Customer Service 866.965.0400

Anyway to improve old, nasty plastic bumper?

TreeSemdyZee

Question

Hi all,

My neighbor has a '96 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera that I'm working on to improve my skills and make her car look nicer.

It has never had anything done to the paint, so it's pretty oxidized, but after a small amount of work, the paint metal is looking pretty good. Better than it was anyway, which is what I'm going for.

The real issue that I have is her front bumper which is losing clear coat and the paint is nasty. Is there anything I can do with this to improve it?

IMG_6780.jpg

12 answers to this question

That looks like clear coat failure polishing won't help much. With modern finishes you are really only working with the clear coat, not the paint. With no clear to work with there is not much you can do to improve that bumper. I would imagine that you will see some of the red transfer to your wash pad. I still have some green on my '2nd' wash pad from a friend's truck with CC failure - this is the WASH bucket!

Mitsubishi011.jpg

Please understand. I'm not trying to get this to showroom quality. I'm just trying to make the car look nicer for an elderly neighbor. The rest of the car is coming out nicely, I was just hoping to do a little to help the bumper.

Not gonna' happen.

That looks [way] beyond what anything a care care product can do .... OTC or professional/premium!

Needs to be repainted definitely :(. If you have a MAACO around where you live, its really cheap to get it repainted. Got my strip car fully repainted for like 400 so im sure a bumper wouldnt be hardly anything. My 2 cents if you decide to have it repainted :D

Archived