Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ran Over Paint Can

GTOwned

Question

My coworker recently ran over a can of house paint and now the bottom of her car is white. She wants me to see what I can do. I only want to get rid of the white paint that is visible on the lower half of her car. I can peel of large chunks of the paint but there are some spots that will not come off. I have a few ideas on how to fix this up but I would like to know what everyone thinks I should do. I want to minimize the damage to her paint as much as possible (even though it is a soccer mom's Camry). Thanks in advance.

12 answers to this question

I would try 3m Adhesive Remover, spray down real good let soak for a bit, you may need to use a plastic scraper. Once you get the worst off I would clay and don't forget to re wax, with Americana or Buttery!

Report back and let us know how you did!:thumbsup:

Adam's Detailing Clay Bar

Adam's Americana Premium Carnauba Paste Car Wax

I haven't had to remove house paint from the car but did clean house paint from the bathtub this past weekend.

The APC did a great job of softening the house paint speckles that had been on the tub for 3 or more years. The tub surface felt like it was "sanded". After some straight APC, a few minutes of soaking, gently rubbing and 2 or 3 applications - more than 90% of the paint was gone and then the clay removed the remaining paint. It is like a new tub.

Of course the amount of paint tackled is nothing like the amount you are facing, but was very happy with how well the APC did at softening the old dried on paint.

Let us know how it goes! :lurk:

First thing she should have done was to hose it off or take it through a car wash with an undercarriage spray to get rid of as much fresh wet stuff as possible.

Have to agree about the All Purpose Cleaner. I've had similar results getting paint off countertops when we painted..........and missed. The stuff does everything.

acetone is like a paint thinner, except it won't damage the clear coat on the car.

this is a trick i learned from a buddy that owned a F150, he wanted the emblem on the fenders and tailgate to be all chrome instead of black and chrome.

you got your options that everyone else has listed above. start by peeling as much off as possible, then use a pressure washer to get more off, then try APC or acetone if you already have one of those, then finally the clay bar

I'm assuming it is dry now and you have peeled off what you can. I would just rattle can some satin black under there and be done. On regular vehicles I think inner fenderwells look more finished in satin black than body color anyhow.

Bruce

acetone is like a paint thinner, except it won't damage the clear coat on the car.

this is a trick i learned from a buddy that owned a F150, he wanted the emblem on the fenders and tailgate to be all chrome instead of black and chrome.

you got your options that everyone else has listed above. start by peeling as much off as possible, then use a pressure washer to get more off, then try APC or acetone if you already have one of those, then finally the clay bar

Yup, acetone or lacquer thinner would take that off. Might take some scrubbing though.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

If it's latex, it won't stick to anything coated with an oil base or lacquer base. Most latex paints will separate fairly easily from sealed surfaces like clear coats, provided the car was taken care of and waxed.

GoofOff is Xylene and Denatured Alcohol, I'd be leery of that stuff or any other chemical on auto paint, maybe call an auto-body supply place and see what they suggest.

Archived