Customer Service 866.965.0400

Iron Cut type product: Snake Oil or worth development?

There's a product by Aquartz called Ironcut:

"........During the use of your vehicle, brake dust and road grime become sintered to the surface of the car paint, rims and wheels due to the high temperature conditions they are normally exposed. Brake dust contains high levels of iron and once sintered to the rim, becomes extremely difficult to dissolve or remove without the use of harsh chemicals.

Iron Cut opens up the paint's pores to release ferrous particles and to neutralize caustic compounds that have developed in the paint's subsurface. Ongoing damage is immediately stopped and future damage is prevented by removing the ferrous particles.

Iron Cut sprays on as a thick, transparent, as the cleansing liquid begins to work into the dirt and grime, the formula begins to turn purple/ red. The purple/red coloration is the Iron Cut Cleaner forming a bond to the sintered iron on the car paint and wheel and changing its state to a water soluble complex for easy removal. Stubborn, baked on grime may take a small amount of agitation. Rinse car paint and wheels thoroughly with a power washer and wipe dry."

So.....

Is it just snake Oil? Any value to it?

Most importantly, if it is valuable, is Adam's developing a competing product?

I'm just curious as I found it on an Adam's dealer website (detailersdomain) and I've seen several detailing writeups where the product is used.

It works.. but its VERY caustic that's why the warning about leaving it to dry. Its more beneficial I think for people like me who live in climates where they salt / brine the roads. I have a white vehicle and the rail dust spots are KILLER on it every spring. I can clay it off, but it takes 3-5 times longer and is just insane. Stuff works great, and cuts my clay down to normal time.

It works.. but its VERY caustic that's why the warning about leaving it to dry. Its more beneficial I think for people like me who live in climates where they salt / brine the roads. I have a white vehicle and the rail dust spots are KILLER on it every spring. I can clay it off, but it takes 3-5 times longer and is just insane. Stuff works great, and cuts my clay down to normal time.

My car 'grew up' in NJ and NY for the first 74kmiles, and now has only been down south for a few months. Of course being a dark color, it may be unnecessary anyway, but for us retentive perfectionists......

Honestly if you cant see the spots, then its a waste of time & money on your part imo. Like I said my SS is white, now the wifes blacks 6s will never see it used on it. Again just what I see it as and how I use it. I will post up some pics next time I give it a go as I need to do a pre winter prep next weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe Iron Cut or whatever the AQuartz company calls it is the rip off to Iron X developed by Avi. He started the business and products and the Korean company copied him and he has been fighting to clean it up since. Iron Cut may be caustic but Iron X is pH neutral. If Adam's does develop a similar product, I hope it works just as well as Iron X. Also, if Adam's develops a wheel cleaner that is similar Iron X or Sonax Full Effect, then I hope it works better than Griot's HD Wheel Cleaner.

I believe Iron Cut or whatever the AQuartz company calls it is the rip off to Iron X developed by Avi. He started the business and products and the Korean company copied him and he has been fighting to clean it up since. Iron Cut may be caustic but Iron X is pH neutral. If Adam's does develop a similar product, I hope it works just as well as Iron X. Also, if Adam's develops a wheel cleaner that is similar Iron X or Sonax Full Effect, then I hope it works better than Griot's HD Wheel Cleaner.

I use Iron Cut all the time, and have 2 bottles hanging from my cart now. It's PH neutral. After I used it the first time after claying....there was still plenty of contaminants left because the side of the car was purple. Is it necessary? IDK but I don't care, it makes me feel better. My car is white.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the problem here is - its mostly not necessary since a clay bar does the same thing. Only the clay bar will pick up all the contaminates in the paint that aren't metallic. Iron cut, sonax wheel cleaner, wolfs deironizer all work by breaking down metallics from brakes and rail dust. But they don't remove the dirt, sap, over spray ect.

That being said - they are cool products to use, it's amazing to watch the car change colors.. But in reality you still have to clay it anyways to get all the contaminates out of the paint so this product is essentially unnecessary 'extra step' and quite frankly is a waste of money in my opinion.

I tried iron x on my company vehicle.. While it looked like it removed 5 years of crap, I still had to clay it.

632c4553-e311-c9f7.jpg

Again, it's my belief it's not a 'need' for the Adams line. When a clay bar does the same thing and more, why use a product that does less? Function > Coolness

• 3 weeks later...

Im interested in what this stuff can do, too. Below is a pic of my car... it's an 85 MR2, and the spots are on the hood. It seems like they're under the clear. You can't feel them and going after them with a PC has zero effect. I also tried wet sanding with 2000 grit; no change. You look under the hood to see if there's any rust or imperfection below and see no signs of trouble. So, can this Iron Cut stuff get in there and help?

mr2_closeup.jpg

After seeing this in person in PA Rich, I'd say no... this is a product more for iron on the surface, won't do a thing to what you have, which appears to be under the surface somehow.

