Customer Service 866.965.0400

Why USPS is Broke....

Kingsford

I ordered a shirt for my dad's birthday. It was sent from Elk Grove Village IL to Kankakee IL.....

People wonder why USPS is going under. Cause they waste money left and right. It was marked return to sender because it was short $0.05 on postage.

Well instead of just returning it when it was in Elk Grove it wen all the way to Champaign, PAST KANKAKEE, then back to Elk Grove. FAIL!

My proof....

PostOffice.png

NOTE: The red dot is the destination, the route on the map is the route the package traveled TWICE....

USPSMap.png

It does seem silly, but it is based on distribution centers, which process the mail more efficiently. The same thing happens when I send something to my parents. - the truck goes past where they live and then is sent half way back.

An amusing story about that. Many years ago my dad was on a business trip in PA. His boss asked him to send him several post cards from the towns in the Amish area - Blue Ball, Intercourse, etc. All the postcards came back post marked from the Central PA Mail Center (or something similar):D

:mad:Our tax $$$ at work, or dare I say, waste?

I get mail delivered 6 days a week. I throw 90% of it out with out opening it. When it does go under the Pension Guarantee Trust ( think our tax dollars) will bail out yet another horrible contract.

I just had a similar experience. Needed to send a certified letter so I went to the local post office. The destination was less than 2 miles away from the sending office. The letter was then routed 20 miles away before being turned around and being delivered to the destination. A complete and utter waste of time and resources.

:mad:Our tax $$$ at work, or dare I say, waste?

The USPS does not receive direct subsidies from the Federal government however get mandates from the government on how to operate -- sometimes inefficiently such as bypass mail in Alaska, inability to close unprofitable post offices, etc. They do have challenges: Congress, postal unions, management -- that control their behavior.

I feel your pain.

Here is a good one for you. A few years ago my Dad bought me an annual National Parks Pass. He could only have it sent to the billing address, his house. It went from the Denver Federal Center to Detroit where he recieved it. Then he sent it back to me in Colorado Springs. Where did it originate? 200 feet down the hall from where I worked at the Fed Center. In the SAME BUILDING I worked in. The guy that processed it was someone I spoke to daily. That was a waste of a lot of time and money.

yep, not a fan of any of the shipping companies. FedEx is probably still the best, but thats not saying much.

the USPS person that delivers to my apartment will go put mail in the mailbox 50 feet from my door step, drive past my porch, and drop the package off at the leasing office 300 yards away.

FedEx does the same thing. I've had Adams orders that track to Buffalo then go from Buffalo to Pennsylvania before coming to Rochester. I'm just under an hour east of Buffalo but it travels Denver to Kentucky to Ohio to Buffalo to Pennsylvania to Rochester. :(

I just had a similar experience. Needed to send a certified letter so I went to the local post office. The destination was less than 2 miles away from the sending office. The letter was then routed 20 miles away before being turned around and being delivered to the destination. A complete and utter waste of time and resources.

It's unlikely they wasted more than they would have wasted sending yours and what likely were very few other letters via courier down the street, in a vehicle suitable for certificated and/or registered mail, as compared to dumping them all in a big rolling bin, putting them in the back of a semi where 99% of the letters were going elsewhere, distribution facility sorts them, then another semi brings yours and any other letters destined for that post office to it.

I'm all for not wasting resources, but it's very unlikely this was as egregious a waste as you make it sound.

Saturday delivery has to be the largest waste of postal resources; I rarely even check the mail on Saturday, and if I do, it's rarely anything but junk, and those junk mailers would have paid the same rate whether it was delivered Saturday or Monday.

As one post said, this is about logistics. Doing the most direct route isn't the cheapest.

Delivering a dozen pieces of mail direct from one location to another on a dedicated vehicle isn't near as efficient as delivering tens of thousands of pieces between major distribution centers and then distributing from there.

Just think of the airlines. We don't have direct flights between all cities. In order to have efficiency we have to have large enough volumes between cities to justify the dedicated expense. If there isn't a large enough volume then we end up running through hubs and making multiple stops. This is cheaper for the airlines and more efficient, despite having to go hundreds of miles out of the way. (of course there are also regulatory hurdles and issues of capacity at airports for flights, but the concept is still valid)

I am still amazed at the simplicity of our postal service. I don't have to figure out what zone my letter is coming from and going to, I just put a flat rate stamp on it and they get it there, for what I feel is a very cheap price. I sure wouldn't deliver a letter across town, much less across the country, for less than 50 cents. This simplicity is very un-government like.

Archived