Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to clean tailpipes?

subseaaggie

Question

15 answers to this question

I cannot get the inside of the pipes showroom new no matter what I try. Any thoughts/tips, or do I need to learn to live with it?

Is this a vehicle you never start and run? Keeping them showroom new will be a constant and very dirty job if you do any sort of normal driving with the car.

I personally like a shiny tip with a black inside.

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/detailers-write-ups/12726.htm

steel wool FTW! your gunna exhaust yourself cleaning them all the time, ive become just happy with the outside being veryyy shinny and having a little buildup inside. for the way i drive with my Borla its just inevitable to be dirty. but it is a plus with the 5" tip i can stick my arm inside haha.

With my new tips, I have been trying to keep them clean so they don't get a build up. I have been spraying quick sealant all over them maybe every few weeks or so. Seems to be helping, we'll see how that works in the long run.

Mine are easy to keep clean (outside) in the warmer months, but winter thrashes them.

X2. I just got done cleaning up the cars exhaust tips last weekend. First step was 0000 steel wool + WD-40 to act as a lubricant to cut the nasty carbon garbage off the inside of the pipe. Next was a new piece of 0000 steel wool with MP1. Then a microfiber applicator and MP2. They came out pretty nice.

I picked the 0000 + WD-40 trick up from Dave (BRZN) so I'm giving credit where credit is due! Plus if you ever have seen his car in person or in photos on here, you know it's clean!:glasses:

Archived