Customer Service 866.965.0400

Motor oil and asphalt....

Grubrunner

.... don't really mix.

We have a driveway that's about four years old. Have had it sealed regularly since it was re-surfaced [added a 4" layer] back in spring of '07. Just had a seal performed at the begining of last month.

Recently had a family friend stay over night while he was driving to Florida. Noticed the next morning that his car was leaking a decent amount of engine oil and now I have a good size patch embeded into my driveway.

I've never experienced this before.

Anybody have any home remedies or products that they have tried that have successfully removed the oil stains on asphalt? I tried some dish detergent with a hard scrub brush followed by a thorough rinse, but made next to no difference. Just for chits-n-giggles tried Adams Car Wash too, but nada.

I have "soaked" up all the surface oil with a terry cloth but still have the patches visible due to settling.

Wife could care less but it's bugging the crap out of me.

I'd rather get "family" recommendations, than buy a product at the box stores blindly.

Thank you.

I used some of this on my driveway when my S-I-L stayed over and dripped oil all over.

Clean Oil Stain, Driveway Oil Stain, Concrete Oil Stain Removal, Cleaning Oil Stain

I picked it up at Home Depot with a large amount of skepticism, well it actually worked so I have kept a bottle of it in the garage at home for use after family get together's. Been a while since I bought it but it should still be readily available.

I used to work in the environmental business cleaning up oil spills so I might be able to guide you a bit. Did u try scrubbing oil dry on to the spot first? By scrubbing i mean like grinding it Into the pavement with your foot Once u get most of it absorbed sweep it up and I'd use some simple green or APC for that matter pre treat it for a bit then powerwash. If the stain is still there you may have to re seal coat the driveway. You could still end up with the stain bleeding thru the sealcoat depending on the severity. Post up some pics and I'll steer you in the right direction.

Sal

We have always used brake cleaner when spilling oil on our driveway. Now keep in mind that we have both concrete and asphalt and this is over the concrete area though. Brake cleaner is some pretty tough stuff so it might not work too well on the asphalt. Just wanted to throw out there what we use.

Mato is correct... many of you are suggesting solutions to remove oil from concrete, not asphalt. Theres a complication with this b/c being that asphalt is composed largely of tar (which is just unrefined oil) a lot of the things that will 'remove' oil stains will also damage the asphalt sealer.

I've had some success using granulated laundry detergent removing oil stains on the street in front of my house... give that a shot. Its mild and fairly effective. Sprinkle on, wet, scrub with a broom or stiff brush, rinse, repeat.

I've had some success using granulated laundry detergent removing oil stains on the street in front of my house... give that a shot. Its mild and fairly effective. Sprinkle on, wet, scrub with a broom or stiff brush, rinse, repeat.

I agree with Dylan...What I have used in the past on small stains.

*Third attempt at a reply in two days*

Spoke with my asphalt guy yesterday morning and he guided me in the right direction.

He has used ACT Asphalt Cleaner [HERE] for some time now and has never had an oil stain on asphalt he has yet to not been able to remove. He has used it on asphalt driveways that have had motor oil spills embeded for years and this stuff removes it no problem. He said the area will, nine time out of ten, have to be re-sealed as the cleaner will most probably discolor the asphalt but it will remove the motor oil "stain" for good.

He is dropping some byto me this weekend so I'll be sure to try it and post a feedback here.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

Archived