Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do I get tape off window tint

billawd

Question

I have a friend that has tape on the back window that is tinted. I am not sure if I can get it off with out messing up his tint.

I was thinking a little ww and a utility mf. Any thoughts

Thanks bill

9 answers to this question

I wouldn't use clay on tint due to the fine abrasives in it and I would'nt use APC as it's just too strong.

I'd try a citrus cleaner like Goo Gone on a glass cloth and don't get it along an edge of the film or you may remove the adhesive from the tint. Lay (or hold) the dampened cloth on the residue and leave it there for a bit to soften the tape adhesive. The less you have to rub the less chance you'll scratch the tint film.

If the tape adhesive has been there long enough to dry out, it may be near impossible to remove it without damaging the tint.

I wouldn't use clay on tint due to the fine abrasives in it and I would'nt use APC as it's just too strong.

I'd try a citrus cleaner like Goo Gone on a glass cloth and don't get it along an edge of the film or you may remove the adhesive from the tint. Lay (or hold) the dampened cloth on the residue and leave it there for a bit to soften the tape adhesive. The less you have to rub the less chance you'll scratch the tint film.

If the tape adhesive has been there long enough to dry out, it may be near impossible to remove it without damaging the tint.

:iagree: Goo Gone!

I would not use anything with alcohol or amonia (no Windex). Personally I would start with DS and clay, very very lightly. perhaps some 50/50 APC and water with an old piece of clay.

actually i think alchohol is fine. I get my cars done with 3M tint and they "water mark it" for authenticity. rather then making a trip back to the installer i asked him how to take it of and he said just use 70% IPA.

What type of tint does he have? im sure the cheaper ones would be more susceptible to it. You could also tell him to call his installer and ask.

Archived