Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best Hose for Washing Car

irunnoft

Question

After checking to see if your Pressure Regulator Value is working correctly you may want to check the flow volume on your water meter. Here where I live the old sections of town with the old meters have a 3/4" meter flow instead of a 1/2" meter flow like the new sections and new meters.

Russel, where is the pressure regulator usually located?

It varies by where you live so take the below info knowing that.

Usually they are located near where the water line enters the house. If you are on a basement it'll usually be in the basement near where the line comes through the foundation wall. If you are on a slab it is usually in a box (in the ground) just outside the house, most likely near the front hose pipe connection. Also on a slab it will sometimes be in the garage near the water heater (in most modern homes).

In some municipalities it can be near the water meter, even on the street side of the meter (rarely since this makes it the water companies responsibility)

In warm climates it can even be in your attic.

It looks like the photo below, although it might not look exactly like this one but in my area this is the most popular style.

The screw on the top is used to adjust the pressure. The brass nut at the bottom of the screw is a lock nut, just loosen it and then adjust the screw. Screwing it in will increase the pressure and out will lower the pressure. If the unit is clogged with sediment and causing low volume (resulting in low pressure) then adjusting the screw will not help, but if it's set too low then adjusting the pressure up can help.

The unit is set from the factory around 50psi (where we usually leave it), and is adjustable from 25psi to 75psi so your not going to hurt anything by turning the screw. You can pick up a pressure gauge at any home improvement store that screws onto your back hose connection. Don't use the hose connection on the front of the house since these are usually installed before the PRV and will not give you the reading of the pressure in the house.

HMZgtNcjuBH-NMcusRvJUUS4T0V8vUtyWgTGId5fcEl1teNxmUPFwPrLIdGO2QRStMVF0j7SkNe6GX-6hgP5611v6z_W6vw6kR72Z8wYQ3aaz5qftEsaOHigBcTk8UsDaPkO06KzGh-jLBKn6r3c4sL43vDNUlJmdxXFhfX3QA

Hope this helps.

Russell

You may want to look at Sears, not sure where their Craftsman hoses are made but they are guaranteed for life just like their tools. They have nice fittings on the ends as well.

Calvin

I didn't know they were guaranteed like the tools. I have a craftsman hose that leaks at the fitting. I'll be seeing about a swap out.

Be sure to get the largest diameter hose you can, 5/8" minimum, preferably a 3/4".

Just my .02 but in regards to which hose - that would be your choice. I just wanted to mention that when you get one or more, make sure they are "kink" free. Nothing worse than trying to get kinks out of a hose. Once they start doing that, they seem to just get worse. I speak from experience from many years of wasting my money and time. I felt really good when I ran over a kinked hose with my riding lawn mower until I had to replace two blades and buy a new belt.

Usually they are located near where the water line enters the house. If you are on a basement it'll usually be in the basement near where the line comes through the foundation wall. If you are on a slab it is usually in a box (in the ground) just outside the house, most likely near the front hose pipe connection. Also on a slab it will sometimes be in the garage near the water heater (in most modern homes).

In some municipalities it can be near the water meter, even on the street side of the meter (rarely since this makes it the water companies responsibility)

It looks like the photo below, although it might not look exactly like this one but in my area this is the most popular style.

The screw on the top is used to adjust the pressure. The brass nut at the bottom of the screw is a lock nut, just loosen it and then adjust the screw. Screwing it in will increase the pressure and out will lower the pressure. If the unit is clogged with sediment and causing low volume (resulting in low pressure) then adjusting the screw will not help, but if it's set too low then adjusting the pressure up can help.

The unit is set from the factory around 50psi (where we usually leave it), and is adjustable from 25psi to 75psi so your not going to hurt anything by turning the screw. You can pick up a pressure gauge at any home improvement store that screws onto your back hose connection. Don't use the hose connection on the front of the house since these are usually installed before the PRV and will not give you the reading of the pressure in the house.

