Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dusting off My Car

texn884

Question

Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone uses to dust off your car or truck when it is just sitting in the garage?

I have used my older California Duster and seems like it is putting scratches :help:in my Black paint. I have cleaned the duster in a bucket of water and wow the dirt.

Any suggestions?

My truck that is not my DD, stays in a back garage in an alley and does get dusty… When I pull it out, first thing I do is grab the leaf blower, and blow it off.. I do this if I am going to wash it or if I am going to use WCW or DS… I have just always dusted it with the blower, thinking it will blow off any bigger dust particles and makes it cleaner before I start. It is just fast and easy for me..

I do that when the car is too dirty to wipe on.

My truck that is not my DD, stays in a back garage in an alley and does get dusty… When I pull it out, first thing I do is grab the leaf blower, and blow it off.. I do this if I am going to wash it or if I am going to use WCW or DS… I have just always dusted it with the blower, thinking it will blow off any bigger dust particles and makes it cleaner before I start. It is just fast and easy for me..

The Cali Duster is very good for our business, unfortunately.... We sell 3X the Severe Swirl Remover to the people who use them.

Dragging dry dirt over the finish is very likely to scratch, except if you use it on a finish with 2-3 coats of Americana Paste Wax, which will prevent scratching, but not eliminate it.

:)

Maybe that's why I can't see scratches. I have between 4 and 6 coats of Americana on my car at any given time. My favorite relaxation therapy is smelling the eucalyptus! :rockon:

The Cali Duster is very good for our business, unfortunately.... We sell 3X the Severe Swirl Remover to the people who use them.

Dragging dry dirt over the finish is very likely to scratch, except if you use it on a finish with 2-3 coats of Americana Paste Wax, which will prevent scratching, but not eliminate it.

:cheers:

He can private message the info to you Taz. But I've seen them at AutoZone and Advance.

For that matter, I've seen them at Lowes in their aisles that carry cleaning products. People use them for dusting ceiling fans.

I'd put my paint up against anyone's with the way I use the duster. Anyone's, and I don't hide in the shade or away from any light source. By the way, I never wash my duster as that will remove the wax from the duster and make it useless. I'll throw it away and get another one first.

You hear me OP?

I wondered when you'd show up in this thread.

Cali Dusters FTW! :bow:

How about Junkmans use of the duster? This is what I have been doing before water less. I must admit that I wash most of the time and seldom use the waterless to clean. Dylan is correct about it can be to dusty and needs wash.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/junkmans-corner/4923.htm

I'd put my paint up against anyone's with the way I use the duster. Anyone's, and I don't hide in the shade or away from any light source. By the way, I never wash my duster as that will remove the wax from the duster and make it useless. I'll throw it away and get another one first.

You hear me OP?

I have a cover that I throw over the car to keep the dust off and avoid that very problem. All it is is two fleece/microfiber sheets sewn together with a hole cut out for the antenna. Soft, won't scratch, and if you fold and unfold it the same way every time, the dusty part always stays on top. And when I wash my car, I throw the cover into the washer at the same time. Simple fix with no work.

I stopped using my California Duster for the same reason. Every time i used it it left minor scratches in my black truck.

I just used WCW this weekend for the first time, and I was very impressed. I sprayed my truck off at a car wash, it removed all the dirt but not all the film and road grime came off so I did a full WCW and it came out great.

Waterless Wash, if used correctly, is the way to go.

The running joke among most detailers is that they love the california duster - its the #1 source of new business for paint correction :D

With the waterless the key is to use it to keep the dust down to begin with... once the car starts to get really dusty you're beyond the scope of waterless and moving into territory where a full hose and bucket wash become necessary.

How I use it -

Supplies:

• 36oz Waterless Wash
  • 4-6 Waterless Towels

Process:

• Saturate the panel to be cleaned, all dust particles need to be 'wet' with product for the cleaners, emulsifiers, & lubricants to work properly.
  • Fold the first towel over into 4ths
  • Wipe from one end of the panel to the other in a straight line. No circles, no back/forth.
  • Rotate the towel to a fresh side and repeat, do not worry about streaks at this point, you just want the dust off the finish.
  • Repeat the process until the entire section is dust free.
  • Spray a light, (1 pump) misting of WW onto the area and use a fresh towel to gently wipe away any streaks.
  • Repeat the entire process on the car panel by panel
  • Complete the upper 2/3rds of the car first, followed by the lower sections.
  • Follow with Detail Spray and a plush towel if you'd like to kick the shine up a little.

I do this demo at the start of every clinic to show people the right way to use a waterless product... its no good to you if your process isn't perfect. Perhaps its time to shoot a vid.

Archived