resembled plastic and made it all look fantastic.

I think I'm going to try and polish the counter tops in the bathrooms next.

Interesting. I have Corian countertops as well and have noticed that they are beginning to look pretty dull. Never even thought for a second that I could polish them back up. I might have to give this a try this coming weekend...

I do too, hopefully my wife won't see this thread!;)

Awesome turn around!

Makes me wonder what I can do with my granite countertops. :) They are due for a sealing.

I remember Dylan mentioning that glass sealant works well for natural stone. Might give it a try and see what you get.

OP maybe give glass sealant a go against the MSS would be good also if you have some. If not, it's a perfect excuse to get some! :2thumbs:

I'm using my Adam's products more and more around the house. I went around a few days ago using Super VRT on whatever that even half resembled plastic and made it all look fantastic.

I think I'm going to try and polish the counter tops in the bathrooms next.

I use Revive Polish and Buttery Wax on our dining room table and coffee table with great results.

Wow. Nice job and thats very impressive. :thumbsup:

Did you finish the job though? I don't see the after pic. smiley-cool14-1.gif

Not yet. I worked a 12 hour day yesterday because one of the other therapists was on vacation so I was too tired to work on it. I hope to finish it up tonight.

I am thinking about buying some professional grade polishing compound and some cotton wheel buff pads and see what all metals around the house I can polish up. I'm thinking I'll try the sink first.

I am thinking about buying some professional grade polishing compound and some cotton wheel buff pads and see what all metals around the house I can polish up. I'm thinking I'll try the sink first.

Love this thread and finding other uses for the Adam's products and our detailing skills! :2thumbs:

I love the Adam's products and after learning how to polish and trying diffferent Adam's products around the house I am getting curious about finding other products to complement what Adam's has available. For instance - after seeing how well it works to clean the glass top stove (burnt on food and water stains) I want to try using the Cerama Bryte on the hard water stains on the shower doors. Seems like it is a more aggressive compound and leaves a smooth finish on the glass surface. If that turns out well I will then be willing to try it on a car window. :glasses:

Yeah, I absolutely love the Adam' products as well, but I do add on to my staples with other brand products when Adam's doesn't make a type of product. For instance, I had to buy a more aggressive product combo than severe swirl remover and the green pad and I intend to purchase a two stage metal polishing compound that is delivered in hot dog shaped logs. It's an actual abrasive and should be stronger than the Adam's metal polishes.

I will never stray from the products like super VRT, interior conditioner, Americana, detail spray, etc because they're the best I have used at what they do.

I had to break out the 180 grit tonight. I worked on the areas of the counter where we do cooking and food prep and it was much worse than that first area. I had to go over some areas 3-4 times with the 180 grit to get the finish perfect before moving on to the 600 and 1000. I'm saving the machine polishing for tomorrow night.

Hopefully I'll have updated pics of the finished project tomorrow night because the wife and I are headed up to Atlanta on Saturday for a friend's wedding and we probably won't be back until Monday night.

Ok, so using the 180 grit and hand sanding was really taking a long time and the dusting was ridiculous.

I decided to use the backing plate and 120 grit sanding paper that came with the Porter Cable. I bought mine from Lowes and it was marketed as a sander, but it's basically the same thing as a PC7424xp. I'm not sure if the 7424xp comes with the sand paper?

Anyway, this thing did some serious work on the counters and cut my sanding time from 1+ hours to 5 minutes. The dust cleanup took a little while, but it was well worth the hassle.

counter3-1.jpg

counter2-1.jpg

counter1-2.jpg

Archived