Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need help with cleaning rims

Cpwest

Question

My uncle got new rims and said he would split his old rims 50/50 with me. These things were probably touched once since he originally put them on atleast 4 years ago. I need ideas on how to get all this crap off. $300 a piece new and you think he woulda atleast washed them once in a while. The is a half inch of brake dust (exaggeration) and chips of chrome coming off, rust spots. These things are already scratched well past the point of no return. What can i use to help remove all this crap? I have ordered metal polish 1&2, another gallon of APC. What else should i get? Will steel wool work? Any ideas would be great as i am a beginner.

IMAG0197.jpg

IMAG0198.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0203.jpg

17 answers to this question

i came on here to look for answers to clean these wheels up a bit, not get questioned about why someone would buy these. My uncle asked me for selling them and being the nice guy i am i said sure. But i guess i cant ask how to clean up some trashed rims without having people wasting my time, so thanks and if you dont have any productive advice for me please dont post in my thread.

Exactly, they're trashed, there's not much you can do for them. The extreme rust, pitting, and peeling is not going anywhere. The scratches on the lip are very bad as well(as you mentioned). So, there's not much you can do other than use All Purpose Cleaner to knock off the surface soil. Sorry if I offended you, I just don't see any point putting in a lot of effort to clean them.

This looks like a great opportunity for you to learn and try different techniques to try to "save" the wheels. Of course with the chrome plating flaking off you won't be able to save that but if I were you I would have fun with the polishes and the 000 and 0000 steel wool to learn how much you save on a wheel and the scratches. Obviously you don't really have much to lose except for a few bucks for the product and a little time but have alot of upside in your personal experience as a detailer. :2thumbs:

In terms of your biggest financial return on this... IMO that big return is your personal learning and getting to experiment and try different techniques knowing you can't really make things worse, you aren't risking trashing a nice set of wheels!

Have fun and let us know what you learn and how it turns out! :cheers:

:iagree:

Great time to practice!! Your gonna spend a ton of time on them but you will learn a lot!!!

Scrub them down and Plasti-dip them. $6/per can, probably take 1 can per wheel to hide most of the imperfections.

That's what I'd do if you really want to try and sell them.

Don't know if this would be what others would do, but it sounds like a good idea to me.

This looks like a great opportunity for you to learn and try different techniques to try to "save" the wheels. Of course with the chrome plating flaking off you won't be able to save that but if I were you I would have fun with the polishes and the 000 and 0000 steel wool to learn how much you save on a wheel and the scratches. Obviously you don't really have much to lose except for a few bucks for the product and a little time but have alot of upside in your personal experience as a detailer. :2thumbs:

In terms of your biggest financial return on this... IMO that big return is your personal learning and getting to experiment and try different techniques knowing you can't really make things worse, you aren't risking trashing a nice set of wheels!

Have fun and let us know what you learn and how it turns out! :cheers:

Lets keep it civil please.

OP... those are beyond saving as the others mentioned, even if you do get the dirt off it looks like the chrome plate is peeling away in some sections so they're really a lost cause.

I'd say hit them with a pressure washer, scrub and be done... anything beyond that probably won't be worth the effort as you'll just be peeling chrome off and exposing the bare wheel.

I am in agreement with the others, sandblasting and powdercoating if you want to save them . And they look like cool rims too. (thanks for posting the pick BTW, it was very helpful) Otherwise, take them to the recycling center, you might get a few bucks for the raw metals.

i came on here to look for answers to clean these wheels up a bit, not get questioned about why someone would buy these. My uncle asked me for selling them and being the nice guy i am i said sure. But i guess i cant ask how to clean up some trashed rims without having people wasting my time, so thanks and if you dont have any productive advice for me please dont post in my thread.

As has been said there is nothing that can be done for them.

You could polish them until your fingers go numb but the chips and peeling will remain. As someone above said it would be worth while to get them sandblasted and powdercoated if you want to make some money off of them.

sand blast and get them powder coated. wheels are way to pasted to be saved as chorme

:iagree:

im selling them and will not doing anything more than clean them up as much as i can

I don't think anyone will buy those in the condition there in, even if you try to shine them up as best as possible. Personally for $150-$200 you can get them sand blasted and powdercoated and keep them...if not...try to flip them....after theyre refinished you could probably sell them for $5-600

Archived