Customer Service 866.965.0400

Black Paint Frustrations

Kingsford

Question

So yesterday I decided to start buffing my new Colorado, It had swirl marks up the wazzoo, well it still does thats why I'm getting upset and frustrated... I've never had this much trouble buffing a vehicle.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves....

This first one is after I got upset and just started the process completely over.

I hit it with a yellow pad followed by an orange pad and this is what I got.... A **** ton of micro marring and HAZED sooooo hazed.

PhotoOct0122139PM.jpg

So I finished the process up with about 10 passes of FMP... Work the product till it flashed wiped clean... repeated this 10 times. Not 8 not 9 but 10 times. This is what I got.

PhotoOct0123038PM.jpg

It got rid of the haze but its still had micro marring.

Then I noticed this..... I worked this spot for 1 hour and it only got worse....

PhotoOct0124014PM.jpg

Finally I got so frustrated I just put some wax on it and gave up.

I dont know what the hell to do.

:help::help::help::help::help:

I've buffed black paint before and I've never EVER had it look like that after all the work. I've never had the Yellow or Orange Pad make haze like that ether. What is up with this!?!??!

I have used those 4" pads at speed 6 without issue. Just because it isn't necessarily recommended doesn't mean it doesn't work well.

Wool pads also aren't recommended around here but are AMAZING on a DA with a heavily swirled car! :)

The really only reason they aren't recommended is because these products were made for the novice detailer not a professional. However the products can be used at a professional level just depends on the user and their skill level.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

FWIW, I did my black Explorer Sport Trac a year or so back and got exactly the same results you had in the first pic after using the orange pad and SHR. I was ready to mail it in after that, but the FMP/White pad cleaned it up perfectly.

The only thing I can see that is different between us is that I used the larger pads only and the "slow cut" process where you go over it at 5, spritz a little detail spray on the pad, then go over it at 6. In no case did I spend an hour in one place, though. If anything, I probably cut the process short a little, but the end results were great! So good in fact that a dealer asked if the truck had just been repainted, and a friend who had been looking at the truck for months bought it the first day he saw it after this.

I don't have nearly the experience that others do on here, but thought I would comment since our 1st step results were identical.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Ford clear coat, GM clear coat = 2 different animals. Unsure what the millage is on the two.. I'd love to own a paint thickness gauge.

Do a search on gm paint. Since 2002 gm has had terrible paint. Since the bankruptcy it's only got worse. My 2010 Sierra had defects all over, luckily when I had it lettered it covered all the crap.

On another forum somebudies 2011 escalade looked like the paint was shot outside in the wind next to a gravel pit. On top of that his roof was delaminating. My buddies dads 2010 commaros trunk and side skirt was delaminating. And finally my moms 2002 Yukon is starting to de laminate on the doors and roof.

Sorry to say this but I've been to gm regarding the sierras paint the escalade guy is suing and my buddies dad went to gm and they do not warrAnt it. The say sorry and apologize but do NOTHInG to fix there mistakes.

Dark colors and metalics are gms worst paint. Something todo with the water based formula and primer. They also have since lessoned the thickness of clear coat for 2010+ models. Be very carefull polishing new gms.

Also what I was told is gm dealers are going through glazes by the gallons to help hide the imperfections. I was told to do a ipa wipe of the vehicle before taking delivery of it (my lemon law lawyer told me this if I was going to purchase another GM yahhhh right, like I'm going todo that lol. But it's GTK)

Knowing that your new vehicle is a 2011 and gms coats are so thin it is very plausible that you did go right through the CC. Do you know anyone with a paint meter?

Good luck man, since you know the dealer maybe yo will get lucky and respray your truck but from my experience and others gm doesnt care.

Well I calmed down a little today and moved to a different panel and did a test spot. Heres what happened....

New Pads:

925936b9.jpg

Before:

d240fdb0.jpg

Before (Taped Off Test Spot):

197ccfd8.jpg

After Orange & White Pad (About 20 minutes of work):

cb975cd7.jpg

After (Not 100% but better):

a8bc5a7d.jpg

Looked every where (including the new Reference Guide Dylan just put up on the forum) and this is the first time I've heard this.

Um.... 30 seconds in... :hi:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cdPKQ_BjJkw?rel=0&hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Um....

Yep. Didn't see it till I was told about it. I forgot about the Vol 7. I popped in my Vol 6. DVD and went through it and couldn't really find anything about the Focus Pads on the PC. Also went through the Reference Sheet.

Well I calmed down a little today and moved to a different panel and did a test spot. Heres what happened....

New Pads:

925936b9.jpg

Before:

d240fdb0.jpg

Before (Taped Off Test Spot):

197ccfd8.jpg

After Orange & White Pad (About 20 minutes of work):

cb975cd7.jpg

After (Not 100% but better):

a8bc5a7d.jpg

Looks good. Just be patient.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I have used those 4" pads at speed 6 without issue. Just because it isn't necessarily recommended doesn't mean it doesn't work well.

Wool pads also aren't recommended around here but are AMAZING on a DA with a heavily swirled car! :)

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Hard to see the first set of pics, grainy. I just posted vids of me doing my new Camaro - BLACK - I feel your pain. I was having some hazing and pad markings - Halogram'ing. Mine was only haze from the pad residue. I only used the 4" over scratches I needed to fine tune and never pulled the trigger full throttle on y 18v Makita drill. I DO NOT use the 4" pads on the PC, don't like it. Big machine, little pads, plastic-ish parts between the machine and my paint - too many horror stories. I also like to forced rotation aspect of the drill. Gets those tough marks out fast, only light pressure, single maybe two passes and it's gone.

surely you could polish with the large pads.. ? no? I used them on mine and the Camaro is cut up with alot of those little edges like the Colorado has.

I'll be watching this thread closely.

Looking good. Black paint will try your patience, oh yeah. I am getting so that I am really loving the FMP - it really clears up the reflections a lot. Maybe you might try another FMP pass (large white pad) on that taped off area and see if it makes a difference.

Plus, if you are not sure what the dealership has put on the paint, give it an IPA 50/50 wipedown - I think that helps speed up the results too (remove old sealant, wax, etc). If I am doing just one panel, I do the IPA 50/50 wipedown and it helps.

You are well on the way! Much better than my first time on black paint.

You just bought this black beauty and you're already frustrated? Wait till winter... lol

Looks like you're figuring it out. IMO, you haven't corrected until you've corrected a very dark color like black. lol

Chris

Gotta love black. Truly a love/hate relationship. I have to agree that you really haven't corrected until you correct black.

I'll tell you what though, nothing is more satisfying that seeing a black car completely done being detailed. That feeling the next day after walking into the garage seeing the hours you just finished putting into it while your hand is numb is just awesome.

Archived