Darn, not the answer I was hoping for. But thanks for the reply. :help:

Cough Cough, MAKE A PRODUCT like this/ sonax full effect :thumbsup: i used iron cut on the mini (which is black and lives in the garage) and it i sure had a decent amount of contamination.

Would be nice in a perfect world indeed. idk ive used iron cut when my friend and i were working at the same time and i dont think it cut enough time off for me to make it worth it every time. That said I'm sure there is a time and place for it, also green wheel cleaner and sonax have put up a good fight with on another, i always like a nice competition against the two and it was hard to tell the difference.

I think the problem here is - its mostly not necessary since a clay bar does the same thing.

The real use for this stuff is on rims and other inaccessible locations. Otherwise, yes, it's a bit redundant, but then so is most of everything in the detailing world. Can Adams as a brand survive without a similar product? I would bet so.

Would be nice in a perfect world indeed. idk ive used iron cut when my friend and i were working at the same time and i dont think it cut enough time off for me to make it worth it every time. That said I'm sure there is a time and place for it, also green wheel cleaner and sonax have put up a good fight with on another, i always like a nice competition against the two and it was hard to tell the difference.

You obviously dont have an Audi/BMW to deal with on a weekly basis:jester:

The brake dust is INSANE, i use GWC on the Mini mostly because shes a garage queen and the rims are nice and sealed. My Dads Audi is a daily driver and gets washed on a weakly basis, by the time Saturday rolls around the dust is dam near caked on. It takes me one application of sonax very MINOR agitation and a pressure washer and the wheels are as good as new.

My moms Yukon and my workvan get an application of All Purpose cleaner as i found the brake dust on those two arnt as "irony" and sonax does little to anything to aid in the removal. GWC seems a tad weak for Nissan/Yukon dust but APC works very well on those.

Anyway, I digress. ;) Ive read on alot of different forums sonax can be used in place of iron cut and visa versa but i dont trust it. Who knows, i do know that after an application of Iron cut my clay doesnt feel "as gritty"

You obviously dont have an Audi/BMW to deal with on a weekly basis:jester:

The brake dust is INSANE, i use GWC on the Mini mostly because shes a garage queen and the rims are nice and sealed. My Dads Audi is a daily driver and gets washed on a weakly basis, by the time Saturday rolls around the dust is dam near caked on. It takes me one application of sonax very MINOR agitation and a pressure washer and the wheels are as good as new.

My moms Yukon and my workvan get an application of All Purpose cleaner as i found the brake dust on those two arnt as "irony" and sonax does little to anything to aid in the removal. GWC seems a tad weak for Nissan/Yukon dust but APC works very well on those.

Anyway, I digress. ;) Ive read on alot of different forums sonax can be used in place of iron cut and visa versa but i dont trust it. Who knows, i do know that after an application of Iron cut my clay doesnt feel "as gritty"

Your right :D I have a jeep srt8, that I fitted CTS-V pads on with my brembos :D not very much dust at all so i cannot share your unfortunate situation haha. I would like to have a product like that from Adams though, much rather pay more to have it here than go for another product not from the US, no doubt.

Im intrested in trying the Iron X, but I´m in Iceland and cant find it here. But I will be in the States in two weeks, so could you tell me where to buy it?

What part of the country will you be in Hilmar? Maybe you could order it online and have it delivered to where you will be staying?

Adam's dealer Phil at Detailer's Domain (http://www.detailersdomain.com/) carries some iron-remover products.

Your right :D I have a jeep srt8, that I fitted CTS-V pads on with my brembos :D not very much dust at all so i cannot share your unfortunate situation haha. I would like to have a product like that from Adams though, much rather pay more to have it here than go for another product not from the US, no doubt.

Your right, it is quite the unfortunate situation im in :jester: Im 99% sure ill be dumping the mini for either a new f32 BMW 335Ix with an M3 eater chip the day BMW releases it. Now that is going to be a really unfortunate situation come wash day :help:

I agree, There are enough of us non American (cars) petrol heads :uk: on here that im sure would welcome a Sonax/Iron cut from ADAM's. Perhaps They should do a research vote? :thumbsup: I would rather purchase it from you guys.

Your right, it is quite the unfortunate situation im in :jester: Im 99% sure ill be dumping the mini for either a new f32 BMW 335Ix with an M3 eater chip the day BMW releases it. Now that is going to be a really unfortunate situation come wash day :help:

I agree, There are enough of us non American (cars) petrol heads :uk: on here that im sure would welcome a Sonax/Iron cut from ADAM's. Perhaps They should do a research vote? :thumbsup: I would rather purchase it from you guys.

I had to unlike your post once I saw that you where getting a BMW:lolsmack::loser:

Archived