HMZgtNcjuBH-NMcusRvJUUS4T0V8vUtyWgTGId5fcEl1teNxmUPFwPrLIdGO2QRStMVF0j7SkNe6GX-6hgP5611v6z_W6vw6kR72Z8wYQ3aaz5qftEsaOHigBcTk8UsDaPkO06KzGh-jLBKn6r3c4sL43vDNUlJmdxXFhfX3QA

Hope this helps.

Russell

Cool Russel, thanks for the info. I think mine is under a plate in the driveway, but I'll check tomorrow. I don't have any issues, but this is definately good info to know.

A bad or clogged pressure regulator can cause low pressure. You may want to have it checked. We replace about a dozen a week. It's usually a volume problem and not pressure. You can have 100 psi but it'll go to nothing if you have a clogged water line or a bad PRV.

I need a new hose also, mine is old and kinks easy. I'm looking at one of the black goodyear hoses myself.

Russel, where is the pressure regulator usually located?

Hope this helps.

Russell

Not to sure what your Cities or County laws are pertaining to adjusting this valve. However, the City I live in, in Oregon, slapped a pretty hefty fine on me about ten years ago for raising my water pressure. The valve was located off of my property and the County found out due to a neighbor turning me in, claiming I had lowered her water pressure. Just something one might consider before attempting this.

Not to sure what your Cities or County laws are pertaining to adjusting this valve. However, the City I live in, in Oregon, slapped a pretty hefty fine on me about ten years ago for raising my water pressure. The valve was located off of my property and the County found out due to a neighbor turning me in, claiming I had lowered her water pressure. Just something one might consider before attempting this.

If the pressure regulator is located on the incoming side of the water meter it usually belongs to the water company/city/water board etc. and you usually should not mess with this regulator. Call your water company and have them check the unit. And all the information I provided was dependent on where you live, local codes and regulations vary a lot from city to city in the same county, and even more across the country.

And on top of that, your neighbor is a poot! I see no way you would effect her pressure unless you share a PRV.

Ahhh, the power of the search window. I wanted to see if you guys have expressed your opinions on which hoses are the best to use. I have the black Goodyear hoses, and I see most of you have the same.

I find that no matter what hose I use, my cars still get just as clean.

I use a rubber hose in the cooler months and a no kink vinyl in the warmer months. Both have billet brass fittings and I believe both were made in the USA.

I thought I had very low water pressure in my house. I didn't. It was just a water volume problem for the outside faucets. I was looking one day and noticed I have 3/4" water pipes for all the inside plumbing. But.....the builder apparently tried to save some money by running 1/2" pipe to the outside faucets. Therefore, the water volume was low.

I had a plumber install 3/4" pipe and a new higher flow faucet next to the existing faucet. It is amazing how much water I flow now. It is much better than in the past. The only downside is the new faucet is not freeze proof so I have to drain the faucet in the winter. I still have the old faucet that I can use when the new faucet is shut off.

...the builder apparently tried to save some money by running 1/2" pipe to the outside faucets. Therefore, the water volume was low.

The typical house usually has 3/4-in water feeds then 1/2-in branches to each water fixture (any faucets, washers, etc) but these can be inefficiently done. A 1/2-in line can provide plenty of water/pressure (but not enough for an enthusiast) plus there can be other pressure reducers like whole house filters and excessive numbers of elbows.

Also, for whatever reason, I don't seem to have the greatest water pressure at my house. I'm going to have the city look into installing something to raise/boost our pressure, but I'd also like to know if anybody has the fire hose nozzle attachment and uses it with low water pressure. I'm considering buying it, but in reality, I can probably pee with more force than the water that comes out of my hose!

:jawdrop::lol:

a quick search of "garden hose" and you will find quite a few threads on this subject.

the best ones out there are of course rubber hoses, and of course made in the USA.

and to finally answer your question. look for a Goodyear Commercial Premium Rubber Garden Hose, Swan Premium Rubber Hose or a Gilmour Flexogen. i know the goodyear and gilmour hoses are sold at Home Depot, not sure about the other stores

i have low water pressure at my place. right now i use a cheap $10 nozzle which works good.... but the fire hose nozzle was on my christmas list so hopefully i get it this weekend. i took all next week off from work so you know what i'll be doing!

i seriously doubt the city will do much to boost your pressure unless they find a leak somewhere

Archived