Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best Halogen work light/swirl finder?

mattpiper

Question

I've been looking to purchase a decent high-wattage light to help in locating swirls, but it seems every halogen work light I can find is TERRIBLY reviewed. I cannot find any work light from any source that has even 3 out of 5 stars. Most have just one star.

What lights are you folks using, and where did you get them? Moreover, would you purchase the light again if you had the choice?

Many thanks.

24 answers to this question

I have a fenix flashlight I use for work. The TK-15. It is one bad a** flashlight!! It puts out some serious light. But for working on my car I would rather have a set of plug in lights. I think the home depot option is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I was at an outdoor recreation store today to pick up some detailed back country maps and stumbled upon these. Don't let the size fool you, they throw out some serious light. I thought they would be perfect for a "swirl finder". You can find them on Amazon it looks like. But here is a link to the manufacturer themselves. The below links appear to be the same, but each one has different information that I thought some may find useful.

Fenix's homepages

Fenix's homepages

I was actually interested in a headlamp like on the fenix light website.

Anyone have any experience using headlamps as a means of a swirl finder light?

would there be any reasons not to use a headlamp for a swirl finder light?

i dont have the money at te moment to get one of those dual halogen lights so i was looking for a heaper option. Maybe the brinkman or a headlamp from fenix

So I was at an outdoor recreation store today to pick up some detailed back country maps and stumbled upon these. Don't let the size fool you, they throw out some serious light. I thought they would be perfect for a "swirl finder". You can find them on Amazon it looks like. But here is a link to the manufacturer themselves. The below links appear to be the same, but each one has different information that I thought some may find useful.

Fenix's homepages

Fenix's homepages

dual 500 watt floor lamps work great, believe 500 watts and above is the recommended.. I have two from Homedepot, where cheap and work perfect. Brinkmann handheld is a great accessory too, even though it made me hate my black paint :D haha

One thing that really helps too is having a white garage or area your working in, lots of people miss that, working in an area with dark paint or things around doesnt help at all.

I might have man....my second one only last what I consider a short time when I have both lights activated. Seems like about 20 minutes. Do you know if the red light that illuminates when it charges is supposed to change colors? Mine is always red.

Maybe they have changed the QC, IDK.

Sorry to threadjack.

I have never seen the charging light change colors. I plug charger into a timer so it does not over charge.

Also, I do not keep the Brinkman on all the time, just to check the work or to take pictures. I use the dual halogens or other lights in the garage for that.

I have never had a problem with mine, that was purchased 3 years ago. The charge is not great, but it does last for quite a long time. Maybe you got a bad one?

I might have man....my second one only last what I consider a short time when I have both lights activated. Seems like about 20 minutes. Do you know if the red light that illuminates when it charges is supposed to change colors? Mine is always red.

Maybe they have changed the QC, IDK.

Sorry to threadjack.

For something more portable, the Maxfire that was posted earlier is a great tool, when it works. The battery on that thing is horrific, I'm on my second one already, and I haven't even used them that much. One of the bulbs just blew out on my second one. The good thing is, they are reasonably priced.

I have never had a problem with mine, that was purchased 3 years ago. The charge is not great, but it does last for quite a long time. Maybe you got a bad one?

Any dual halogens 500W * 2 will work great.

For something more portable, the Maxfire that was posted earlier is a great tool, when it works. The battery on that thing is horrific, I'm on my second one already, and I haven't even used them that much. One of the bulbs just blew out on my second one. The good thing is, they are reasonably priced.

I don't know what kind of battery they have in them, because mine have always been so sporatic on holding a charge.

Lithium Ion - No memory on charging cycle, can charge them multiple times, thinner, quicker charge, etc.

NiCad - Garbage. You have to run them down, just before they die, and fully charge them...but not leave them on the charger. They have a memory to them, which I can't stand.

But on this light, IDK what kind of battery it is. It seems like the weak point of the light in this mans experience.

I just got mine today to try out..

MAXFIRE DUAL XENON RECHARGEABLE SPOTLIGHT

MaxFire Dual Xenon Rechargeable Spotlight (800-2200-0) | Brinkmann

I just bought this as well. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, though and it doesn't look like I'll get that chance this weekend either. 70% chance of rain. Man, I wish I had a garage!

Difficult to angle the sun to find the swirls in lower panels... Plus I'd like to be able to work in my garage.

The flake in the paint and the color (tungsten grey) make swirls somewhat difficult to see anyway, so I need all the help I can get...

Archived